TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mole

Box Office Report 7/7-7/9...

1 N Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest BV $132,028,000 - 4,133 - $31,944 $132,028,000 $225 1

2 1 Superman Returns WB $21,850,000 -58.4% 4,065 - $5,375 $141,677,000 $260 2

3 2 The Devil Wears Prada Fox $15,600,000 -43.3% 2,882 +35 $5,412 $63,696,000 $35 2

4 3 Click SonR $12,000,000 -39.8% 3,458 -306 $3,470 $105,921,000 $82.50 3

5 4 Cars BV $10,330,000 -29.1% 3,379 -327 $3,057 $205,504,000 $120 5

6 5 Nacho Libre Par. $3,339,000 -49.4% 2,262 -820 $1,476 $73,813,000 $35 4

7 6 The Lake House WB $2,845,000 -40.9% 2,420 -225 $1,175 $45,621,000 - 4

8 7 The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift Uni. $2,484,000 -44.6% 1,868 -802 $1,329 $57,369,000 - 4

9 8 Waist Deep Rog. $1,861,000 -45.8% 864 -142 $2,153 $19,167,000 - 3

10 9 The Break-Up Uni. $1,646,000 -45.0% 1,180 -731 $1,394 $114,304,000 $52 6

11 10 The Da Vinci Code Sony $1,400,000 -42.3% 1,012 -372 $1,383 $213,289,000 $125 8

12 13 An Inconvenient Truth ParC $1,161,000 -31.3% 562 -25 $2,065 $15,039,000 - 7

13 12 Garfield: A Tail of Two Kitties Fox $900,000 -58.4% 1,288 -862 $698 $24,627,000 - 4

I didn't see this coming at all. I really thought Superman was going to take this crown, but not Pirates. I guess I under estimated the franchise.

Guest NYankees

That is a TON OF MONEY for POTC. To think that if next weekend's numbers are down are down 50 percent that is still 67 million for the weekend. What did Pirates beat the record by? 16 million?

I didn't see this coming at all. I really thought Superman was going to take this crown, but not Pirates. I guess I under estimated the franchise.

No movie opening on a Wednesday would ever break the record.

I think Shrek 3 will break it next year

No movie opening on a Wednesday would ever break the record.

I think Shrek 3 will break it next year

This is before I knew it was being released on a Wednesday.

Pirates 3 might break it.

Here's a possibility......POTC was a better, and certainly more fun and entertaining, film than Superman was.

I liked Superman, but it's not the film that it could have been. And honestly, after seeing POTC, if you were to ask me which of the two films I'd gladly go and see again, it's POTC. Superman is a film I can wait to see again when it comes out on DVD.

POTC had a better taste for the fans, Superman was yanked around forever and casual movie goers just didn't find Superman all that interesting because of that and it just plain looked boring and the reviews have cemented those sentiments.

Who would have thought 12 years ago that Johnny Depp would be the star of the highest grossing opening film ever?

Superman has now grossed less on its second weekend than what Batman Begins did on its second weekend, so now it's looking like SR might barely break $200 million in the end. Keep in mind I'm saying weekend, not overall gross.

POTC 2 is no surprise, it has been the most anticipated movie of the year by far. What is surprising is the margin by which it beat the previous record-holder (Spider-Man), but some of you guys are right: At this rate POTC 3 might just beat it again, not to mention Shrek 3.

Is Spider-Man 3 opening on a weekend?

Guest NYankees
Who would have thought 12 years ago that Johnny Depp would be the star of the highest grossing opening film ever?

Who would have thought that 20 years ago that Johnny Depp would become a huge Hollywood star when he first started on a little tv show called 21 Jump Street on the new Fox Network.

Who would have thought that 20 years ago when Johnny Depp would become a huge Hollywood star when he first started on a little tv show called 21 Jump Street on the new Fox Network.

I guess we can expect Benjamin McKenzie to be in the #1 highest grossing opening film in 2026?

Guest NYankees
Is Titanic the highest grossing film of all time or something?

Because someone needs to do something about that.

As much as I would love to see that happen, I know that it isn't going to happen. Titanic was released in December of 1997 and for the next 4 months it had zero competition. Titanic was the number one movie each week/weekend for like 4 months and constantly did over 10 million in boxoffice each weekend. A film today is going to have some serious legs to keep going that strong.

As much as I would love to see that happen, I know that it isn't going to happen. Titanic was released in December of 1997 and for the next 4 months it had zero competition. Titanic was the number one movie each week/weekend for like 4 months and constantly did over 10 million in boxoffice each weekend. A film today is going to have some serious legs to keep going that strong.

Titanic, was the perfect movie to pull that off. It was the right time, had the oscar buzz, it connected with young girls in a huge way drawing repeat viewers and it was a good date movie as well. It'd be almost impossible to pull it off today.

Guest NYankees

Titanic, was the perfect movie to pull that off. It was the right time, had the oscar buzz, it connected with young girls in a huge way drawing repeat viewers and it was a good date movie as well. It'd be almost impossible to pull it off today.

I wonder how well Titanic would have done if it came out during the summer of 1997 like it was supposed to.

