TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iliketurtles

Spirit Squad has a new cheer

Eugene was quite over though, for a while, until Triple H totally squashed him.

When he was in control in that match, the crowd was chanting "Eugene sucks." His jobbing was responded to with a big round of applause.

Again, the business is too smart now for people to show sympathy heat for a guy just pretending to be mentally handicapped.

Oh no, does this mean that we wont see any more versions of DX vs SS? Does it mean that we wont have male cheerleaders all over RAW and in the main event? Im so sad....

They shouldnt have put these guys in a gimmick like this in the first place. Im glad they are done with that stupid shit.

Guest Princess Leena
Yay! Lets take a recognisable gimmick, throw it away and turn the poor saps into nondescript nobodies! I smell Gunner Scott. I smell The Bashams! I smell Deacon Batista!

Mitch becomes a heel, who you should hate because he wears sunglasses~! Johnny can be another Chris Benoit wannabee protege! Nicky and Mikey can form WACKY~! new tag teams with any combination of the following: Snitsky, Val, Striker, Conway. And of course, there's Kenny, the cookie cutter nice guy face who wants the Intercontinental Championship out of the blue and ends up paired off with Carlito, Shelton and Nitro in various, what are we doing again this week? matches for the next 4 months.

Assuming this is true (and they don't end up in a 3 way tag team ladder match, with Bret as the ref), I hope everybody who's been whining about the gimmick from day one enjoys the alternative.

But, they're nondescript nobodies now. The quintessential form of that. Ask your common wrestling fan who any of the singular members are, and they won't know.

I wouldn't end the gimmick either, though. It can work outside of constant main events, and lame 5 on 1-2 situations that doesn't help anyone.

I'd have Doane turn on the group. Since he's the only one with a realistic chance of getting a singles' push. Then, have the other 4 wrestle in the tag "division".

Guest Hemme

Shame, I liked them.

Fair enough due to the booking, they were made to look like gloryfied jobbers, but they had a place, they were annoying as hell, which was fun to see.

Guest JumpinJackFlash

You know...come to think of it....they were more like an athletic talented version of the Mean Street Posse!

:D

Eugene is easy to fix. They can copy "The Ringer" (Vince loves to use others' ideas) and have Eugene pretending this entire time just to make it as a wrestler and get notoriety and money. The cameras could catch him acting normal backstage for just a couple of seconds every so often. Have him revert to his true persona around a hot girl or something. Finally, he goes full heel when he is found out, and cuts a promo on how he fooled the simple minded fans, all of the sap "good guy" wrestlers that defended him.

All of a sudden, you could have a slimy low-life character that has pissed off main event faces, low card faces, the women in WWE, and the marks. If you think of how despicable a person would have to be to fake being retarded for his entire life just to get sympathy...that's pretty bad. I would say it would take someone pretty intelligent, as well. Hell, have the WWE give him a storyline huge contract because he sells a lot of merchandise or is a fan favorite, and then do the turn right after that. The character would finally be able to let down his guard because he got the big payoff he wanted.

Guest Human Highlight Reel

To fix Eugene, all they have to do is for him to get a haircut, and come back as Nick Dinsmore. He looks very different to his current appearance.

Yeah, but which character would be better starting off? My idea, where you can trace back all the people that cared for him and helped him, giving potential Hassan-like backlash from most of the roster? Or yours, where we introduce his brother/cousin Nick, who happens to not be retarded?

Yeah, but which character would be better starting off? My idea, where you can trace back all the people that cared for him and helped him, giving potential Hassan-like backlash from most of the roster? Or yours, where we introduce his brother/cousin Nick, who happens to not be retarded?

Almost everyone with a brain on here has pitched that idea.

I can't see any of them turning face, which means they'll have to be seperated by being moved to seperate brands (or back to OVW).

I'd like to see Doane on Smackdown, Jeter on ECW and Nemeth/Mondo staying on RAW as a tag team under tweaked gimmicks.

Did Meltzer say the group were being completely axed or that 1 or 2 were leaving?

