TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

History of the WWE Championship 3-DVD Set

Here a match listing and details for the forthcoming WWE History of the WWE championship three-DVD set, which will be released on 9/5.

Production material for the set reads, "For more than forty years, the WWE Championship has been one of the most prestigious titles in sports entertainment, This three-disc set contains some of the greatest matches in the history of the WWE Championship from the ‘70s through today. Fans have been given the opportunity to participate in the creation of the DVD, as they voted on wwe.com for their favorite matches from each era. The DVD set will include a comprehensive timeline with multimedia highlights from every title change. Hosted by legendary announcer Jim Ross, matches on the three discs will feature all the great champions in WWE history, including Bruno Sammartino, Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Eddie Guerrero, John Cena, and more!"

Complete matches set for the collection are as follows:

Disc One:

WWWF Championship Match

Ivan Koloff vs. Pedro Morales

Madison Square Garden - 2/8/71

WWWF Championship Match

Bruno Sammartino vs. Killer Kowalski

Madison Square Garden - 4/29/74

WWWF Championship Match

Bruno Sammartino vs. "Superstar" Billy Graham

Baltimore, Md — 4/30/77

WWWF Championship Match

"Superstar" Billy Graham vs. Bob Backlund

Madison Square Garden - 2/20/78

WWE Championship Match

Bob Backlund vs. Greg "The Hammer" Valentine

Philadelphia, PA - 1/16/82

WWE Championship Match

Bob Backlund vs. Sgt. Slaughter

Madison Square Garden - 5/23/83

WWE Championship Match

The Iron Sheik vs. Hulk Hogan

Madison Square Garden -1/23/84

Steel Cage Match For The WWE Championship

Hulk Hogan vs. King Kong Bundy

Wrestlemania 2 - 4/5/86

Hulk Hogan vs. "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff

Saturday Night's Main Event - 1/3/87

WWE Championship Match

Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant

Wrestlemania III -3/29/87

WWE Championship Match

Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant

The Main Event - 2/5/88

WWE Championship Match

"Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. Hulk Hogan

Wrestlemania V - 4/2/89

Disc 2

WWE Championship Match

Hulk Hogan vs. The Ultimate Warrior

Wrestlemania VI - 4/1/90

Bret "Hitman" Hart vs. Owen Hart

Summerslam - 8/29/94

Iron Man Match For The WWE Championship

Bret "Hitman" Hart vs. Shawn Michaels

Wrestlemania XII - 3/31/98

WWE Championship Match

Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind

In Your House: Mind Games - 9/22/96

WWE Championship Match

Shawn Michaels vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

Wrestlemania XIV - 3/29/98

Disc 3

Street Fight For The WWE Championship

Triple H vs. Cactus Jack

Royal Rumble - 1/23/00

Triple Threat Match For The WWE Championship

The Rock vs. Triple H vs. Kurt Angle

Summerslam - 8/27/00

WWE Championship Match

The Rock vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

Wrestlemania X-7 - 4/1/01

Undisputed WWE Championship Match

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Chris Jericho

Vengeance- 12/9/01

Triple Threat Match For The Undisputed WWE Championship

The Rock vs. Undertaker vs. Kurt Angle

Vengeance - 7/21/02

Undisputed WWE Championship Match

The Rock vs. Brock Lesnar

Summerslam - 8/25/02

WWE Championship Match

Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit

Royal Rumble - 1/19/03

Triple Threat Match For The WWE Championship

John Cena vs. Chris Jericho vs. Christian

Vengeance - 6/26/05

Only one Austin match and the ironman man again...

Maybe there aren't that many Attitude era matches because of the logo.

EDIT: Ok three. They could have had the Undertaker vs. Stone Cold at Summerslam. That was a good match.

The problem is that while most of these matches are available already, how can you leave them off.

HHH/Cactus,Angle/Benoit, and Austin/Rock are all on the short list for wwf/e matches of the decade.

Hogan/Andre,Hogan/Warrior, Austin/Michaels are some of the most historic matches in wwf history.

Having said that,a few matches I would have liked to have seen are:

Backlund vs Adonis 1/20/82

This is one of the best wwf matches of the 80s imo. Adonis was very underrated.

