TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vivalaultra

School Bans Cell Phones in NY

I still say there's no reason for kids to have cell phones at school. If there's an emergency, their parents can call the school and have the kid sent down to the office.

The same could be said of your cell phone while you are at work, but i will be fucking damned if my job was to tell me that I couldn't bring a cell to work.

I don't think you understand the difference between high school and a job, or the difference between children and adults.

He's right, as far as teachers having cell phones goes. The teacher shouldn't be allowed to interrupt the class for their own personal issues if the student can't.

That kind of goes without saying. Same goes for teachers checking their personal e-mail. Class time should be time devoted to helping students, not for personal matters.

Ok, fair. I'm glad you didn't use a double standard.

Jerk, even if I were to agree with you that cell phones should absolutely not be allowed in school (though I don't, because if every misc. call were to be done at the office, that'd be insane. I don't know about you, but I used that school pay phone rather than use hte office's phone to phone my parents because the office would pretty well tell me to fuck off if I said I needed it to tell my parents my practice was going longer, etc. etc.), it is completely unrealistic to expect kids not to have cell phones at school. Rather than ban them outright, I don't think asking kids to keep their cells in their lockers during class is unfair on either side. Banning something outright that isn't a danger to the school never works because teens are rebellious by nature. You, of all people as a teacher, should know that.

Jerk, even if I were to agree with you that cell phones should absolutely not be allowed in school (though I don't, because if every misc. call were to be done at the office, that'd be insane. I don't know about you, but I used that school pay phone rather than use hte office's phone to phone my parents because the office would pretty well tell me to fuck off if I said I needed it to tell my parents my practice was going longer, etc. etc.), it is completely unrealistic to expect kids not to have cell phones at school. Rather than ban them outright, I don't think asking kids to keep their cells in their lockers during class is unfair on either side. Banning something outright that isn't a danger to the school never works because teens are rebellious by nature. You, of all people as a teacher, should know that.

My school's pretty good about letting kids use te phone to contact parents. If there's to be a cell phone ban, this is a compromise the school needs to be willing to make. We don't have pay phones in our building, but I know that's not typical. Of course its unrealistic to expect every student to follow every rule all of the time, but that doesn't mean the rules shouldn't exist. The penalty for getting caught using a cell phone in school is that you have to pick your phone up from the office at the end of the day.

I'll tell you this...I'm guessing the implication of this new policy went something like this:

1. Teachers were having a hard time because cell phones kept going off.

2. Teachers would tell kids to turn the phone off, but half of the kids would forget.

3. Teachers would try to punish the repeat offenders, but this was uneffective without a building-wide policy. (If you have ANY rule in your class that is different than the rules any other teachers have--whether its food, sode, gum, etc.--kids will try to argue against the fairness of the rule by saying other teachers allow it. I make it a policy not to argue with kids, but good luck getting a kid to shut up about something if they think they're being treated even the tiniest bit unfairly.)

4. Teachers ask for a buildng-wide ban, so the rule will be enforced evenly (in theory).

5. Principal or district level adminstrator decides to extend ban to entire building because of other problems associated with cell phones, and figures it be easiest just to ban them outright, and not have to worry about establishing a set of protocols for when it is or isn't appropriate (which 75% of kids are going to ignore anyways).

When I was in high school, 5 years ago, we couldn't have beepers/cell phones. Then again, not too many kids had them back then.

When I was in highschool, cell phones hadn't even been thought of as an everyday tool yet, the big thing in my days of school was pagers, and boy where they fucking annoying, I wish my school would have banned them and I applaud this ban.

I don't recall anyone at my high school having a cell phone or pager (I graduated in '98). I know another local school in the area banned pagers, because they figured they were being used by drug dealers.

Pagers where the big thing when I graduated (`97), but working with students in the high school for a college course showed that cell phone use is prevallent. The school I worked at had a school wide policy that if the phone was heard (not just the buzz of manner mode) or seen aside from simple checking who called, (in case it was an emergency)it was taken by the teacher and the student could get it back from the teacher at the end of the day. If the kid tried to fight it, an administrator was called down and the phone was taken for the rest of the week.

