TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

I went to Target at 5am, No. 22 out of 24. Store opened at 8am, and they gave out hot chocolate and popcorn, which I did not eat or drink. I was able to use the $20 giftcard, (that you got after buying three games), on the Wii Console itself, which made that $230. I picked up an extra Wii Remote, but they didn't have extra Nunchuks. My total was around $440 after tax.

Now I'm trying to get it online, but I've never ever had any of my consoles online so I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. I have a broadband connection, and I got a Nintendo Wi-Fi Max USB Connector. I put the USB Connector into my PC downstairs, and I'm trying to get the Wii online upstairs, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Call of duty is bad? Sounded like a good concept.

I am having so many problems with the control scheme that its just not playable..it might take some more playing to work it out but the problem Im having is in order to be a good aim you have to have a really steady hand and I cant keep my remote hand steady enough. I Tried adjusting the sensitivity and everything..and too much just bogs it down to where you cant even move.

I should note, I got a Gamecube at launch at Circuit City and it wasnt anything like this..I didnt even get there til after the store opened and they still had a stack of the purple ones..all the jet black were gone but I didnt care.

I have a purple Cube too. We're secure in our masculinity, my brother.

Anya got a Cube at launch too...with no difficulty whatsoever. Maybe that's a sign Nintendo is on a massive upswing. Or maybe it's just a sign that Luigi's Mansion and Super Monkey Ball aren't in the same universe of an enticement as a fantastic Zelda game at launch is.

Now I'm trying to get it online, but I've never ever had any of my consoles online so I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. I have a broadband connection, and I got a Nintendo Wi-Fi Max USB Connector. I put the USB Connector into my PC downstairs, and I'm trying to get the Wii online upstairs, any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it is called the Wi-Fi Max, that's not the official Nintendo connector, but a 3rd party one by Datel.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/704/704528p1.html

It works for PSP and DS, but I have no idea about Wii compatibility. I would recommend calling the manufacturer--there should be a number with the packaging. In theory it should work, because the regular Nintendo USB Wi-Fi Connector lets you connect the Wii online.

I have it hooked up, and now since Family Guy is over, time to hook up the internet stuff!

Today I ask three different Wal-Marts on how many PS3's and Wii's they had in stock.

Wii: 130

PS3: 25

No lie.

Oh, the reason why I was at three different Wal-Marts was I was stuck tagging along for Xmas shopping.

Guest Princess Leena

So, what other games do you recommend (other than Zelda, which I'm not that interested in)?

The only other sports title I see out now is Madden, do the controls work well for that game?

If it is called the Wi-Fi Max, that's not the official Nintendo connector, but a 3rd party one by Datel.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/704/704528p1.html

It works for PSP and DS, but I have no idea about Wii compatibility. I would recommend calling the manufacturer--there should be a number with the packaging. In theory it should work, because the regular Nintendo USB Wi-Fi Connector lets you connect the Wii online.

Yeah, rechecking it's the 3rd party one by Datal. It does say "WiFi MAX, for Nintendo DS and Nintendo Wii", on the box and manual though. I just can't get it to work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Wii Sports is pretty hilarious. The boxing game is really fun, everyone got a kick out of it. It seems like the perfect set of games for both kids and adults to enjoy, which makes it a nice packaged title.

The little avatars (mii's) are a cute little touch as well, we had fun just designing ourselves.

Just finished playing it at my friends appartment. Pretty fun system. Definatly puts a new spin on video games.

We were playing Wii sports, which was a good laugh, and he also got Rayman (Zelda was sold out). Rayman was fun, and there is a lot of FPS action in it, which was pretty fun to play (reminded me of playing a gun game at the arcade).

Got in line around 9.30 last night at my local Target which had 60 and I was lucky number 14. The Best Buy across the street had 84, Circuit City had 12, and Wal-Mart had 24. I snagged Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Zelda. I've had more fun playing Wii Sports than either of the other titles.

I'm glad Nintendo really didn't fuck up the launch for the Wii system.

vert.johnson.ap.jpg

The man next to Reggie is the first person in New York to buy a Wii, Isaiah Triforce Johnson, who legally changed his name to include a Zelda reference. He waited outside the Toys 'R Us store in Times Square for a week and is wearing a Power Glove on his right hand.

vert.johnson.ap.jpg

The man next to Reggie is the first person in New York to buy a Wii, Isaiah Triforce Johnson, who legally changed his name to include a Zelda reference. He waited outside the Toys 'R Us store in Times Square for a week and is wearing a Power Glove on his right hand.