Hogan vs Race SNME

I've never seen it and I've heard its one of hogans better matches.

Flair vs Bret 10/92 or 1/93

Having the ironman handheld match is wishful thinking but not having Bret's first title win on here is questionable

Rock vs HHH ironman

Why do they totally ignore this one ?ditto HHH/Foley HIAC.

Cena being lumped in with the greats really bugs me.

I know some look down on WM4, but I'd like the tournament for the title to be featured.

Should have had Austin vs. Dude Love, for one.

Definitely agree. Their match from Over the Edge 1998 should be included because it was innovative for its time since the whole "evil McMahon character" was in its infancy. It's definitely one of my favorite matches of all time and bought the tape of the event simply to have the match in my collection. The finish where the Undertaker chokeslams Brisco and Patterson through the announce tables when they try to count the pinfall for Foley and Austin using McMahon's unconscious hand to count the three was an excellent finish. Also, the crowd heat was amazing.

Looks like a decent DVD set and I might pick it up but I don't think they really needed that Cena triple threat match on there. However, we all know the WWE is high on Cena so one of his matches was going to be on here whether we wanted it to be or not.

Disc 1 is the most interesting for me, as I already saw/own all the matches on discs 2 & 3 except for Austin/Jericho.

If I ever buy this, I'll pick it used.

Why in the hell is Cena included with icons like Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, The Rock, and the rest of the greats??

They want to represent all eras and that would include John Cena, whom they want to be presented as Hogan/Rock level star. The problem was, they didn't have much to choose from and selecting Cena/Christian/Jericho is really awkward.

Cena/JBL from JD05 would have served better in putting Cena over.

Why in the hell is Cena included with icons like Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, The Rock, and the rest of the greats??

They want to represent all eras and that would include John Cena, whom they want to be presented as Hogan/Rock level star. The problem was, they didn't have much to choose from and selecting Cena/Christian/Jericho is really awkward.

Cena/HHH from Wrestlemania would have been the best choice if they wanted Cena to look like a Hogan/Rock level star as the match had Hogan/Rock'a Jabroni heat. Not to mention that Cena went over CLEAN.

Cena/HHH from Wrestlemania would have been the best choice if they wanted Cena to look like a Hogan/Rock level star as the match had Hogan/Rock'a Jabroni heat. Not to mention that Cena went over CLEAN.

No.

No it did not.

No.

No it did not.

I think Cena's heat topped the Rocks. The Rock's heat was due to the crowd being so PRO-Hogan. Cena's heat was because the crowd was very Anti-Cena.

John Cena vs. Triple H didn't have anywhere near the heat that The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan had.

Anybody who thinks it came close is insane and should be put to sleep. You know who you are.

Why does the WWE have to be so cheap to get rid of Jesse's commentary? I mean its the man's "intellectual property" so pay him his money nevermind the fact that his interactions with Monsoon, McMahon, and Schiavone have been some of the funniest stuff in WWE/WCW history. It's like this company just does little things to piss on the fans, especially die hard fans who will probably have the highest interest in this set especially if they were fans for the disk one matches.

One other thing, why is Backlund-Sheik not on the list? I've never seen it and can't attest to its quality but I figured they'd use it as a way to transition into the Hogan title win.

Guest ken adams

Randy Savage was a 2 time Champ back in the day when Hogan hardly ever lost & all he gets is 1 match?!!!! Sure am glad Cena is on there (note heavy SARCASM).

Is there a documentary section to the DVD or is it just a bunch of matches. As if there is a documentary, they might go over all the other title changes that have happened and other important matches for the title

Is there a documentary section to the DVD or is it just a bunch of matches. As if there is a documentary, they might go over all the other title changes that have happened and other important matches for the title

Well, if you had read the paragraph before the match listing...

"The DVD set will include a comprehensive timeline with multimedia highlights from every title change."

I'm going to buy it. I'm hoping they do a dvd set for other titles as well. A History of the IC and tag title belts could be awesome.

Well, if you had read the paragraph before the match listing...

"The DVD set will include a comprehensive timeline with multimedia highlights from every title change."

I'm really sure that answers the question, since I have no idea what a "a comprehensive timeline with multimedia highlights" is.