TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO ECW TV Thread - June 13th 2006

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

I liked that...Trinity is now with the F.B.I.

Did the Zombie go over Sandman?

Did John Cena win the title back?

Was Jerry Lawler announcing?

Was Stephanie McMahon presented as the owner of ECW?

Did they promise Sting only to deliver 20 minutes of Jeff Jarrett promos?

Yes, it could've been worse.

In other words, instead of raping and sodomizing the corpse of ECW they just raped it and pissed down its throat.

That was WCW Thunder-level terrible. Just the absolute worst possible start to the 'new' ECW.

Thats my thoughts exactly. Having guys like Gerwitz or Steph or whoever the fuck else writing last nights show except for maybe Heyman with ideas also coming from Lagana and maybe Dreamer on a small level is just plain retarded and that appears to be what we got last night. I'd be shocked if Heyman had basically no creative input on the show last night with the way it was booked.

Alot have already covered the changes that NEED to be done, some are valid like the obvious being moving them off the Smackdown tapings as well as moving the ECW show to be either a tape delayed broadcast of a part of what may visually look like just a house show, or else always having some low production running on all the ECW shows, and the TV broadcast bunches the "best" of that 3-4 day run, spread out within the show. The obvious change which needs to happen NOW is bottom line, getting the fingerprints off the product so it clearly doesnt at least "seem" like WWE is that knee deep in it. The way they handled and presented both One Night Stands worked great, but the show last night was just a complete opposite of that.

Some things like Sandman and others having their original entrance songs now into these Jim Johnson produced tracks is acceptable in reality as long as other parts of the product remained authentic, but turned into more hybrids of those authentic ECW structures from before. In other words, they have to walk before they can crawl with this brand and not worry about the small things like getting Enter Sandman back right now, as there are much more vital things that need to be changed now before we see perhaps XFL like drop offs in the brand interest week to week.

Extremely Tepid

First things first: if you have visited a website either run by (or featuring reader "feedback" from) idiots declaring last night's ECW Debut "the worst hour of wrestling ever broadcast," then please promise me you'll never go back there again. OO will have plenty more on that issue tomorrow, though. For now, our business is to fill you in on the results of ECW's first night back as a full-time promotion. You had sex and violence. You had solid promo work (albeit by WWE's Edge). You had a pleasantly surprising finish when Sabu (instead of Big Show) won a main event Battle Royale. Then again, you also had a bit too much of a focus on WWE/RAW guys, you had vampires and Zombies, and you had a total lack of significant in-ring action. The Cubs Fan has details in the ECW Recap.

Not that he's biased against other sites or anything.

Guest Coffey
I haven't

I haven't either. I haven't seen worse episodes during the dying days of WCW. At least we got a decent cruiser tag or something on those shitty shows.

People should have seen this coming.

I don't think people expected something so incredibly awful and without merit.

I didn't expect it to be THAT bad, and it probably won't continue to be, but the basic problem will remain.

People should have seen this coming.

I don't think people expected something so incredibly awful and without merit.

I didn't expect it to be THAT bad, and it probably won't continue to be...

With the rating it got, I expect an even worse show next week as Vince goes further into the realms of complete idiocy and nonsensical garbage.

I DVR'd the show, to watch when I got back home later... Out of a possible hour, that garbage took maybe 25 minutes to get through and that's while still watching lots of things I didn't find interesting.

The opening promo should have been on Raw. That's all it concerned. Make Cena look good and establish Edge for Vengeance, where he'll probably go over RVD to take the WWE title back to Raw. RVD and Heyman were just props to get the WWE guys over.

Angle vs. Credible? Boring. I don't care what Tazz says. Kurt is not extreme. He chokes people and yells more now. Big fucking deal. The guy that had classic matches with Benoit at the 03 Rumble and Taker at NWO 06 was the REAL Kurt Angle. This "extreme" version sucks and doesn't put on good matches. Shit, the Angle that showed up for Summer Slam 01 against Austin was more believably intense and extreme than this piss poor version.

