TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

All Star Selections Thread

Biggio should've at least made it as a reserve, I think. I mean, Ozzie loaded up his team with Sox. Phil could've at least thrown Bidge a bone. It's true that not many Astros starters have had All-Star caliber first halfs (exceptions being Mike Lamb and Chris Burke, who have slid into the regular lineup and are playing All-Star caliber ball), but come on, Phil, it's Craig Biggio. The guy's got a freakin' statue outside Minute Maid Park. Maybe after the 'Stros take home the WS title this year (...shutup), Phil will put him on next year's team, since it will probably be his last season. Being an Astros fan, I kinda wish Phil would've been more homerish with his picks, but I think he put together a fair, well-balanced team, selecting the most deserving players in the NL. I'm hoping Nomar wins the last-chance vote, and if Pedro's unavailable, I bet Capuano gets in...even though I don't think it would be a big stink if Oswalt got slotted in to replace him.

I'm troubled more by the exclusion of Francisco Liriano than by the exclusion of Curt Schilling.

Mark Redman may have surpassed Ken Schrom as the worst All-Star in recent memory.

They should have gone with Emil Brown.

Nomar and Liriano deserve the final spots. Wagner doesn't, and I don't think Mets fans will try to get him in there since he'd probably throw 35 pitches if it isn't a save situation and since he's not "the" closer on the team, that's what we'd get.

Guest Montresor

Ugh—Steve Phillips. They might as well have wheeled Peter Gammons into the studio for this selection show.

Ozzie says that if anybody gets hurt, Joe Crede is going.

He's not even trying anymore.

Yeah, that asshole. We need more Red Sox and Yankees in this game.

Ozzie says that if anybody gets hurt, Joe Crede is going.

He's not even trying anymore.

Yeah, that asshole. We need more Red Sox and Yankees in this game.

Joe Crede deserves to be there more then Liriano, Verlander or Hafner?

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Looking at the final fan voting totals, Mauer sure made quite a run on catcher in the last week or so, losing out to Pudge by less than 17,000 votes.

AJ over hafner, verlander, and liriano? come on. with crede getting the spot ahead of them if manny in fact does not play? ozzie has totally ignored the tigers. completely. so the top team in the al central gets 2 guys, and the second place team gets 7? what a loser.

So basically it's the White Sox versus the Mets for the right to host the World Series this year?

It could be a good motivating factor for the Tigers.

hopefully.

even worse, magglio plays the position of said injured player and has better numbers than crede, yet gets hosed.

ok ill stop now.

Guest Smues
AJ over hafner, verlander, and liriano? come on. with crede getting the spot ahead of them if manny in fact does not play? ozzie has totally ignored the tigers. completely. so the top team in the al central gets 2 guys, and the second place team gets 7? what a loser.

Not totally, he's said he wants to start Kenny Rogers!

I just don't get how AJ gets voted over those guy. I just don't get it.

Travis Hafner not making it, especially with AJ making it, is ludicrous. The guy is in the top 5 in HR, third in RBI, and leading the league in walks, OBP, and slugging, and he doesn't get the nod?

You'd think Ozzie Guillen was trying to make sure his own guys got the nod over more deserving players or something. Well, it wouldn't be the first time. Remember in the early 90s when Cito Gaston took seven Blue Jays to the All-Star Game when they were having a good but unspectacular year?

Joe Crede leads all AL 3B in win shares. I would say he deserves to go.

Crede has 9. Hafner has 26.

Doesn't that kinda make win shares seem extremely overrated considering where their respective teams are right now?

AJ Fuckin' Pierzynski?! Are you kidding me? Has there even been a year when the league's best hitter (Hafner) and arguably the best pitcher (Liriano) didn't make the All-Star game?

Guest Smues

I already thought the NL roster was about right, and voting in Nomar was, I thought, the right move. Meanwhile the A.L was already crazy and now they vote in A.J.

Maybe the fans thinking was "Sure Ozzie is a dick, but he hates Mariotti, I hate Mariotti, so I'll vote for his guy!"

Well, if the fans vote for him, with the way that the system is set up, he deserves it. That's all I'll say.

Joe Torre's never been this bad, has he? I'll always remember Torre for picking five shortstops (Jeter, A-Rod, Tejada, Vizquel, and Garciaparra) because they all deserved a spot. That was cool.

Guest Smues
Well, if the fans vote for him, with the way that the system is set up, he deserves it. That's all I'll say.

The fans can choose whoever they want, I just don't understand their choice here. And in any other sports all-star game I'm all for the fans picking the players even if some of their choices don't really deserve it because the game is an exhibition for the fans. But MLB decided to do that "THIS ONE COUNTS" bullshit making the game more meaningful. I really, really, really hate that the all-star game decides homefield in the World Series.

Joe Crede leads all AL 3B in win shares. I would say he deserves to go.

Crede has 9. Hafner has 26.

Doesn't that kinda make win shares seem extremely overrated considering where their respective teams are right now?

1. I don't know where the heck that information comes from. Through July 2, Hafner has 15 win shares and Crede has 12. Hafner is second among AL DH's behind Jim Thome, and Joe Crede has fallen behind Alex Rodriguez in the latest update. Crede did lead a week ago.

2. Understand that the premise of win shares is that they are a percentage of team wins. A win share is one-third of a win. If you were to add the win shares of all the Indians together, you would get about 117 win shares. You would get 165 for the White Sox. The idea is that you CAN fairly compare players between good and bad teams.

The fans can choose whoever they want, I just don't understand their choice here. And in any other sports all-star game I'm all for the fans picking the players even if some of their choices don't really deserve it because the game is an exhibition for the fans. But MLB decided to do that "THIS ONE COUNTS" bullshit making the game more meaningful. I really, really, really hate that the all-star game decides homefield in the World Series.

I agree on all counts.