Him wearing the power glove makes him so bad.

I love my Wii. I set it up to my wireless network at home (thanksgiving break for 2 weeks, thanks RIT!), and did some software updates. I got Red Steel, Monkey Ball, and Zelda. I will probably pick up Rayman sometime soon too. I set up the Wii on my parents' nice HD TV, but I am still using regular cables, it still looks really nice though.

Onto the games, Wii Sports is really fun...also not much of a fan of the boxing one, but the other ones are good, and bowling is fucking awesome. I realized I had the settings on the Wii set up wrong and it was listing the sensor bar as above the TV, but I actually had it placed below it, and after fixing that, everything felt a lot better. Playing Zelda was great, but I haven't cracked into it that much. Red Steel, while it took a little bit of time to get used to the controls, is so much fucking fun. I love the use of the built in speaker with the reloading and the control scheme in general. Monkey balln was also really fun. I even bought some Wii points and downloaded Sonic 1 just for fun, and messed around with seeing how well it ran some GC games of mine. The Mii channel is awesome too. I really like the whole interface that Nintendo made. I actually played bowling and tennis and baseball with my mom, and it's true, she hates games, but she had a blast on the Wii. <3 Wii.

Leena, I gotta say, though I don't actually HAVE one, if you don't want Zelda it might not be time to get a Wii...

I'm sure many good titles will come out soon enough.

Leena, I gotta say, though I don't actually HAVE one, if you don't want Zelda it might not be time to get a Wii...

I agree.

Leave it alone for a while, so that us Zelda fans can find a damn system. :P

I just found out that my folks had been joking to me about not being able to get a Wii because of Christmas and were generally anticipating me to bring it home so they could play.

To put this into perspective: 1) My father hasn't played a console game since Final Fantasy IV. 2) My mother has NEVER liked gaming and is interested. 3) I'm still wondering why I actually let my concious win over my greedy need to own one.

Wonder when I'll get my Wii... I'm being told next week might be a shipment, maybe only one more shipment. No one knows. Hell I've been told there's a high possibility that they might not release anymore till after Christmas.

Guest Princess Leena

I'm sure many good titles will come out soon enough.

I hope so...

I'm looking at the Wii being my sports/party game console with its controls. And unfortunately, looking on Gamefaqs, it looks like there's Madden, and only one golf game coming out in the next few months. Boo.

If a Top Spin/Smash Court like game comes out for Wii, I'd buy it right now and be joyous forever.

I was thinking they should do an Entourage episode about that, but they sort of did with the shoes for Turtle.

Wasn't Turtle an X-Box guy according to Fight Night tourney episode. Secondly, all this says about Chad Michael Murray is that a) he has shitty representation or b) wasn't high on the Hollywood totem pole to get an invite to the launch party.

On a side note, I hope that they have Wii on Friday, my parents are getting one for my brother.

I'm having so much trouble using the damn Wi-fi connector! I have it hooked up to my laptop and I have the Nintendo program put on but my Wii or my DS won't connect to the damn thing and its impossible to get ahold of someone over at Nintendo. I keep being told that the lines are all busy and I have to call back, there's no being put on hold for such a long time.

If I can't figure it out soon, I think I'm just going to wait till Jan and get the damn lan converter, because this Wi-fi bullcrap is pissing me off. Maybe a wireless router would just work better than this damn thing.

Call Nintendo. They have a great wi-fi help line that got me up and running.

Until it stopped working again--but I blame my lousy Norton Internet Security, not Nintendo/the connector. I had sold it off used and it seems whoever got it has had no problems with it.

This time around I'm saying screw it and going for the ethernet kit when it comes out. I'm hoping the Wii itself can be used as a WiFi hotspot for the DS eventually, tho.

I can't call Nintendo, everytime I do, I'm told theres "extremely high call volumes" and I'm told to call back later.

Ebay snipers should be, like, shot.

Okay--I guess it's lots of other people experiencing similar problems then. Try back now and then. Noonish should be good.

So, what other games do you recommend (other than Zelda, which I'm not that interested in)?

The only other sports title I see out now is Madden, do the controls work well for that game?

You hike the ball by moving the remote up and at least for now it only gives you EARLY SNAP warnings if you do it too soon..itd be a bitch if they penalized you for a false start every time.