The students had to have their parents sign a release to this effect (since kids can't legally sign a contract).

In the hallways, lunch... it was free game. There was only one incident I saw where a kid was just having a pissy day and forgot to turn off his ringer, and fought with the teacher. Other than that kids never forgot to turn off their ringer more than once.

While I was student teaching this spring about every other day a cell phone would go off in class. After the third time that happened I gave the students detention if that occured.

To get back at the students that would leave their phones on I would call the students from out of the room and when they would answer the phone I would tell them to shut the phone off. The problem soon disappeared for me.

While I was student teaching this spring about every other day a cell phone would go off in class. After the third time that happened I gave the students detention if that occured.

To get back at the students that would leave their phones on I would call the students from out of the room and when they would answer the phone I would tell them to shut the phone off. The problem soon disappeared for me.

How'd you get their numbers?

Guest Felonies!
(in case it was an emergency)it was taken by the teacher and the student could get it back from the teacher at the end of the day. If the kid tried to fight it, an administrator was called down and the phone was taken for the rest of the week.

This is an issue I never had a chance to press in high school: when a teacher tries to confiscate something, why doesn't the kid just refuse? She wants your phone, just shut it off and stuff it in your backpack. Problem solved and the bitch didn't take your belongings. Would the stupid teacher really be willing to go into some tug-of-war for the contraband and cause a ridiculous scene just to come out on top? Call the school cop? "He's got a cell! We need backup!" High school teachers are the worst. I rarely respected mine.

How'd you get their numbers?

One of the students gave me his number to use. I called the student when he was sleeping in class to give him a wake up call.

I mean, on occaision, it pisses me off when are in a huge lecture hall or even a small class and some skanks "Dont Cha" ringer goes off, but I think cellphones arent as bad as people make them out to be. When I was in high school 3-4 years ago, there was a "ban" on cellphones/pagers, but everyone under the sun had a cell phone, but you never saw people in the hallways on the phone or anything like that. I also think that its much eaiser for parents to be able to contact their children directly in case of emergency.

For example, my senior year during finals, someone decided that blocking my driveway would be a good idea, and I'm freaking out because I have a final in like 15 minutes and my school is 10 mins away and plus I still have to drob off my brother and sister at the middle school which is an extra ten minutes. I call my mom, asking her what I should do as far as either getting the car out of the way, or getting a ride to school, which sucked because my dad was out of town at that point. So, I find the person who is blocking the driveway, ask them to move, and go about my business. Now fast foward 45 mins, it is almost halfway through my exam, I am at my locker putting my books away trying to make it to class, and my phone goes off. Keep in mind there is no one in the hallway and I'm not by any classrooms. My mom is calling to make sure everything ok, and of course I have to take the call just to let her know that everything is fine, and whatnot. So as I am taking the call, the very large special education teacher decides that this is a good time to confiscate my cell phone. Being on the phone with my mother, I simply go hold on, this teacher is trying to take my phone, want to talk to her. My mom berates the lady about how this way an emergency and she has no right to take my property that I own, blah blah blah. The teacher still takes my phone and threatens to write me up on my second to last day of high school ever. I simply laugh at her, and tell her to go ahead and write me up. 4th hour comes, and I pick up the phone from the Asst. Principal while I am working in the office. He explains to me how illogical it is to have such a rule about cell phones in place and that enforcing it when a student is talking to a parent was probably not the best action. Long story short, I don't feel that someone should be able to tell me, in a public school, that my parents tax dollars help fund that I can't use my cell phone in an emergency or even carry one on me. As far as them being used for cheating, it would be so blatantly obvious if someone is text messaging or constantly checking their phone during an exam that I would find it hard to believe that any teacher would not notice it. I can understand punishing students who go overboard with it, meaning talking in class or whatever, but for the average kid who only uses their phone for legit reasons or when they are off campus at lunch, it is a pointless idea to ban them, because people will bring them anyway.