Almost everyone with a brain on here has pitched that idea.

Well, I meant "the idea that I just posted." I am aware of the fact that we have discussed it before (me included), but I added more to it. I was just saying it is better than dropping a character and introducing a new character played by the same wrestler.

<_<)-->

QUOTE(<_< @ Jul 19 2006, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't see any of them turning face, which means they'll have to be seperated by being moved to seperate brands (or back to OVW).

I'd like to see Doane on Smackdown, Jeter on ECW and Nemeth/Mondo staying on RAW as a tag team under tweaked gimmicks.

Did Meltzer say the group were being completely axed or that 1 or 2 were leaving?

Face turn would be easy... just have Doane or Jeter join DX as freshmeat. Saying that he was a spy the whole time or something to that effect.

Eugene is easy to fix. They can copy "The Ringer" (Vince loves to use others' ideas) and have Eugene pretending this entire time just to make it as a wrestler and get notoriety and money. The cameras could catch him acting normal backstage for just a couple of seconds every so often. Have him revert to his true persona around a hot girl or something. Finally, he goes full heel when he is found out, and cuts a promo on how he fooled the simple minded fans, all of the sap "good guy" wrestlers that defended him.

All of a sudden, you could have a slimy low-life character that has pissed off main event faces, low card faces, the women in WWE, and the marks. If you think of how despicable a person would have to be to fake being retarded for his entire life just to get sympathy...that's pretty bad. I would say it would take someone pretty intelligent, as well. Hell, have the WWE give him a storyline huge contract because he sells a lot of merchandise or is a fan favorite, and then do the turn right after that. The character would finally be able to let down his guard because he got the big payoff he wanted.

But before that, he should try to pretend still when he gets caught, and when someone calls him on it, all he will do is make an innocent face and sing "Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot, Chicken Pot PIE!"

Face turn would be easy... just have Doane or Jeter join DX as freshmeat. Saying that he was a spy the whole time or something to that effect.

No, you get me wrong. The face turn would be easy as fuck. It's the fact that I can't see any of them playing faces. Mondo, Nemeth and Jeter can, but they're way better as heels. And I just can't imagine Doane as a face. The boy was born to heel.

The SS members are dead right now. The only way to salvage them is take them off television for a few months, let memories fade, and then bring them back with totally new gimmicks.

I disagree.

Someone like Jeter can easily be transferred from cocky Jeter to just cocky heel, and not hve the stigma of SS. I think a couple will be taken off TV though.

After being humiliated and treated like complete jokes for almost two months straight, what can you do with the members of the Squad apart from take them off TV and wait for the stench to fade?

Have Doane and Jeter blame it on the other three and move away from the group. Perhaps they could get the same manager but have solo careers. The other 3 could defend the tag titles for a handful of wins, then drop them. Mitch can be gone forever, Mike Mondo and Nemeth could re-debut after tweaking their characters. Mondo goes to the Cruiser division, and Nemeth is a career tag guy.

Whatever gets done with the members of SS, it can't happen anytime soon for it to work. They got beaten up so often and so badly that the fans will never accept them as anything other than jokes without major rehab.

The SS members are dead right now. The only way to salvage them is take them off television for a few months, let memories fade, and then bring them back with totally new gimmicks.

On the bright side, I couldn't recognize them if they were walking down the street wearing Spirit Squad T-Shirts so it should be easier for them than for somebody like Dinsmore.

I disagree. Look at Big Show going from jobber to beating Lesnar for the title in a couple of months.

Someone like Doane can easily be transitioned. Blame the others for the fact they didn't win, then give him a US/IC push. Even with the rest, it'd only take a few wins for them to be ressurected.

SS are jokes, but the individual wrestlers aren't. As has been said, they're interchangeable enough to get away with it.

<_<)-->

QUOTE(<_< @ Jul 19 2006, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. Look at Big Show going from jobber to beating Lesnar for the title in a couple of months.

