TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WON News and Notes 5/29

Guest Hass of Pain

Stealing is stealing. Every single person in this thread knows that transcribing 10,000 words of the newsletter is wrong. No one will admit it though because they are afraid that if they do, there is a chance they won't get to bootleg it again next week. Point B is really reaching for justification.

Even though everyone knows that I am right, this is an argument I will never win.

Your generalisations are wrong.

Thanks, HTQ.

Are they?

Nobody has given me any reason to believe that I am wrong thus far. All I have been told this far is that I am "ungreatful" (spelling) and making incorrect "generalisations" (spelling).

As Jerry Seinfeld said to George Constanza, what I see is a very cheap man trying to get away with something.

Dave Meltzer works his ass off on the Wrestling Observer Newsletter and without it 75% of the wrestling discussion that occurred on places like this wouldn't occur because there would be no credible information to have have said discussion regarding. I can't think of one good reason to blatantly steal his work, post the only pages of it that 90% of the people here care about and then say “It’s ok, it’s not stealing because he didn’t post the lucha section!”. Whatever helps you sleep at night I suppose.

If someone can give me a good reason I am wrong, I am all for hearing it.

Ah the sign of a desperate man - he starts to point out spelling mistakes, that's a clear cut argument winner isn't it?

Guest Hass of Pain
Ah the sign of a desperate man - he starts to point out spelling mistakes, that's a clear cut argument winner isn't it?

I have already won the argument. Nobody can give me a reason why stealing Dave's work is acceptable.

nah you lost it the second you decided to be all anal about spelling instead of staying on the point.

Guest Coffey

I have already won the argument. Nobody can give me a reason why stealing Dave's work is acceptable.

You're preaching this to a bunch of people that download movies and MP3's all day...

I'm Australian, there's nothing wrong with my spelling of generalisations rather than generalizations.

And you're wrong in suggesting that every one of us knows that quoting parts of WON is morally wrong but we won't speak up.

I'm one of those people and I don't even think that it's morally wrong, let alone not willing to speak up.

Like Coffey said, you're in the wrong place for this type of debate. We simply don't care.

Guest Hass of Pain
Actually, generalisations is acceptable spelling in Canadian English, and I assume British English as well.

You've get to explain to me why I should be greatful. I have a feeling that explanation likely isn't coming.

Actually, generalisations is acceptable spelling in Canadian English, and I assume British English as well.

You've get to explain to me why I should be greatful. I have a feeling that explanation likely isn't coming.

"You've get to explain to me"

Glass houses and all.

You've made your opinion known. Nobody cares. Perhaps this is now the time you decide to leave and cease derailing the topic.

Guest Hass of Pain

Well, you got me there. I'm sure this will turn into a circus of people making fun of me for acknowledging bad spelling and then making a typo, and that will serve as a nice distraction from the point at hand. That point, why it is ok to steal Dave's work? I guess people just don't care.

I will continue to troll this thread until the question is answered though.

Hass...shut up. No one is doing anything wrong by posting the notes from the newsletter. No one is going out and typing out every little thing its saying. Things related to the WWE and TNA are only being posted. So please shut up about it, your not going to stop people from typing it out, just please shut up about it.

Guest Hass of Pain
Hass...shut up. No one is doing anything wrong by posting the notes from the newsletter. No one is going out and typing out every little thing its saying.

You must have missed the first ten thousand words of this post...

The funny thing is I have a feeling I am probably going to get banned for not muffling my discontent with stealing Dave Meltzer's work.

So, you are going to sit here and say that stealing his work is unaceptable? That's fine. Good for you. I still think you're a hipocrite. Are you really going to sit here and preach to us on an internet message board about stealing someones work when you yourself have probably downloaded MP3s that artists worked on, or downloaded a movie, or a match, or something that should have been paid for? If you can honestly say that you havn't done anything of the sort then I respect that, but just because we choose to do something doesn't mean you need to play the parental roll and tell us what we should and should not do.

Face it. We've all done something to 'steal' someones work. If you don't like it, or it makes you feel dirty because you are an oh-so-pure being, then don't fucking read it.

Back to Topic...

Booker T rules.

Guest Hass of Pain

You can't justify bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior. It's the first rule of debate. Sure I have downloaded mp3's. One time, I accidentally kept a copy of a movie from Blockbuster.

In a lot of ways, the Wrestling Observer Newsletter is like the lifeblood of internet wrestling messageboards because we rely so heavily on it for discussion. For people as passionate about wrestling as us, if there is anything that should be supported and not driven further towards obsoletion like the internet has rendered most others, it's this newsletter.