I don't personally have a problem with someone bring their phone into class. Just be courteous and at least turn the ringer off. If you get a call, and absolutely have to take it, just silently excuse yourself from class. This would apply to a college anyways. I know a high school teacher wouldn't take too kindly to someone just up and walking out of class. It doesn't take a genius to figure this stuff out.

The youngest kid I've ever seen with a phone was this "traveler" girl that used to come into the Radio Shack where i worked. She was about 7 at the most, and had one of the most expensive phones that Sprint sold at the time. I had thought it may belong to her parents, so one day I asked her Mom (since they were frequent customers) and found out it was in fact the kid's.

I mean, on occaision, it pisses me off when are in a huge lecture hall or even a small class and some skanks "Dont Cha" ringer goes off, but I think cellphones arent as bad as people make them out to be. When I was in high school 3-4 years ago, there was a "ban" on cellphones/pagers, but everyone under the sun had a cell phone, but you never saw people in the hallways on the phone or anything like that. I also think that its much eaiser for parents to be able to contact their children directly in case of emergency.

For example, my senior year during finals, someone decided that blocking my driveway would be a good idea, and I'm freaking out because I have a final in like 15 minutes and my school is 10 mins away and plus I still have to drob off my brother and sister at the middle school which is an extra ten minutes. I call my mom, asking her what I should do as far as either getting the car out of the way, or getting a ride to school, which sucked because my dad was out of town at that point. So, I find the person who is blocking the driveway, ask them to move, and go about my business. Now fast foward 45 mins, it is almost halfway through my exam, I am at my locker putting my books away trying to make it to class, and my phone goes off. Keep in mind there is no one in the hallway and I'm not by any classrooms. My mom is calling to make sure everything ok, and of course I have to take the call just to let her know that everything is fine, and whatnot. So as I am taking the call, the very large special education teacher decides that this is a good time to confiscate my cell phone. Being on the phone with my mother, I simply go hold on, this teacher is trying to take my phone, want to talk to her. My mom berates the lady about how this way an emergency and she has no right to take my property that I own, blah blah blah. The teacher still takes my phone and threatens to write me up on my second to last day of high school ever. I simply laugh at her, and tell her to go ahead and write me up. 4th hour comes, and I pick up the phone from the Asst. Principal while I am working in the office. He explains to me how illogical it is to have such a rule about cell phones in place and that enforcing it when a student is talking to a parent was probably not the best action. Long story short, I don't feel that someone should be able to tell me, in a public school, that my parents tax dollars help fund that I can't use my cell phone in an emergency or even carry one on me. As far as them being used for cheating, it would be so blatantly obvious if someone is text messaging or constantly checking their phone during an exam that I would find it hard to believe that any teacher would not notice it. I can understand punishing students who go overboard with it, meaning talking in class or whatever, but for the average kid who only uses their phone for legit reasons or when they are off campus at lunch, it is a pointless idea to ban them, because people will bring them anyway.

In that specific situation it seems what you did was ok and the faculty lady was just being a bitch, but seriously dude, people got along fine without cell phones up to what, 5 years ago? Now people act like "OMG WHAT ABOUT An.....EMERGENCY" like Emegencies never happened before the year 2000. Most schools have pay phones, most parents that work have a work phone number. Sure, is it a little more inconvenient to do that, yeah, but people did it for decades before the cell phone became a regular part of society and emergencies were taken care of just fine.

We had a strict rule in high school that no cell phones, or anyother electronics, were allowed during exams. It really isn't hard to compromise on cell phones. I think the extreme opinion either way is too much. No, students should have their cell phones on during class time with them, but not allowed at all to have them at school? That's going a bit far.

Guest wildpegasus
(in case it was an emergency)it was taken by the teacher and the student could get it back from the teacher at the end of the day. If the kid tried to fight it, an administrator was called down and the phone was taken for the rest of the week.

This is an issue I never had a chance to press in high school: when a teacher tries to confiscate something, why doesn't the kid just refuse? She wants your phone, just shut it off and stuff it in your backpack. Problem solved and the bitch didn't take your belongings. Would the stupid teacher really be willing to go into some tug-of-war for the contraband and cause a ridiculous scene just to come out on top? Call the school cop? "He's got a cell! We need backup!" High school teachers are the worst. I rarely respected mine.

