TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

PS3 .VS. Wii .VS. Xbox 360?

123 members have voted

1. 1. What should I get?/What are you getting?

• PlayStation 3
    • Wii
    • Xbox 360

I'll just say this. I sure was right about the DS, and I think I'm going to be right about the Wii also. It isn't going to happen right away, just as it didn't happen for the DS right away either. Hell, at launch Nintendo was still planning for a new Game Boy, but after the DS proved it's worth those plans were totally trashed. I'm going to get a Wii right away, just like I got a DS pretty soon after the release.

You still hear whispers of the new Game Boy, but there's no need. Nintendo has to be shocked at how well it did. It was supposed to be the "3rd pillar," but almost all of this year, Nintendo Powers' main attractions were all DS titles. Cover features, even!

Although when my GBA SP conks out I'll have to buy a new one, since I still have Game Boy and Game Boy Color games that won't work on my DS.

Guest Princess Leena

My friend who works at EB says there's a lot of talk about the Wii. And many people bitching about the price of PS3. While I agree that the lowest price may often hurt a product... when the main competitor is ridiculously high, then it's very good.

As for my friends and co-workers, most of which are casual gamers, most have no idea what Wii is. I figure it will be released Xmas, at the latest. Hopefully with this "big announcement" or whatever on the 14th, they start building up the hype for the Wii.

The results of this poll are actually shocking to me:

PlayStation 3 [ 18 ] [17.48%]

Wii [ 64 ] [62.14%]

Xbox 360 [ 21 ] [20.39%]

Through all that I've seen about the Wii, I only just now looked up information about the size. Holy crap is this thing tiny or what?

http://consoles.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/9864/

I'm sure everyone else in the world knows this, but there you go anyway.

And these videos are decent for anyone who doesn't already know a lot about the Wii:

http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=AdmiralPrice

I was thinking of jumping ship into the MS camp but I'm too angry about the broken systems. I am on track to go through like 10 of them by 2009. I just can't let that slide. I put up with it with PSX and PS2 because they were so good. Other than that I like MS but I'll have to continue to support Sony and just hope they get their act together. Come on Sony you can do it! Maybe they're being dumb to give everyone else a chance unlike last time. You know, to make things interesting. That is probably it. Whatever happens I can't accept Wii being a success. If Nintendo regains their title of our gaming overlords I will quit console gaming and go 100% arcade!

You could just be truthful and say you hated the way they acted in the 80s.

Oh, if you're wondering which PS3s we're getting here in the US--80% will be the $599 model, and 20% will be the core for $499 model.

Just for the sake of reference, does anybody recall what the distribution percentages were for the Xbox360 when it launched?

Maybe I'm overreacting, but my initial thought, upon seeing that they're only bringing in 20% of the "cheap" model for the US distribution, is that Sony has completely lost their mind. Not that this is news, considering how they've acted leading up to this release, but good lord.

October / November is going to be the busiest gaming month I've had in quite some time - the Wii and whatever launch game(s) I decide to bundle with it (if Trauma Center or Cooking Mama are launch games I will be in fucking heaven), Marvel Alliance for PS2, Justice League Heros for PS2, Mortal Kombat Armageddon for PS2, SvR2007 for PS2.

Though, I am considering buying an XBOX 360 in the new year as my official "second" system, so I might wait on the afformentioned PS2 titles (the ones that have 360 releases) and get them then.

Just for the sake of reference, does anybody recall what the distribution percentages were for the Xbox360 when it launched?

Maybe I'm overreacting, but my initial thought, upon seeing that they're only bringing in 20% of the "cheap" model for the US distribution, is that Sony has completely lost their mind. Not that this is news, considering how they've acted leading up to this release, but good lord.

You'd think Sony would have learned from MS about the whole "'Tard Pack" fiasco. It was worse with the 360 because people realized that you would give back that $100 you "saved" with the core package buying all the accessories that already came with the other package. I'm pretty sure they abandoned that cheaper package like 6 months after launch, so for Sony to go the exact same route and expect things to pan out any differently is lunacy.

It could be argued, though, that the PS3's core pack is just as good as the 360; the HD size is smaller, but the 360 Tard pack didn't even have a HD period. HDMI ports are in the $499 PS3 as well.

If you have an HDTV, go Xbox. If you don't, go Wii. Unless there's something you Just Gotta Have on either platform already.

PS3 is taking a tremendously successful name and dragging in the mud with the bullshit that has caused Sony to slip in so many other markets.

It could be argued, though, that the PS3's core pack is just as good as the 360; the HD size is smaller, but the 360 Tard pack didn't even have a HD period. HDMI ports are in the $499 PS3 as well.