Running is all done by the stick on the nunchuck, Juke by moving the nunchuck (left or right), stiff arm by moving the remote (left or right). Passing is pretty simple, just flick the remote u, slow is a lob pass and faster is a bullet pass. Receivers selected with the d-pad. To have catch the ball/intercept on defense you have to raise both the remote and the nunchuck up at the same time. Audibles are called by pointing at the QB and pressing A (which stops the clock for some reason).

Kicking is kinda hard, as you have to start the remote pointed down and flick it up and the speed you move it up gives you the power, but if you twist the remote even slightly it puts slice into the kick either way you twisted the remote.

The most rediculous control though is for a fair catch, where you have to wave the remote up in the air left to right to left to righ like you were actually signalling for a fair catch. Ive not been able to do that in game despite mastering it in the Learn Madden portion and a little less bad in Zelda..

All in all like I said, offense is easy to figure out but for some reason defensive control isn't as good.

as a side note, lots of people are complaining that the nunchuck isn't as responsive with motion controls...I noticed that a lot in the boxing game of W!! sports, as my left punches seemed to register only about 2/3rds of the time.

I'm having so much trouble using the damn Wi-fi connector! I have it hooked up to my laptop and I have the Nintendo program put on but my Wii or my DS won't connect to the damn thing and its impossible to get ahold of someone over at Nintendo. I keep being told that the lines are all busy and I have to call back, there's no being put on hold for such a long time.

If I can't figure it out soon, I think I'm just going to wait till Jan and get the damn lan converter, because this Wi-fi bullcrap is pissing me off. Maybe a wireless router would just work better than this damn thing.

I'm going crazy not being able to connect it online, too. What number do I call for help from Nintendo?

The connection options on the Wii are correct, according to the manual. My PC knows the USB is connected, but I don't know what to click to give it access to my Wii. The software is installed too. The dongle is a 3rd party one though by Datel, and not the offical Nintendo one.

I thought the dongle would be easier than a wired connection. What does anyone think is the best/easiest way to get online? My broadband connected PC is downstairs, and I'm trying to get the Wii online upstairs. Do I need a wireless router? Or a USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter? How do they work?

I really have no idea how to do this online shit.

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime mentioned that the life-span of Wii will be between 4 - 6 years, as opposed to 10 years for the PS3. Reggie expects to sell 1 million Wii units in US by the end of December 2006, and 2 million units by the second week of January 2007.

I'm going crazy not being able to connect it online, too. What number do I call for help from Nintendo?

The connection options on the Wii are correct, according to the manual. My PC knows the USB is connected, but I don't know what to click to give it access to my Wii. The software is installed too. The dongle is a 3rd party one though by Datel, and not the offical Nintendo one.

I thought the dongle would be easier than a wired connection. What does anyone think is the best/easiest way to get online? My broadband connected PC is downstairs, and I'm trying to get the Wii online upstairs. Do I need a wireless router? Or a USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter? How do they work?

I really have no idea how to do this online shit.

I'm using the Nintendo USB connector and I'm basically having the same issue your having with your 3rd party one. My Wii stuff is all correct, my laptop registers that I have the USB connector hooked up to the laptop but when I try to do the internet connection, I keep getting an error.

My DS can't get my IP address (and I have no clue where to find that at....and no please don't tell me what it is, that'll just creep me out.) and my Wii....well I just know I keep getting a error number and I have no idea what the error number means.

You can contact Nintendo at these numbers;

1-800-255-3700 - This is the regular Nintendo number and will tell you right off the bat if their are high call volumes and you need to call back later. There is no being put o hold.

1-800-895-1672 - This number is for Nintendo's internet stuff but you won't be told if there are high call volumes and you need to call back (there are still no being put on hold) right off the bat.

and just to let you know, since last night, I haven't been able to get ahold of anyone at all but AndrewTS apprently did, so maybe I'm just not that lucky right now.

You could also check out www.support.nintendo.com for a full list of maybe issues.

I think my main issue is that I might have some firewalls on and thats blocking my USB connector from sending out the right information, plus according to the USB connector directions, I'm suppose to be using Windows XP, but even though I don't have XP, I was still able to put the program on my computer. I just think my main problem is that I have firewalls blocking the information my Wii needs to get.

If I can't get this shit figured out by Monday, I think I might just have to hold out on the internet stuff until Jan. That ways I can order this Lan adaptor from Nintendo.com. Luckily Nintendo's major online hit (Smash bros) won't be out until late Jan or Feb.