You really, really need an attitude adjustment. Respect is a two way street my friend

I would've LOVED to have seen you try to do something similar in the 70s or 60s. Just for the hilarity of it.

No good, spoiled kids. What's the world coming to these days?

But what use does a high school student have for a cell phone anyway?

The only reason Mommy and Daddy should be calling you during school hours is if a relative is in the hospital or has passed away. That's it.

Mommy and Daddy can't call the office for that?

I don't necessarily agree that they should be banned outright, but turn them off. If buying a gallon of milk is that important, every cell phone plan in the world has free voice mail these days.

The problem is our society is devolving to a level where the average person can't think for themselves. Instead of telling our kids to go to an administrator in school if they have an issue, or talk to a teacher, they have to call mommy and daddy immediately on their cell phone. If the parent needs to reach the kid, they can't go through the front office, they have to call the kid immediately. We're so used to being instantly connected that we are losing our ability to function coherently in a normal everyday environment. Just look at how many idiots you see on the road with the phone glued to their face, jaw jacking away instead of watching out for other drivers.

Guest Felonies!
You really, really need an attitude adjustment. Respect is a two way street my friend

I would've LOVED to have seen you try to do something similar in the 70s or 60s. Just for the hilarity of it.

You're a fucking idiot and you play an even bigger one on the board. You'd understand where I was coming from if you didn't practically live on another planet. Teachers that are more hung up on being in control rather than imparting any knowledge on their students are a waste of time. Ignorant classmates always pissed me off, but I was always silently, or not so silently, rooting for the insubordination crowd. I got along incredibly well with my teachers when they were good at their jobs. But for cases like my communications teacher, teaching a ridiculous curriculum that had a lot to do with "proactive mission statements" and emotional blackmail and all that 7 Habits shit, I always had to pull for the kids who would say "this course is bullshit and you suck" right in the middle of class. I never respected them as students or even as human beings outside those 45 minutes, but they spoke the truth, and that was insanely cool. Yeah they got kicked out of class for the duration of the semester and failed, but hey, it was cool. Bad teachers are a cancer.

You're a fucking idiot and you play an even bigger one on the board. You'd understand where I was coming from if you didn't practically live on another planet. Teachers that are more hung up on being in control rather than imparting any knowledge on their students are a waste of time. Ignorant classmates always pissed me off, but I was always silently, or not so silently, rooting for the insubordination crowd. I got along incredibly well with my teachers when they were good at their jobs. But for cases like my communications teacher, teaching a ridiculous curriculum that had a lot to do with "proactive mission statements" and emotional blackmail and all that 7 Habits shit, I always had to pull for the kids who would say "this course is bullshit and you suck" right in the middle of class. I never respected them as students or even as human beings outside those 45 minutes, but they spoke the truth, and that was insanely cool. Yeah they got kicked out of class for the duration of the semester and failed, but hey, it was cool. Bad teachers are a cancer.

Yes, by all means, us teachers should just let kids do whatever they want. Nevermind the fact that we're actually government employees paid and entrusted to teach a curriculum mandated by the government in a school paid for with your parents' money.

Dude, shut up.

Guest Felonies!

Dude, "proactive mission statements." You gotta root for the kids. Even her colleagues did.

We live in a world where business leaders help set education policy. Pro-active mission statements are all about the corporate mindset.

Guest Coffey

I don't even see how this is an argument. You, basically, don't have any rights when you're in school. You do what the school says, and that's the word. If they say no phones, then guess what? No phones. Didn't y'all get that swank, handy lil' rule book at the beginning of each year? You know, the pamphlet with the do's and don't?

When I was still in high school, you'd have been suspended for having a cell phone or pager. You got suspended for "sagging" your pants. The doors were locked from the outside once school hours started. It was all for precautionary reasons. What's the big deal? Better safe than sorry. What do you think is the point of emergency information cards and a school nurse?