The girl stripping. Eh, she was hot, but honestly, what the fuck is this doing on a wrestling show? Like someone said earlier, Kimona she ain't.

There was no need for an entire replay of Tazz/Lawler from ONS. None. It's a fucking one hour show!

The Battle Royal was totally lame and a carbon copy of any WWF Hardcore match from 2000. Cookie sheets and street signs. EXTREME~!

And nice to see Show treated exactly like he was in WWE. When Sabu is the best performer on your show, you have serious problems. I'll watch next week, but with more of a car-crash expectation, instead of something that could be decent.

Did the Zombie go over Sandman?

Did John Cena win the title back?

Was Jerry Lawler announcing?

Was Stephanie McMahon presented as the owner of ECW?

Did they promise Sting only to deliver 20 minutes of Jeff Jarrett promos?

Yes, it could've been worse.

Except for Cena winning the title back, all of those pale in comparison to Big Show destroying the entire ECW roster in one match and Kurt Angle squashing a former ECW world champion in less than a minute. It could not have been much worse. Every single ECW guy now (other than RVD and Sabu) looks like a jobber on their own show. No matter what they do on the next few shows, it'll be almost impossible for anyone to be able to take ECW seriously again.

Ok well I will say this much, maybe compared to some really shitty Thunders and "C" shows like Heat, and whatever else, this may have not been the "worst single wrestling show ever" (it came close though) but there is no question that this had to be one of the most dissapointing "debut" wrestling shows in history. Period.

There was NO spark or feel like there is any reason whatsoever to check out the show next week. How they promoted ECW "invading" Raw next week also made me have flashbacks on how ho-hum they always played up that supposed "interpromotional feud" during the Alliance days where it came to the fact that week to week, they were doing too much of the shit that had no point between the brands, which in turn made the product overall just hard to follow, or more importantly, care about. Another strong tie to now and the Alliance days is that in both periods, there was a pretty strong theme of that no characters on all brands were really being developed when there is too much going on. So all characters were bland and nobody got over, and/or the fans didnt care about shit because it was either just boring or plain bad. The writers are not talented enough in WWE to do it as they clearly lose focus when you have to juggle projects (understandably), especially ones they dont get. This is what it has now returned to in a way with the ECW/WWE interweavings on and off screen. Raw/Smackdown interaction has worked for me 75 percent of the time because you feel like there is more spark or thought put into it because at least there is some understanding of the definitions of the WWE brand. This now feels booked on the fly, pointless, unintersting and generally just not focused enough for it to work for the success of either WWE or the ECW brand.

I found myself still wanting to watch the whole show in its entirety last night, hoping it would get better or at least "feel ECW" as an oldschool ECW fan, but also it got to the point where it turned into the "car crash" syndrome where I kept watching it knowing it was only going to probably get more fucked up, but yet I was interested to see just how fucked up it got.

I would have paid $$$ to been an observer inside Titan Towers today just to get what the internal buzz about last night was, thats all I know. I'm sure everyone is creaming over the rating and now the problem is that they may not want to stray far away from what they did (or more importantly, what they didnt do) last night, thinking that its working.

I just had an AM talk show on, and as they were running out of time the music they used to take them to commercial was Prong's "Snap Your Finger, Snap Your Neck" Hell it felt more like ECW for that 15 seconds then for the entire hour last night.

Guest Coffey

The Zombie was wrestlecrap. You couldn't help but laugh at it 'cause it was so abyssmal. Like Steiner & Chucky, Shockmaster or Robocop.

Guest The Spike
Hell, ECW on TNN was awesome. Granted, I couldn't see it when it aired due to work, but looking back on tapes in the past year or two, a lot of it was incredible (although, some of it was repitious but that's beside the point).

If there was ever a show that needed Cyrus's "Excuse me! Excuse . . . me!" line, last night was definitely it.

