TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

It's possible to score points in Wii Tennis without the computer making mistakes. It involves getting both of them to one side if you can, then hitting to the other side hard and fast.

You can also hit a wide angled shot with your front guy if you can anticipate properly.

I brought the Wii over to a friend's place, and literally on his first (and every subsequent try), was able to hit the very back corner of the inbounds at a speed an angle it was impossible for me to hit.

Some of the learning curve, I found, is the right way to hold the Wiimote.

Yeah, my main strategy is hitting hard cross-court as much as possible. It still works on the more skilled computer players, just not as well or often as it does on the lower ones.

Has anyone hit the ball out long against the computer? It appears to be impossible when facing the computer (at least, I've never done it).

I kind of lost interest in getting a Wii in the near future when I heard Smash Brothers and Mario are now fall 2007 releases (it seemed to me they were Spring releases before). I still want one, though, but I'm getting bad flashbacks to the N64 - great must-have launch game with a unique control scheme (analog was new to consoles then, right?) and then nothing that's really worth your time except games that keep getting pushed back. That said, I loved my N64.

Not that I doubt it, but source plz on Fall 2007 release for Smash Bros and Mario Galaxy?

There's a rumored Christmas release for Mario Galaxy, but I've seen nothing confirmed.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Nintendo press release hit the tubes.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070123/latu078.html?.v=91

Feb. 14 - Wii Play

March 27th - Disney’s Meet the Robinsons

March - Bust-A-Move Bash

March - Prince of Persia Rival Swords

March - TMNT

March - Bionicle Heroes

March - Blazing Angels

Q1 - Tiger Woods

Q1 - SSX Blur

Q1 - Godfather: Blackhand Edition

Q1 - Medal of Honor Vanguard

Q1 - Sonic and the Secret Rings

Virtual Console gets Mario Kart 64 next week and News Channel arrives 27th.

It was mentioned in EGM's 2007 preview.

Yeah, my main strategy is hitting hard cross-court as much as possible. It still works on the more skilled computer players, just not as well or often as it does on the lower ones.

Has anyone hit the ball out long against the computer? It appears to be impossible when facing the computer (at least, I've never done it).

I hit the ball long, most often when hitting a hard slice backhand. It can also go long if it clips the net. Other than those two scenarios, it doesn't happen a whole lot, if at all.

Guest Princess Leena

I never hit long. All of my power slice shots hit very short in the court. The only time I hit deep is when I put tons of topspin on the ball. Beat the 1900 ranked team this morning. Yay. You gotta be fit to beat them, though. It's like women's tennis with wooden rackets.

And I should be online shortly. I got a Netgear router, because I wanted a challenge. Unfortunately, it's as easy as pie. The connection is slow as poop though, because I forgot to change the channel from 11 to 1, and I don't want to mess it up while it's updating.

You gotta be fit to beat them, though. It's like women's tennis with wooden rackets.

wait wait wait

Surely, surely the Wii isn't drawing a sweat???

Guest Princess Leena

When I play standing up, yes it does.

I do better when I'm sitting though. Makes me hit down on the ball. Baseball does too, because you have to try swinging hard.

Is March still the target date for them to be readily available on store shelves, or is that something I made up in my mind? This would be the 3rd time I thought something was coming out - or in this case readily available - in March (Mario Galaxy and Smash Brothers Brawl) that, looking back, I can't see a reason I ever thought that.

I never hit long. All of my power slice shots hit very short in the court. The only time I hit deep is when I put tons of topspin on the ball. Beat the 1900 ranked team this morning. Yay. You gotta be fit to beat them, though. It's like women's tennis with wooden rackets.

And I should be online shortly. I got a Netgear router, because I wanted a challenge. Unfortunately, it's as easy as pie. The connection is slow as poop though, because I forgot to change the channel from 11 to 1, and I don't want to mess it up while it's updating.

If the router is a WGR614, you are totally screwed. That router is incompatible with the DS WiFiConnection, and by proxy, when Wii's online play starts, it just won't work for you. Take it back if you can.

Netgear refuses to acknowledge the problem, and the advice given on the Netegar forums is "Buy a Linksys".

Guest Princess Leena

I got a WGR614, and got it to full speed. :P The cheapy Netgear is by far the best at going long distances, which is why I wanted to get it.

There seems to be 2 issues with it:

1) You can only have WEP encryption on. And to do that, you need to enter the encryption code to the Wii. Or, just turn security off altogether, which I can do since nobody will be stealing mine.