Sorry if my common sense is raining on this parade.

You can't justify bad behavior by pointing to other bad behavior. It's the first rule of debate. Sure I have downloaded mp3's. One time, I accidentally kept a copy of a movie from Blockbuster.

In a lot of ways, the Wrestling Observer Newsletter is like the lifeblood of internet wrestling messageboards because we rely so heavily on it for discussion. For people as passionate about wrestling as us, if there is anything that should be supported and not driven further towards obsoletion like the internet has rendered most others, it's this newsletter.

Sorry if my common sense is raining on this parade.

I wasn't aware that this was debate club. I'm sorry for stating that you're a hipocritical piece of shit. Like I said, if you don't like it and you are that against it then don't fucking read it when it's posted. Just go subscribe to it, read it on your own time.

You could also flip the coin and say Dave Meltzer is stealing from the pockets of these wrestling organizations (and the wrestlers themselves)when he sells spoilers and future story lines in his newsletter.

Guest Hass of Pain

The things that people will convince themselves of to rationalize their own questionable behaviors is astounding.

I am simply stating the truth, that stealing the Wrestling Observer Newsletter isn't right. This has made me the number one heel in these parts. Go figure.

Hass...shut up. No one is doing anything wrong by posting the notes from the newsletter. No one is going out and typing out every little thing its saying.

You must have missed the first ten thousand words of this post...

The funny thing is I have a feeling I am probably going to get banned for not muffling my discontent with stealing Dave Meltzer's work.

I don't think we're stealing anything. We're not making a profit off his work, if anything it's being shared with everyone here.

Guest Hass of Pain

Who are you or anyone to decide who's paid work should or should not be taken and given to other people for free? If Dave Meltzer wanted his newsletter to be free, it would be.

I am really not trying to be an ass here, I just feel pretty strongly against this.

I am really not trying to be an ass here, I just feel pretty strongly against this.
Then you achieve it without trying. as for "#1 heel" - that's funny, and it's your constant, insessant bitching about the same damn thing over and over that's making you disliked

like every 2nd post is you bitching, the rest are us saying some variation of "who gives a shit?" (at least we take turns) - Can you really think of nothing better to do? Well then good news the Newsletter will probably be posted in part here next time it's out, joy and happiness you get to be the "heel" again.

Now run along and listen to your illegal MP3 and watch your stolen movie

Who are you or anyone to decide who's paid work should or should not be taken and given to other people for free? If Dave Meltzer wanted his newsletter to be free, it would be.

Let me ask you a question. If me and you were hanging out and you got your copy of the newsletter and I asked you if I could read it, and you handed it to me so I could read it. Would you consider that stealing?

Okay, sorry if this was posted before, as I stopped reading the thread after Hass of Pain's third post or so on how this is stealing and wrong.

First off, you have already been told of your grammatical error with "get" instead of "yet" or "got," whichever you meant to type. However, in that same sentence, you typed "greatful" instead of "grateful." Also, unless you were going for something else, Charlie Haas' name is not spelled "Hass." So do not bring spelling into this.

Secondly, I want you to consider this analogy. Your friend bought this amazing documentary on the Civil War, and knows you are a Civil War buff. He tells you about it and decides to make you a copy. Maybe only a copy of one of the tapes from the very long documentary. WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU TO WATCH THIS TAPE, AND WHO THE FUCK IS HE TO COPY SOMETHING HE BOUGHT? See the point? Label it stealing if you must, but the only way this copy got to people who did not purchase it is from someone who did.

Besides not everyone is willing/can afford to buy Meltzer's newsletter. In my opinion it is the person who posts the newsbits's decision to do so. HTQ decided to post it, so let's not lambast him. Meltzer still profits from the hundreds of people who do subscribe. The news sites around the internet posts tidbits of his work, and he seems to not have cared, so why should you?

If it's that big of a deal, I'll go back to paraphrasing the WWE news from the Observer. The main reason I did a full scan/transcription this week is that news was such that I’d have written just as much whatever I did, and I decided to just go all out and scan/transcribe it all.

I notice that the news site that Haas of Pain promotes in his sig, and I think he writes for it as well, has transcripts and excerpts of copyrighted material as part of its content. Can I assume that permission was obtained from Ring of Honor, Pro Wrestling Torch, etc, before this material was used?

Hey, guess what? No one really gives a fuck what you feel strongly against.

Don't close it, I'm sure people have plenty to say about the actual news but Hass's little fit sorta sidetracked everyone.