TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DCMaximo

Boris Zukhov

I was watching WWF World Tour earlier and the first match was Jimmy Snuka, seemingly right at the start of his comeback, against Boris Zukhov in a singles match, which is surprisingly decent. A few things stood out as strange. Firstly, Boris was being managed by Jimmy Hart, not Slick, who had managed the Bolsheviks. No mention of Nikolai or their team was made by the commentators. Boris got a lot of offence in, dominating Snuka, which seems odd for Superfly's comeback. It almost seems like they were preparing Zukhov for a solo run, of which I have no memory. Can anyone shed some light on this

Volkoff was out of the WWF for much of 1989. Not sure why, perhaps an injury. That particular match was supposed to be Snuka vs. Honky (to which there was a feud) but for whatever reason HTM wasn't there so Zhukov subbed which is why Hart was managing him for one night only. Ironically, on that same tape Snuka vs. Honky did take place from MSG.

Guest whalewager.com

Didn't Zukhov leave the AWA around that time, while still one half of the AWA Tag Champs?? Possible that McMahon promised him a decent push for doing this??

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Fun Fact: 6/29/86 Denver, CO @ McNichols Arena

Nick Bockwinkel beat Stan Hansen via forfeit to win AWA title

Battle Royal

Verne Gagne & Greg Gagne & Jimmy Snuka beat Nord The Barbarian & Boris Zhukov & Sheik Adnan

Hansen's no show and Verne's last match both that night. Boris has a lil bit of history in that.

Guest hasbeen
Didn't Zukhov leave the AWA around that time, while still one half of the AWA Tag Champs?? Possible that McMahon promised him a decent push for doing this??

I think the WWF was signing whoever they could, all across the country, at that time, to put the nails in the coffins in as many regional promotions as they could. Getting Zukhov wouldn't help the WWF as much as it would hurt the AWA. Same for other leagues all over.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

No. Horrid. Maybe a bit more motivated being a "main eventer" and he had a bit of face paint and an action figure IIRC.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

In the AWA...maybe it was just on his action figure. I think it was around his eye.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

03.jpg

Here's Boris as Pvt Jim Nelson, A member of Sarge's Cobra Corp

boris22.jpg

And here's Boris and company in the AWA with Face paint

I think the guy you called Hercules (beard, fuzzy boots, chain) is actually John Nord (who later did the Berzerker gimmick in the WWF)

Hercules has a much more defined physique and had been with the WWF for years before Zhukov joined - so it's definitly NOT him

As for the last guy being the Stomper? No clue, I thought it might have been Col. DeBeers but I don't remember that much about the AWA.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I wonder what show that occured on. I would guess AWA, but I don't remember Stomper ever being there.