TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Bernard Hopkins is giving Tarver a boxing lession...

Now that was total domination.

Hopkins made Tarver his bitch, and he won every single round. Fuck all the haters who said Hopkins had no chance, and only fights people smaller then him.

What a way to go out by defeating the #1 Light Heavyweight, GOODBYE TO THE GREATEST!

EDIT: Looks like Tarver lost his $250,000 saying he would knock out Hopkins in less then 5. Dumbass.

Holy shit I'm pretty surprised.

He shut up the people that said he was only a good P4P guy fighting weaker opponents.

And Tarver should stick to Rocky movies rather than trying to jump up to heavyweight in real life. I bet he uses the weight cutting as an excuse.

I'm happy for the Executioner. I'm sick of Tarver's shit talking and glad he got humbled. . . err beaten, since I'm sure he's not been humbled in the least.

I am suprised. Kudos to B-Hop for what was seemingly a dominating performance. I am assuming HBO will show it on TV next week prior to the Taylor vs. Winky Wright Fight....should be a good fight.

Your assumption is right. Taylor-Wright should be something special...but Ill be at Bonnaroo, so Im going to miss it despite only being a couple hours from Memphis.

Good article pretty much from B-Hop himself.

Can You Hear Me Now?

by Bernard Hopkins as told to Brian Adams (June 12, 2006)

Photo © Rob DeLorenzo/ Golden Boy

Give us your feedback

I secured my boxing legacy after I successfully made 20 defenses of my middleweight crown. That legacy was added to a few years before that when I easily defeated the mighty Felix Trinidad. For years now I've been telling all that I wouldn't rest until I accomplish what my hero Sugar Ray Robinson couldn't accomplish. And for years the naysayers ignored my words, because (in their opinion) I was an egotistical, selfish bastard who talked too much. I got one question for those same naysayers: Can you hear me now?

Several years back I told the world that I made a promise to my mother that I wouldn't box past the age of 40 unless it was for the opportunity to win what Sugar Ray Robinson attempted to win. I made it my business to negotiate with Antonio Tarver, who is the best light heavyweight in the world (or was at least). I could have chosen a lesser opponent for my farewell fight in my home town of Philadelphia, but why? I wanted to hear people say that I was crazy and out of my mind. I wanted to have all of the "disadvantages" that they said I would have.

I understand that at the age of 17, when most teenagers are in school getting their diploma, I was in a state prison getting my hard knock life degree. But what I don't understand is why in the world do all of these college graduates, corporate investors and intelligent speaking people keep thinking that I'm crazy? I've done things my way my entire career and thank God that everything has been, thus far, historic.

I kept hearing the doubters claim that Tarver is just too big for me. If you were judging the outcome on that theory, then you're the crazy one. Size has nothing to do with skills and intelligence. I know what I'm capable of and what any boxer who gets into the ring with me is capable of. After that loss to Roy Jones Jr. in RFK Stadium in Washington DC, I promised myself that focus and determination will be the keys to my success..

I took a look at Tarver's eyes throughout the press tour and I saw a guy who lacked focus and determination. He didn't have the focus to understand that a 41 year old man who was coming off two controversial losses was calling him out. Instead, he accepted an offer from Sly Stallone to be in the upcoming movie Rocky 6. He didn't have the determination to understand that by making a bet of $250,000 that it would hurt his mental toughness in the long run. I made the same mistake when I bet William Joppy $50,000 that I would knock him out. I was determined to win the bet, but I wasn't determined to knock him out because I allowed him to survive and I wasn't smart in my attack.

Boxing's ultimate king, Sugar Ray Robinson, tried to be the first middleweight champ to successfully win the light heavyweight title. He came extremely close but due to the heat conditions, he failed. I admire Ray Robinson so much that I always knew that I would follow in his steps and eventually do what he failed to do. But in order to do so there were a few obstacles in my way.

First obstacle: I'm a true gym rat and I've never walked around higher than 165 pounds, so how was I to train for a fight in a weight class that was 15 pounds higher? The answer was simple. Bring in the assistance of fitness guru Mackie Shilstone to guide me in putting on weight properly. That was the determination side of me.

Second obstacle: I'm a very good defensive fighter with a 70" reach who is facing a defensive minded southpaw with a 73" reach and a long left hand. So how will I be able to get inside and avoid ending up like Roy Jones Jr? Simple - understand my strengths and his weaknesses. That was the focus side of me.

Tarver knocked Roy Jones out and immediately yelled at people, demanding they give him respect. That right there shows lack of focus and determination. I thrived on the naysayers and those who refused to give me my due. I had an agenda to myself as well as my family and not to the public or powers to be. My agenda was always a selfish one - selfish in the manner where as long as I'm healthy, wealthy and can provide for mine, then I'll be happy. I wanted to do things my way and was more than willing to fight the system. I was 17 and in a situation where, statistics show, that I should have been back inside not long after I got released. But I refused to be normal.

When I turned pro everyone told me that the professional game is a certain way and it can't be changed if I intend on having a successful career. But no, I refused then to be part of the system and I refused now.

Now things will take a different turn because I'm keeping my word about Saturday being the last time you will see Bernard Hopkins in the ring fighting. My main focus now is to develop, guide and promote all the boxers at Golden Boy East. My nephew Demetrius had a sensational one punch knockout on Wednesday night and it helped inspire me for my performance. The entire Golden Boy Promotion will take over boxing and bring the sport some credibility.

I'm sure the naysayers will still be talking. But this time they will be doubting the fact that me and Oscar will be able to work together peacefully. They will say we will lose the trust of the young boxers one day. But just like I told everyone before the night of June 10th, I enjoy proving them wrong and I love it when they ignore me. When the smoke is clear on the promotional aspect of things, and Hollywood comes knocking at my door about doing my life, I'll look all you in the face and ask once again: Can you hear me now?

Side note from Adams: I have to admit - and Bernard might not speak to me for a while - but I was in Atlantic City and came back to NY before the start of the fight because I was a bit scared for my friend. Yes, I'm amateur buddies with Tarver, but I'm close with Bernard and I didn't think he could avoid that big left hand all night. I figured at some point of the bout Tarver would land that left and possibly knock Bernard out. I hate being wrong, but in this case I'm glad to have been wrong. I missed the chance to witness history live and I would like to say to my friend Bernard: you are a special athlete, but more importantly, a special person.

From MaxBoxing.