Some people seem to be under the impression that children should have the same rights and privileges as adults, which would be a false claim.

Guest Felonies!
When I was still in high school, you'd have been suspended for having a cell phone or pager. You got suspended for "sagging" your pants. The doors were locked from the outside once school hours started.

AND WE LIKED IT THAT WAY DAMMIT!

My school had security cameras all over the parking lots, but they weren't used for protecting the cars, they were used for making sure nobody went to Taco Bell during lunch. Someone keyed my friend's car, he asked the office why they didn't do anything about it since they saw it happen, they said that's not their problem. Doesn't that kind of rub anyone the wrong way? What's the point of expensive security measures if you don't have your priorities straight? I know someone will come back with "schools aren't liable for any damages to student property," but I think something like that is a slightly bigger concern than a few kids going off campus for fifteen minutes. Whatever: as a smart, involved, middle-class white kid, I and students like myself got tons of preferential treatment from the administration and most teachers (but not that aforementioned comm arts bitch who took pride in a 35% failure rate), so none of us could ever get TOO outraged at the system. Still, schools don't have to be so damn draconian. Give them a reason to enjoy being there.

When I was still in high school, you'd have been suspended for having a cell phone or pager. You got suspended for "sagging" your pants. The doors were locked from the outside once school hours started.

AND WE LIKED IT THAT WAY DAMMIT!

My school had security cameras all over the parking lots, but they weren't used for protecting the cars, they were used for making sure nobody went to Taco Bell during lunch. Someone keyed my friend's car, he asked the office why they didn't do anything about it since they saw it happen, they said that's not their problem. Doesn't that kind of rub anyone the wrong way? What's the point of expensive security measures if you don't have your priorities straight? I know someone will come back with "schools aren't liable for any damages to student property," but I think something like that is a slightly bigger concern than a few kids going off campus for fifteen minutes. Whatever: as a smart, involved, middle-class white kid, I and students like myself got tons of preferential treatment from the administration and most teachers (but not that aforementioned comm arts bitch who took pride in a 35% failure rate), so none of us could ever get TOO outraged at the system. Still, schools don't have to be so damn draconian. Give them a reason to enjoy being there.

You have a point there with the security systems, but hey that is an entirely different issue. I mean I used to work for a Target warehouse and they have 24 hour security surveillence however it was only to catch people stealing from Target. If your care got broken into or stolen, oh fucking well the company would refuse to cooperate and considered your own damn fault for owning a car and parking in their parking lot, but like I said, seperate issue dude.

In that specific situation it seems what you did was ok and the faculty lady was just being a bitch, but seriously dude, people got along fine without cell phones up to what, 5 years ago? Now people act like "OMG WHAT ABOUT An.....EMERGENCY" like Emegencies never happened before the year 2000. Most schools have pay phones, most parents that work have a work phone number. Sure, is it a little more inconvenient to do that, yeah, but people did it for decades before the cell phone became a regular part of society and emergencies were taken care of just fine.

The problem is nowadays, we have emergency scenarios that can require students to remain sheltered in their classrooms away from pay phones, offices and parents. There was a recent situation in Maryland a few days when a student with a gun allegedly entered a high school. Other students were kept in their classrooms but were allowed to contact their parents by cell phones so the parents could be reassured.

The problem is nowadays, we have emergency scenarios that can require students to remain sheltered in their classrooms away from pay phones, offices and parents. There was a recent situation in Maryland a few days when a student with a gun allegedly entered a high school. Other students were kept in their classrooms but were allowed to contact their parents by cell phones so the parents could be reassured.

Yeah, that's what I want. Kids talking on their cell-phones during a life-threatening emergency instead of staying quiet and listening for directions from the adults. Fuck it if the kids get hurt, but their parents need to be called right away so the parents will feel better.

Yeah, that's what I want. Kids talking on their cell-phones during a life-threatening emergency instead of staying quiet and listening for directions from the adults. Fuck it if the kids get hurt, but their parents need to be called right away so the parents will feel better.

The students were kept quiet during the emergency. They text messaged out with the consent of the school.