TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

Ultimate Fighter 3 Finale Thread

The problem with Matt is he doesn't seem to take into account situations that would put him on defense. Remember on the show, he got rocked in practice and it sent him to the hospital. He seems like he is going to be cocky until he is truly tested in the ring by a striker. Sure, because of his superior wrestling ability, it will get him a lot of wins, but when he comes across the wrong opponent, the loss could be devastating as he doesn't seem to be very prepared for having to change a gameplan or take a punch.

Koscheck has already improved exponentially since his TUF days. His ability to improve position has already surpassed that many wrestlers-turned-MMA'ers (though his inability to keep mount is cause for concern), and he can finish if given the opprotunity. His stand-up and G&P aren't where they should, but he himself realizes is need to get over the timidity that affects his striking. Add in world class wrestling (arguable the best at WW) and loads of mental toughness, and the kid easily looks like a future champ.

Having watched Ed/Kendall three times now, I completely agree with the judges' decision. Ed won Rd.1 10-9 and then Kendall won the other two 10-9. I was thinking that this would be Bonnar/Griffin II and it was, but these two spent more time on the ground.

And I think a UFC PPV in Canada would have an insane atmosphere.

Funny, I just watched the fight again and thought Ed took the last round. Outside of the flying knee and the RNC at the end Kendall was dominated that round. Ed got the takedowns, some good ground and pound and was looking for submissions. 3:45 of that round belong to him. The rest was scrambling and the RNC that (obviously) left a more indellible impression in the judges mind.

I called the striking damage a wash, with Kendall hurting Ed a couple of times standing, and Ed getting some decent backmount G&P. I gave Kendall the edge for his RNC attempts, which I felt were much closer to Herman's attempted armbar.

Ed was looking for submissions....but he never really got one cinched in and didn't take full advantage of the opportunities he got. It was probably an even round until Kendall got the RNC at the end which put him over the top.

Guest JustPassinBy
The problem with Matt is he doesn't seem to take into account situations that would put him on defense. Remember on the show, he got rocked in practice and it sent him to the hospital. He seems like he is going to be cocky until he is truly tested in the ring by a striker. Sure, because of his superior wrestling ability, it will get him a lot of wins, but when he comes across the wrong opponent, the loss could be devastating as he doesn't seem to be very prepared for having to change a gameplan or take a punch.

I thought Matt was adaptable. When he faced Mike Nickels, before the fight they showed him talking to Soliz about not wanting to get to the ground bc Matt knew his arm couldnt take it and he'd get tired. I think that showed his adaptability.

Does anyone know when Matt-Forbes will be on TV yet? Or any of the other undercard fights from saturday?

I thought Matt was adaptable. When he faced Mike Nickels, before the fight they showed him talking to Soliz about not wanting to get to the ground bc Matt knew his arm couldnt take it and he'd get tired. I think that showed his adaptability.

Does anyone know when Matt-Forbes will be on TV yet? Or any of the other undercard fights from saturday?

They showed Hamill vs Forbes on the finale after the main event.

--The UFC special on Saturday night did a 2.0 rating, but also set the company's all-time viewership record with an average of 2.8 million viewers over the three hours. The Kendall Grove vs. Ed Herman match also squeaked ahead of the Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar match from last year as the most-watched live UFC match in history.

Is a 2.0 all that good in the grand scheme of things? I'm not hugely familiar with how ratings work but you'd think with how this season went that UFC would be expecting bigger then a 2.0.

Then again it was Saturday night so for that many people to stay in on TV's worst night probably says something.

It ties the series high, along with the Season 3 premiere & Leben vs. Koscheck.

I think the other two finales have done 1.9 & 1.7/8

Guest DRH 502

I am new to the board and late to this thread but I still get excited when I think about the beating Silva gave Leben. God damn. I guess this paves way for and Leben vs. Swick 2???