TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Perfxion

Dumbest Songs of all time

Comparing "Smells like Teen Spirit" to "Summertime" is just bizarre. Nirvana had to, you know, play instruments. Lyrics aren't the sole criteria of a good song.

Godammit, noone has mentioned "MMMBop" yet?

Back when Mmmbop came out, I did think it was the worst song ever... however there have been numerous songs since then that make it look like "Hey Jude" by comparison

YEAH-UH! YEAH-UH! YEAH-UH! NO NO.

We must have all heard that a billion times in 2001/2002.

Though I'm sure that Nickelback has their share of fans here, considering the love that Evanescence, 50 Cent, and Dwight Yoakem get.

This is not a defence of sappy Nickelback songs. But The Chilis have used that line as well.

Godammit, noone has mentioned "MMMBop" yet?

Back when Mmmbop came out, I did think it was the worst song ever... however there have been numerous songs since then that make it look like "Hey Jude" by comparison

Yeah but this is a list of The Dumbest Songs Of All Time, so it fits here.

"Smells like teen spirit" by Nirvana.

You can say something like it's got great sound but the lyrics are the stupidest load of crap ever spewed out the mouth of a singer. It's gotta be a top 10 finalist for most overrated song in the history of music as well.

While I'll admit I got tired of that song long ago, I'd also remind you that song was written 15 years ago...back when Color Me Badd, Gerardo, C+C Music Factory, and Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch were popular.

Smells Like Teen Spirit > Every popular song from the year 1991.

Except that its STILL getting praised as a great song when it's just NOT. No one goes out and defends Marky Mark's "Feel the vibrations" as one of the best. The song is what it is, stupid load that is still getting more than it deserves.

The fact that I can list 100 songs from 1991--one single year in the history of recorded music--that aren't even in Nirvana's league proves that including "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on a list of the dumbest songs of all time is just a desperate attempt to unfairly discredit a song you don't get.

And, really now? "Stupid load"? Do you even know what the lyrics are???

Im worse at what I do best

And for this gift I feel blessed

Our little group has always been

And always will until the end

With the lights out its less dangerous

Here we are now

Entertain us

I feel stupid and contagious

Here we are now

Entertain us

Cobain was able to combine self-awareness about his own talent and use it to make a statement about the youth culture's apathy.

Did you even know that's what the songs about, or did you just think he was stringing together random words?

The lyrics certainly do seem.....random....you must admit that.

Masked Man of Mystery is on the case.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" is a great song. Fuck the historical relevance argument; I'll just say it's flat out good. Aggressive, spooky, simple, cathartic. There ya go.

Masked Man of Mystery is on the case.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" is a great song. Fuck the historical relevance argument; I'll just say it's flat out good. Aggressive, spooky, simple, cathartic. There ya go.

It's definately spooky and probably was cathartic for Cobain, and I love the tune, TNA and WCW did a good job ripping it off, but the lyrics seem very random to me. And yes, I realize that the Dead wrote some darn strange lyrics too. I'm not complaining, just making a point.

Yeah. The whole movie is pretty intensely fucked up.

And I always love Frank Black just freaking out. Cracks me up, especially contrasted with Kim Deal's really pretty, slight voice.

I know that it's so chic nowadays to tear down Nirvana and I won't argue with anybody who wants to say that it's probably the most overrated track from Nevermind...but to suggest that "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is on the same level of idiocy as "My Humps", "Peaches", or any one of Toby Keith's recent offerings is motherfucking asinine.

Guest Felonies!

It sounds really cool, but it doesn't define a generation. It's just a superior rewrite of "More Than a Feeling."

Just because it isn't "A Day In The Life" doesn't mean that it's one of the dumbest songs of all time. This isn't a binary outcome - there's an awful lot of gray area where perfectly decent (but, admittedly, overplayed and overwrought) songs like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" can reside.

The lyrics certainly do seem.....random....you must admit that.

So, there's no overarching storyline throughout the narrative of the song. The song isn't necessarily stupid as a result - "I Am The Walrus" and "Paranoid Android" aren't exactly re-writes of Homer's Odyssey, but they contain more than a few memorable moments on their own, just as a result of some witty turns of phrase.

Guest Felonies!

Think of all the Talking Heads lyrics that are practically nonsense.

Anyway, SLTS is an okay song.

Ban discussions of what defines our generation.

If Kurt Cobain were still alive, he'd be almost 40. I don't think anyone here is really qualified to say he speaks for their generation.

"Hate is a strong word but I really really really dislike you"

I don't even know what this song is called, but that is the chorus.

I hear it all the time on the radio now.

It is abysmal.

I was totally gonna say "Summer Girls" by LFO. Now, I'd like to say "Liquid Dreams" by fifth tier boyband, O-Town.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

And it's probably pointless to say so around these parts, but after hovering at or around the #1 spot for months with All Or Nothing, not to mention the constant top 40 airplay of Liquid Dreams, We Fit Together, These Are The Days and I Showed Her, they're hardly fifth tier. That's for bands like No Authority, Mytown, or C-Note.