2) Your modem must be in Bridge mode. I had to change that to get it to work.

I got a WGR614, and got it to full speed. :P The cheapy Netgear is by far the best at going long distances, which is why I wanted to get it.

There seems to be 2 issues with it:

1) You can only have WEP encryption on. And to do that, you need to enter the encryption code to the Wii. Or, just turn security off altogether, which I can do since nobody will be stealing mine.

2) Your modem must be in Bridge mode. I had to change that to get it to work.

The problems with the Netgear have have nothing to do with connecting to WiiConnect24. The problems come from playing against other people, especially people on your Friends List. Once online play starts, you'll probably see problems. If you don't, then bless those Nintendo network engineers.

Obviously, since there are no online games (Elebits isn't really an online game), this is all speculation on my part. I really wish I'm wrong, because Netgear routers have some really neat features, like the ability to assign static IP's to MAC Addresses. If I could go to Netgear and have my DS work, I would.

Guest Princess Leena

Do you mean you can't connect at all, or that Netgears often lose connection?

Do you mean you can't connect at all, or that Netgears often lose connection?

Both. If you are on a Netgear router, you will not be able to connect to people on your friends list. Period. (Read: Animal Crossing Unplayable)

Otherwise, it will take 5-7 times as long to find a match, and you risk random disconnection.

Is March still the target date for them to be readily available on store shelves, or is that something I made up in my mind? This would be the 3rd time I thought something was coming out - or in this case readily available - in March (Mario Galaxy and Smash Brothers Brawl) that, looking back, I can't see a reason I ever thought that.

Based on what I've seen on sales on Wii's at my Wal*Mart, probably not March, but April is realistic. Sales are slowing down from the usual 20 minutes to an hour up to one-two days. Multiply that by five or six shipments between now and March, and you're looking at a probably 50-50 chance in March. There is, of course, tax refunds in April, but I'm still of the school of thought that kids play outside during the spring.

Cross your fingers in March, or save your money till April, this guy sez.

My Best Buy had Wii's show up this morning and they sat around on the shelf for a good while. There was one left when I went in to buy something this afternoon.

I picked up a WiFi Max USB device to try and connect my Wii to the internet. I followed the directions, but so far nothing is happening. Has anyone else used this or have any advice to offer?

Theres a lot of flack on the net for the Wii not having any games coming out, but honestly thats usually the case for all the consoles immediately after they launch, especially when the launch happens right before the holidays, but Nintendo really doesn't have to worry if they're still flying off the shelves like they are. I still haven't beat Zelda, and Im not even really playing COD3 at all..and I still could play Madden a lot as well..so I have enough to tide me over for the next few months..plus I have a ton of gamecube games I can play too..its not as bad as everyone's saying.

It's less "not any games" and more "the games that are coming out are lame licensed games, gamecube ports, or both."

When *I* can't muster much enthusiasm for Prince of Persia Wii (another lame port), that's pretty bad.

Guest Princess Leena

Every launch goes through an early dry spell. That's why I usually wait a year to buy consoles.

360's launch was a lot worse than this, and the PS3 isn't any better.

Yep. I only bought a Wii early so I could trade-in my GameCube before it completely plummeted in value. The PS3 has 2 games coming out in the next 2 months that look better than anything the Wii is getting in the same timeframe (VF5 and Virtua Tennis 3). The rest of the year doesn't look very good for either system. They both have a couple high-end titles slated to come out near the end of the year, but not much else. And It wouldn't surprise me if a couple of those got pushed back. Contrast that to the XBox 360, which has a whole bunch of interesting titles due out in both the short and long-term. Console launches suck.

Theres a lot of flack on the net for the Wii....

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Edit: Odd. So Marvin can say W ! !, but the word swap happens for anyone else? That's just pointless.

Guest Smues

It catches it if he types it in normally, but not if he links his image or types in that double !! thing. I edited that last post of his to put back in Wii, but fuck it. Marvin, if you're going to go to that much trouble to be annoying, then whatever, have your fun.

Does anyone besides the three people on the Wii numbers list (which includes me) own Elebits? I really wanna start trading levels, etc.

Guest bigsheep305

Just as a reference to people talking about SSX Blur before. It's not actually a rehash of SSX 3, or any OTHER SSX game for that matter. IT WILL feature some of the same courses, but it's a new game with a ton of new stuff on it's own. And you steer not by using the analogue stick, but by tilting the nunchuck. You CAN use the analogue stick to make sharper turns, but it's not a necessity.