Someone like Doane can easily be transitioned. Blame the others for the fact they didn't win, then give him a US/IC push. Even with the rest, it'd only take a few wins for them to be ressurected.

SS are jokes, but the individual wrestlers aren't. As has been said, they're interchangeable enough to get away with it.

He got the push, but he wasn't over like he could have been had he been treated better.

I don't disagree that something can be done with them. Just that they'll need to be taken off TV for a while for it to work. They were beaten up and treated like jokes as all five of them couldn't beat up two people. That leaves an impression on people, no matter how generic they looked.

The positive thing about all this is that the only person that definitely stood out from the group was Kenny. Casual fans always have to ask who which person is for the rest of the guys, so those other four won't have a problem.

Why must Triple H always do this? Seriously, Eugene and The Squad, that's six guys who could have meant something until they were squashed.

We all bitched and moaned about how he squashed people when he was a heel.

We forget that this is NOTHING compared to how he squashes people as a face.

Funny, but true :D

SS is dead anyways. I mean this squashing by DX makes them look horrible. They can't beat two guys. In real life I would fire these guys not getting the "job" done :D

What is also funny is that fans are buying DX destroying these guys. I mean you could actually buy DX beating these rookie lemmings.

<_<)-->

QUOTE(<_< @ Jul 19 2006, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Big Show is 7 foot tall and a monster. Hardy's win came off like a fluke just as it did when he beat the other monster HHH for the IC title. It's not the same thing. You are right they are interchangeable enough to get away with pushing one of the guys by blaming the others for the failure of the group.

Yay! Lets take a recognisable gimmick, throw it away and turn the poor saps into nondescript nobodies! I smell Gunner Scott. I smell The Bashams! I smell Deacon Batista!

Mitch becomes a heel, who you should hate because he wears sunglasses~! Johnny can be another Chris Benoit wannabee protege! Nicky and Mikey can form WACKY~! new tag teams with any combination of the following: Snitsky, Val, Striker, Conway. And of course, there's Kenny, the cookie cutter nice guy face who wants the Intercontinental Championship out of the blue and ends up paired off with Carlito, Shelton and Nitro in various, what are we doing again this week? matches for the next 4 months.

Assuming this is true (and they don't end up in a 3 way tag team ladder match, with Bret as the ref), I hope everybody who's been whining about the gimmick from day one enjoys the alternative.

But, they're nondescript nobodies now. The quintessential form of that. Ask your common wrestling fan who any of the singular members are, and they won't know.

But they do know who the Spirit Squad as a group are. And that's what they're booked as, a group, rather than singular workers.

I wouldn't end the gimmick either, though. It can work outside of constant main events, and lame 5 on 1-2 situations that doesn't help anyone.

I'd have Doane turn on the group. Since he's the only one with a realistic chance of getting a singles' push. Then, have the other 4 wrestle in the tag "division".

I don't mind the idea of Doane leaving, but if they're splitting the group then it's a dumb move.

I realise everyone here is thinking 'Oh, the gimmick is a joke, they're never going to be taken seriously'...well no shit, that's the point. Leena's right, they shouldn't ditch the gimmick altogether. Maybe it's because I'm from the era of dumb gimmicks and I've got a soft spot for filling the midcard with some goofier, fun gimmicks (anything from Repo Man to Godfather) who actually have discernable features, rather than have everyone fit into two cookie cutter shapes-

- Nice guy face

- Cheating heel

-or even worse, 5 generic OVW guys, which is all I can see them getting. Let's face it, nobody is going to give a shit about Johnny Jeter just because he says 'screw the Spirit Squad, I'm a serious wrestler damnit!' for the same reason nobody gives a shit about Gregory Helms. Because they have no character. And this isn't the X-Division...talent doesn't override reactions.

Plus, all 5 are getting TV time with this gimmick. Out of the gimmick, they'll be lucky to get 2 segments between them.

Anyone who can't see that and is just desperate to get rid of the 'ghey gimmick' needs to realise that the alternative is just boredom. I'd take a goofy, bordering on dumb gimmick over generic boredom any time.