It's missing a component cable. Thus it "doesn't have an HD Period" any more or less than most HD receiver boxes.

The real difference between HDMI and component is sound and video being carried through 5 cables or sound and video being carried through one big cable. That and HDCP, which is why Sony went with HDMI in the lesser PS3 in the first place. Yay for crappy copy protection techniques!

By "doesn't have an HD period" I mean Hard Drive. There's no hard drive in the Tard 360. So you have to buy memory cards to save on, which like start at 40 bucks IIRC.

Aren't the only differences between the basic and premium PS3s the extra 40 gigs of HD space and the flash reader? If that's true, I'd say the premium bundle and not the basic bundle is the rip-off.

Aren't the only differences between the basic and premium PS3s the extra 40 gigs of HD space and the flash reader? If that's true, I'd say the premium bundle and not the basic bundle is the rip-off.

I think there's one or two more differances. One of them is that the basic unit is not upgradable at all unless something changed.

From the official Playstation.com page (assuming they aren't lying, which is a big assumption since it is Sony's page):

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/specs.html

Core: 20 GB HD vs. Premium: 60 GB HD

Core: I/O only 4 USB 2.0 ports vs. Premium: additional Memory Stick/SD/CompactFlash slots

Core: requires physical ethernet connection to get online vs. Premium: IEEE 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi also supported.

So if the USB ports will allow you to use portable USB flash drives for moving data around (which it should, in theory), it's not that big a difference. You'll have just a smaller harddrive and you won't have the PS3 connected online wirelessly. I don't care since wireless internet is an utter pain in the ass, and my cordless phones would probably screw it up bigtime.

As for upgrading--as far as I know you can upgrade the Harddrive, but I doubt you can add the missing ports. Whether you can simply slide a wireless card into the PS3 for wi-fi or if a more complicated/risky installation is required hasn't been revealed.

So it honestly isn't so much a tard pack as the Hard-drive-less cheap 360 at first glance, but we don't know to what extent you can upgrade besides the Hard drive.

Guest Princess Leena

Why would one need a HD bigger than 20GB, though.

Other than the wireless connection ability (which is a ripoff for $100 more), I'm not seeing any positives here.

Regardless, I'm just saying that your chances of even finding a "cheaper" PS3 are remote at best. Not to mention your chances of finding a PS3 are remote.

The big deal WAS that the core PS3 didn't always have the HDMi output, which it now does, huzzah.

I maintain that the difference between $199 and $299, and the differences between $499 and $599 are not the same.

Why get the core PS3?

If you have an HDTV, go Xbox. If you don't, go Wii. Unless there's something you Just Gotta Have on either platform already.

PS3 is taking a tremendously successful name and dragging in the mud with the bullshit that has caused Sony to slip in so many other markets.

It's missing a component cable. Thus it "doesn't have an HD Period" any more or less than most HD receiver boxes.

The real difference between HDMI and component is sound and video being carried through 5 cables or sound and video being carried through one big cable. That and HDCP, which is why Sony went with HDMI in the lesser PS3 in the first place. Yay for crappy copy protection techniques!

Technically the copy protection for DVI/HDMI isn't supposed to be enforced till 2009. If you trust Sony, etc.

Guest Princess Leena
Why get the core PS3?

The premium has nothing I'm interested in.

It's really a scam. All that HD space is completely unnecessary (unless you're modding, and then you'd be putting in a bigger HD than 60GB, anyway).

I'd be paying $100 more for stuff I don't need, at all.

if i was going to get a PS3, i'd consider the 'tard package'. But i'm stranger than most gamers, I really resent the PC-ification of game consoles, so the smaller hard drive is not something that bothers me, if I end up with no HD space, that will just assure that i only play "buy and play" gaes with no HD nonsense.

of course who knows if i'll ever get a ps3 depending on how the price drops go, so there ya go.

More HD space is a good thing, actually.

With my 360, I'm down to about 9 gig or so last time I checked, because they're releasing demos and videos over Live at a good clip.

Sony's supposedly charging for demos, so it doesn't apply there.

So, I bought a 360 on Friday, and got the following:

- Project Gotham Racing 3 (free with the console)

- The Live Arcade Pack (with a second controller and Arcade Unplugged)

- Kameo: Elements of Power (which I didn't pay for, but happened to be in the Arcade Pack box, so fuck it, I'm not taking it back

- aaaaand Madden 07...

- aaaaaaand NBA Live 07, because I'm a fucking idiot who wanted to blow another 200 bucks.

I've now spent $1000 Australian Dollars on this, which gives me the console, two controllers, a recharge pack (I'll get another one next week), and 5 games. The PS3's release price is $1000. Fuck Sony, I get to play UNO.