However, like an idiot, I still have a grain or two of hope that we'll get a quality wrestling show when Vengeance is over. I am NOT expecting ECW: Hardcore TV 2006, just some quality and/or violent wrestling with a decent angle or two. The presentation (ppv ads, arena shots, clean production) doesn't bother me in the least if the product ends up being pretty good.

I concur. The actual format and pacing of the TNN version was so much better. The only real complaint I had with it was all the commercials.

Last nights show just seemed to do everything wrong. I'm also hoping for some sort of improvement.

Hell at least with TNA they do 2-3 weeks of tapings per show so the fans get their money's worth.

and they get it for free!

From the sounds of things, this show licked balls. I kinda saw it coming because this was NEVER going to be the same as it was 10 years ago. The rating for the show pisses me off (1. cause its better than TNA's and 2. Cause its a piss poor show that doesnt deserve it)

I cant believe they used the once great name of ECW to put Cena over.

Someone stated earlier that The Zombie sqaush put the sandman over, how exactly? He beat up a jobber. TNA used to do this on there first Spike shows, it doesnt work.

I hope to got that they were wrong about Heyman booking the show. For shame.

And Styles telling the crowd not to swear, Get fucked. This is supposed to be ECW. Not fuckin Happy kid time hour.

The only reason im going to watch this on sunday is just to see how bad it really was.

---------------------------------

Oh and Just John, you missed the best bit of the war of words between Lalwer and Tazz in your sig:

Joey Styles: Sports entertainment is what gave Finlay a leprechaun on Smackdown!

Jerry Lawler: There's a leprechaun on Smackdown?

Tazz (dejectedly): Yeah, there's a leprechaun on Smackdown.

Jerry Lawler: Tazz you are a leprechaun

Double Post, but:

I just had an AM talk show on, and as they were running out of time the music they used to take them to commercial was Prong's "Snap Your Finger, Snap Your Neck" Hell it felt more like ECW for that 15 seconds then for the entire hour last night.

Man that is a fucking great song! although when he screams towards the end he sounds more like he stubbed his toe.

I will wait to see what happens in the four weeks following Vengeance. That's when things will get interesting. After that PPV, it would make SENSE that they would start being seperate, because Edge would be done with it, Cena would be done with it, etc etc etc.

I suspect the following at Vengeance:

1) Edge to win the WWE title, leading to a Cena chase that will start to raise Raw ratings again.

2) Either (a) Kurt Angle to win again or (b) Randy Orton to win after Big Show turns back to WWE's side.

3) Cena and Sabu to not have a definitive winner either way.

From ECW.com

Heyman speaks on the success of Sci-Fi debut

June 14, 2006

A day after the successful world premiere of ECW on Sci-Fi, an enthusiastic Paul Heyman sat down with ECW.com to discuss the ramifications of the newly re-launched brands auspicious debut.

“Our first show has clearly sent a very strong message that there is now legitimate competition out there for both Friday Night SmackDown and Monday Night RAW. I think that now, everyone realizes that ECW is not just a dream, ECW is not something that may happen in the future, it’s here. It’s to be dealt with and it’s happening, and it’s been reborn and it’s on the map. There is no wondering what’s going to happen if ECW happens. ECW is happening now.”

ECW “happens” every Tuesday night, live at 10/9 CT and only on Sci-Fi.

:throwup:

Oh, www.ecw.com also has some clips of the ECW TV show from last night......lol.

Guest The Great Muta

Someone definitely had a gun to Paul E.'s head to make him say that...

I was just about to post it also.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, the first show has clearly sent a very strong message indeed. And no, there is no more wondering what would happen if ECW returned, no more of that at all.

There have already been reports that Heyman was mad backstage saying how much he thought the show sucked, and we know this is just a scripted comment on the web site, but still...it's just wrong.

I just watched the video of that chick stripping on ECW. It nearly made me want to cry that someone booked that as a great idea. It wasn't sexy, it wasnt entertaining, it wasnt ECW.

But i nearly pissed myself watching her unable to undo HER OWN fucking bra!