TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Conference Finals

And since when is averaging double figures in assist playing like trash.

FOR THE THOUSANDTH TIME. THERE IS MORE TO BASKETBALL THAN SCORING. YOU CAN AVERAGE 0.0 POINTS PER GAME AND BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE GUY AVERAGING 20.

I swear. How can the same people singing the praises of Ben Wallace while he shoots 25% from the freethrow line but changes the entire game defensively be calling Nash trash when he was struggling with his shot but still making the entire offense of the suns go.

I don't recall a single game the Suns have played this postseason where Nash was their best player from start to finish. Granted, I didn't see either game 7, but Diaw, Barbosa, Thomas and Marion have all shone much brighter than anyone on Dallas' supporting staff with the exception of Terry.

Game 1 of the Suns/Clippers. Both game 7s.

There's no other team in the postseason that would win a 7 game series if their "best" player was playing like shit for at least 4/7 of the games.

The thing is he wasn't playing like shit. He was shooting like shit, but if you look at the stats, you see that he had something like 13 assists.

Detroit might just be in trouble here. Wade and Shaq barely played, Haslem was a black hole on offense and Miami still won. If they take Game 2, they should be able to close it out in 6.

I tend to side with Ripper and chaosrage in the Steve Nash argument (EDIT: I mean his quality of play in the postseason, Dirk was my MVP choice, too)...that said, I get really sick of people (in general, not Rip and chaosrage in particular) gauging a player's ability to make his teammates better on simply how many assists they compile. Stephon Marbury has averaged 8 assists a game for his career. And don't we all want him leading our team?

But yeah, the game tonight. I agree, I think I might be a little worried if I'm the Pistons. I hope they bounce back, I don't particularly want to see the Heat in the Finals.

bricking that many jumpers and shots that fall short is generally a sign of tired legs, but miami played pretty good perimeter defense, which is the key. They NEED to keep that up though, strong perimeter defense is really the lone way to consistently slow down the pistons. I dont think it was outstanding perimeter D though, det was ungodly bad on some normal shots, but it was pretty good. Miami definately had more energy in the game even when the score was close.

detroit should obviously be worried, but so should miami. detroit played horribly and they still only lost by 5 points.

Guest Princess Leena

Detroit shot miserably, and when Wade was in the game, he was outstanding... so, I don't read too much into this loss. But, then again, Detroit has looked horrible on offense all throughout the playoffs... so, there is some need to worry.

I haven't looked at stats yet, but Detroit's bench must have been horrible tonight. Billups had a bad shooting night, but it looks like all the starters got their numbers, outside of Rasheed.

A road team should never worry about how they got a win.

they should if they want to win 3 more games where the circumstances won't be the same.

A road team should never worry about how they got a win.

they should if they want to win 3 more games where the circumstances won't be the same.

Wade played 26 minutes, Shaq played 29, Haslem didn't score in 37 minutes and they still won. If anything Miami didn't play their 'A' game either. Detroit's legs won't get any fresher playing every 2 days and this is exactly the kind of game Miami would most certainly end up losing the series over if they didn't win it.

I swear. How can the same people singing the praises of Ben Wallace while he shoots 25% from the freethrow line but changes the entire game defensively be calling Nash trash when he was struggling with his shot but still making the entire offense of the suns go.

Maybe because Nash already plays like shit on the defensive end. When his offense is supposed to be the strength of his game, he can't afford to just stop scoring. If Wallace was struggling with defense or rebounding (his two strengths) all through the Cleveland series, I don't think people would give him a free pass. Also, you have to realize that when somebody gets back-to-back MVPs, they're held to a higher standard. I don't think anyone's saying Nash is "trash", just that there are two or three players in the league that are better than him.

I really wasn't trying to hijack the thread from the Detroit/Miami game though (which was supposed to be the focus today). I watched some of it, and I was really impressed with D-Wade and the Heat. They did what they wanted on the offensive end for much of the game, and I really think they're going to take the series. Just remember, that is thing drags on, the Pistons are going to get more and more tired, and now they have to win in Miami if they want to take the series.

This makes his contributions down the stretch even more impressive. I'm sure you're as shocked as I was to discover Timmy didn't get a foul called against him on the play in question.

Diop suffers broken nose in Game 7; will wear face shield

May 23, 2006

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

DALLAS -- Mavericks center DeSagana Diop broke his nose in Game 7 against the San Antonio Spurs and will wear a face shield Wednesday night for the opener of the Western Conference finals against Phoenix.

Diop was injured when he caught an elbow from Spurs star Tim Duncan late in the fourth quarter. Diop stayed in and played stellar defense against Duncan, forcing him to go 1-for-7 in the overtime of Dallas' 119-111 victory.

Diop practiced with teammates Tuesday before being fitted for the shield. The team announced that he would wear the protection indefinitely. Doctors said surgery will not be necessary.

Also, the Suns said they'll decide Wednesday whether Kurt Thomas will play in Game 1.

Thomas, a Dallas native who briefly played for the Mavericks in 1998, missed the last 29 games of the regular season with a stress fracture in his right foot.

"It's more probable," coach Mike D'Antoni said. "It's still a question we'll have to deal with day to day and figure it out. We're not close to making a decision yet."

Just stop. We get it, Duncan's a crybaby, and got preferential treatment from the refs in Game 7. The Mavs were getting a lot of calls on their home floor, too. Either way, the Spurs are out of it now. Get the fuck over it.

I would like to take the chance to pat myself on the back.

I keep reading people saying "NO ONE THOUGHT THE SUNS WOULD GET THIS FAR" and "NO ONE THOUGHT THEY WOULD HAVE A GOOD SEASON WHEN AMARE WENT DOWN"

I would like to point out that not only did I call Boris Diaw being a big addition to the Suns, I also said they wouldn't slip below number 4 in the West and said they would be in the West finals.

This might be the last thing I get right this year so....

Ripper - *pats*

Make sure you use your good hand.

I saw Phoenix making the West finals in the second half of the season, when it became apparent that San Antonio and Dallas were headed for a second-round collision. The Suns were going to easily win the division, and there wasn't one team they could have faced in their half of the bracket that wasn't a winnable series for them.

I think it's just a little emotional hangover from Game 7 against the Spurs. I'm sure they'll come back fine.

HUGE run for the best team in basketball. They outscored Phoenix 11-0 over the course of about 30 seconds.

I don't so much mind Iggy except when he's rooting for a team. You're like the smarmiest fan ever. No offense dude. Just saying. Weren't you the Georgia Tech lover too?

I wonder if Bell's hurt. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would come out of a game for a cramp or something Shawn Marion like.

I told you Harris and Terry would make life miserable for Nash.

I guess they're going to call everything on Phoenix under the basket but nothing on Dallas.

Nash just got away with a charge, so there you go.

Raja's gone. Woo.

I guess they're going to call everything on Phoenix under the basket but nothing on Dallas.

Nash just got away with a charge, so there you go.

Raja's gone. Woo.

Yay! Let's cheer for the misery and pain of another person!