TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Star Ocean 3

Xenogears.

Who was it that really really hated Xenogears? Was it Andrew?

Xenogears was fun and I loved the story.

Xenosaga however I couldn't even get through the beginning. When I was 2 hours into the game and had not had one decent battle and the stories and cut scenes took up about 90% of my playing time I decided I didn't want to play it.

I remember it being fairly good though i never finished it.

The reports of massive amounts of non-gameplay cutscenes have scared me off of Xenosaga. I think FFX had just the right amount of gameplay vs story for an RPG, any more is pushing it a bit.

Xenogears disc 1 isn't that great. You have your angsty tard hero, your angsty tard female love interest, some 6 year old who can somehow do kung-fu and control a giant mech. The story, if made into a movie or tv show, would be considered hilariously bad.

The game didn't change that much in Disc 2, they just took out the dungeon crawling. It's not like the story magically changed in Disc 2...if anything, you had more of it.

I played through the game at least three times and read many websites about the game and I still don't understand all of the story. When it was kept simple, the story was fun, but when they started getting into the "Contact" and all that shit, I sorta zoned out because I couldn't really get into it. I will say that the battle system is still one of my favorites and that games need more schizophrenic heroes.

The story at the beginning was complex, mysterious and incedibly intruiging.

One of the worst things about the game is the slow text speed. Look, I know you can fit a novel into a paragraph in Kanji, but I can fucking read. Adjust.

The reolutions of many of the main mysterier are pretty unsatifactory, though. Grafth's true identity is fucking ridiculous. Chu Chu is the worst character ever. And that guy with the short silver hair? (Vargus?) You know the obsessive Dilandau clone? Pretty much the most interesting character in the story? Just gives up and becomes a moot point.

And the attempts at humor were fucking PAINFUL. If Azumanga can mangle a Japanes pun and get a 'heh' out of me, Xenogears should be able to leech some humor from it's awful segments.

That said, Citan is the man.

I could have started this thread with the title "game ive been meaning to play for years".

Good RPG but, due to its complex story, I wouldn't recommend it to casual players.

Too much random battles for my tastes though...

The fighting is also dull as dirt. Besides healing, there's never any reason to use magic. Just keep doing the next available deathblow over and over until you learn it. Bos battles? Use your best learned deathblow. That's it. There's no character customization, no strategy.

Besides the SaGa series (terrible) it might just have the worst battles of any square RPG. This is only made more apparent by the sheer length of the game.

You can't even level up as the gears.

One of the worst things about the game is the slow text speed. Look, I know you can fit a novel into a paragraph in Kanji, but I can fucking read. Adjust.

QFT. Dragon Warrior 1 let you choose the text scroll speed for fuck's sake. Not having options that were standard for 15 years is fucking horrible.

Worst game ever.

I never even got the chance to experience whether the game might suck or not, because for my PS1 memory card corrupted the save file after I had done a decent amount of playing, and I was so disheartened I never touched the game again

This game works if you're an angsty teenager enjoying Eva at the time, and doesn't if you're not.

That's that.

All the above criticisms are true. It had some nice music though. And, giant robots ARE fun...

This game works if you're an angsty teenager enjoying Eva at the time, and doesn't if you're not.

That's that.

All the above criticisms are true. It had some nice music though. And, giant robots ARE fun...

I'm not anywhere close to fitting that description and I liked the game.