Titanic, was the perfect movie to pull that off. It was the right time, had the oscar buzz, it connected with young girls in a huge way drawing repeat viewers and it was a good date movie as well. It'd be almost impossible to pull it off today

I wonder how well Titanic would have done if it came out during the summer of 1997 like it was supposed to.

Here were the big BO hits of 1997 Summer season

Jurassic Park: The Lost World, Men in Black, Batman and Robin and Con-Air. I think it was a very wise move they did with Titanic. Titanic never felt like a summer blockbuster type movie for me, it sounds odd but it felt right watching Titanic in the winter.

Pirates made 100 mil in two days, which is a record.

The previous biggest opening weekends (Saw this at BOM)

Spider-Man

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

The Lost World

Batman Forever

Jurassic Park

Batman Returns

Batman

Ghostbusters II

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Beverly Hills Cop II

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Return of the Jedi

Star Trek II

Superman

Star Wars (re-issue)

Jaws 2

The Deep

Jaws

Pirates did fall 19% from Fri to Saturday which isn't the best sign of its long term prospects

Not surprised at all about Pirates2 taking the record. I am very surprised at how much it broke the record by (assuming the 132 million number holds up). I mean, that's mind blowing. I expected 'Aquaman' level of record breaking here, not slaughtering the previous holder.

It's got pretty hideous reviews though so don't expect anywhere near Titanic.

I'm seeing it tonight so hopefully the reviews are just cases of the reviewers being dicks and hating on big summer action blockbusters.

I tend to think stuff like Spider-Man 3, Shrek 3, and POTC 3 won't break this record. By the time a series usually gets to a 3rd movie the box office slides, aside from the LOTR and Star Wars trilogies. Those both had a certain finality though, whereas stuff like Spidey and Shrek is just "let's make another."

Pirates has the best shot since it had a cliffhanger ending that will get people to come back for the 3rd.

Guest NYankees
I tend to think stuff like Spider-Man 3, Shrek 3, and POTC 3 won't break this record. By the time a series usually gets to a 3rd movie the box office slides, aside from the LOTR and Star Wars trilogies. Those both had a certain finality though, whereas stuff like Spidey and Shrek is just "let's make another."

Pirates has the best shot since it had a cliffhanger ending that will get people to come back for the 3rd.

Plus it is only a year in between sequels. Spiderman and Shrek is one movie every 3-4 years.

I think Pirates may have a shot at Titanic actually, this film has broad appeal acorss gender, age and race, and we already know no one listens to the critics, though several I think missed the mark with this one.

I mean, seriously EW, D+?!?, what is that about.

Get well soon Roger, I eagerly await to see it POTC DMC is better than Tokyo Drift

People always think a movie has a shot at Titanic due to a huge opening but they always fall. POTC won't have the advantages that Titanic had going for it

A). Broad appeal

B). Established repeat viewer demographic(teen girls, they are MONEY).

C). Oscar buzz during award season

D). Soft competition

E). Built in historical background (think about how many people read about the actual Titanic sinking and went back to see the movie having a better understanding of the real story)

I think Pirates may have a shot at Titanic actually, this film has broad appeal acorss gender, age and race, and we already know no one listens to the critics, though several I think missed the mark with this one.

I mean, seriously EW, D+?!?, what is that about.

Get well soon Roger, I eagerly await to see it POTC DMC is better than Tokyo Drift

No chance. The fact that it fell from Friday-Saturday means it's not going to happen. Remembe, Titanic didn't have a big opening, it stayed at the top b/c of weak competition, word of mouth and repeat business.

That will not happen to Pirates.

It may be too late at this point, but if you count worldwide grosses, DaVinci Code had the best shot at beating Titanic. It's made a bit over 200 mill here in the States, but worldwide it's been raking in the cash. However, at this point I think it's probably cooled down enough so that it won't break the record.

It's only a matter of time before Titanic is overcome, though.

It may be too late at this point, but if you count worldwide grosses, DaVinci Code had the best shot at beating Titanic. It's made a bit over 200 mill here in the States, but worldwide it's been raking in the cash.

Not even close,

Da Vinci Code worldwide = $720,968,208

Titanic worldwide = $1,845,034,000

POTC had a better taste for the fans, Superman was yanked around forever and casual movie goers just didn't find Superman all that interesting because of that and it just plain looked boring and the reviews have cemented those sentiments.

I doubt that since the movie has made $141 million in 10 days, and has had mostly favorable reviews. The fact that its less popular than "Pirates of the Caribean" doesn't mean that casual movie goers didn't want to see "Superman Returns," it just means that more casual movie goers wanted to see "Pirates of the Caribean". I'm sure a lot of people saw both movies.

I saw Pirates and liked it pretty well but I can't see it doing such massive repeat business that it'd get to 1.8 billion worldwide like Titanic. Let's face it, ROTK had insane hype, Oscar frenzy, and was the finale to a trilogy and it still did about 1.1 billion worldwide. I doubt any of the Pirates movies will get past 1 billion. They'll probably hover somewhere in that 800-900 million. I think Jerry Bruckheimer will sleep well at night with that kind of cash.