TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

Ricky Quiles spent the night in the hospital witha morphine drip. His wife said he would be ok.

The ref & Quiles' corner should be shot.

My ass. He's always been filthy dirty and finally gets called out on it for something other than the way he fights.

I don't mean that it's a shame his balls have shrunk. I just think it's shit that he needed to use HGH, and who knows how jacked he was when he was winning titles. Fuck Holyfield.

On another note, the fights tonight are going to be fucking great.

Green by SD after Miranda headbutt stops it

Cotto by KO 8

Darchinyan by KO 4

Marquez by SD in a war.

IIRC, he took 337 punches to the head and probably didn't land 1/2 of that himself. I thought they would end it the round after the 57-4(ish) punch count round.

It was something like that. The ref told him he would stop it if he didnt show him something after the 9th...for the next three rounds Quiles couldn't even keep his hands up & was taking constant shots to his head. The ref just refused to do anything about it. Hopefully he ends up ok but I wont be shocked if Quiles turns into another a McLellan or Quarry after last night.

And Evan Fields was already damaging his legacy before this week's news. Now he shouldn't even be mentioned in any all-time lists. Pathetic.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
Jesus God, Ricky Quiles took a horrific beating tonight.

Any video up yet? Youtube didn't.

And now Victor Burgos isn't looking too good.

That ref should be shot. Dude's face was a fucking mess, and he didn't do a fucking thing all night. He didn't even have his legs under him for the last 4 rounds. He's going to be a vegetable for the rest of his life, and it's a shame.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Just saw the replay. That was a pretty wicked shitkicking, but not bad enough to warrant the melodramatic shouting from Atlas. If anything, how lousy of a finisher is Campbell? He had Quiles beat down and on the ropes by the 8th. Go out there and swing for the fences on him to make it look bad enough to get a stop, or else put him down.

Quiles was still moving surprisingly well for taking all of that damage, and despite being totally uncompetetive, had his hands up and was jabbing weakly, moving his head and feet up until the 10th. The last two rounds looked as much like fatigue from the body shots as it did head trauma, so I won't get indignant about the lack of a stop.

Playing armchair referee, I would've stopped it when Quiles took a knee. The corner should be the ones getting the shame-on-you finger more than the ref.

Both the corner & the ref for the Quiles fight should be taken out back. Quiles is a known tough guy. He's been around for a couple decades and isnt known for either a bad chin or knockout power of his own. He wasnt likely to be kod outright and he definitly wasnt going to land the big punch. Pathetic displays from those that could have done the right thing; good for Teddy Atlas trying.

The Burgos fight ref should put a gun in his mouth.

And Evan Fields was already damaging his legacy before this week's news. Now he shouldn't even be mentioned in any all-time lists. Pathetic.

I've always been a huge Holyfield fan, but I have to agree. Still doesn't change the fact that prime Holyfield was one of the smartest and toughest fighers I've ever seen, but this does destroy what was left of his legacy. His rapid decline has been apparent ever since the mid 90s, and roid abuse is very telling.

I wouldn't even call it that. The first power punch he hit him with knocked Austin into a loop.

Austin was a stiff, I'd like to see Peter get in there with Vlad. That's the REAL title match, if you ask me.

And apparently a shockingly inshape and fired up Sultan ran over Mora. Too bad it wasn't Briggs.

Sorry, I'm not sold on Peter. He improved against Toney in that he figured out he could outjab the smaller man (duh), but he is still sloppy and awkward as hell. Meanwhile, Wlad is far more confident, sharper and patient than he was when he was coming off two terrible TKO losses, and would most likely pick up where he left off in their last match with Peter doing the chicken dance. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if the suddenly game Oleg beats Peter(assuming the match takes place).

Wlad is also in talks with Valuev(assuming gets past his mandatory) for a possible June bout. That should be interesting. I think Wlad will outpoint him, but I can't see him scoring the KO.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

He could if he sneaks in tight and beats the body like hell. Get the ogre to drop his gloves and then come up underneath. It would take about nine really boring rounds, but it would probably work.

Johnny Tapia OD'd on cocaine this morning.

Not dead yet, and hopefully he won't die at all.

Veteran broadcaster Bob Papa will replace Fran Charles on HBO's "Boxing After Dark" announce team effective immediately. Papa, a longtime blow-by-blow man for ESPN2's Friday Night Fights, later worked for NBC and the Versus Network. The BAD broadcast team also includes Max Kellerman and former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis. Papa's first assignment will be the March 24 HBO telecast of Kessler-Andrade from Copenhagen. According to HBO, Charles’ workload at NFL Network created scheduling conflicts which led to his ouster.

YES! Fran Charles made me want to blow my brain out.

Supposedly, these 7 foot giants like Valuev, are "commonly" seen in the Eastern European circuit, it is just that none of them have gotten as far as Valuev has. The dude is a giant, and is a size mismatch for anyone, however when I saw him on HBO he didn't look too impressive as far as skills go and I think WLAD would have a relatively easy time painting the guy with punches.

I must say, Wlad looks like a brand new fighter under Emmanuel Stewart and the only thing left to prove in my eyes is if WLAD can take a punch, and what happens if he does get dropped. I know in the Peter fight, he was dropped three times, and he didn't look gassed or lost like he did when going down in previous fights., however nine times out of ten, if you are a heavyweight boxer, you won't have the luxury of getting up from three knockdowns before the fight is called. Wlad is definately born again hard, but the problem is, if you have a glass chin, there is ALWAYS a chance to get beaten by inferior competition.

"Supposedly, these 7 foot giants like Valuev, are "commonly" seen in the Eastern European circuit, it is just that none of them have gotten as far as Valuev has. The dude is a giant, and is a size mismatch for anyone, however when I saw him on HBO he didn't look too impressive as far as skills go and I think WLAD would have a relatively easy time painting the guy with punches."

His stamina, chin, and workrate surprised me, but Wlad shouldn't have a problem outboxing him.

"Wlad is definately born again hard, but the problem is, if you have a glass chin, there is ALWAYS a chance to get beaten by inferior competition."

I never bought into the glass chin case for Wlad. He got shocked and overwhelmed by Sanders, gassed against Brewster, and I would have a hard time calling most of the Peter knockdowns legit with a straight face. The last knock down was probably legit but Wlad had no problem recovering; I also suspect his struggling confidence coming into the fight had a lot to do with sloppy performance. Peter is also one of the more heavy handed fighters in the division. Besides if he keeps fighting the way he does, he won't have to take too many clean shots.

I never bought into the glass chin case for Wlad

Me either, well not too much anyway. His loss to Sanders I almost blame on his corner since Wlad was ice cold coming out of the lockerroom, when any common idiot knows your boxer should be warming up and in mid-sweat by the time he enters the ring.

Against Brewster, it seemed like conditioning, as he got up and wasn't wobbly at all, just tired as hell. I still don't quite understand that fight, but it would explain why Wlad is way more picky about throwing punches now then before.