TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Yuna_Firerose

Nostalgia.

Inspired by the Oregon Trail post, this is somewhat of a continuation.

What are games that, by today/your standards, are of inferior quality to what you usually would play. The badness could be due to graphics, AI, voice acting... whatever. It's a bad game, yet you love it all the same. The type of game ya dust off every so often just for the walk down memory lane. What are some examples of that?

For me, it would be the King's Quest series, or the two I've played (VI: Heir Toay, Gone Tomorrow and VIII: Mask of Eternity). The latter is fairly recent, but its graphical quality is on par with the first Tomb Raider.

It might be the best of the series, but Roberta Williams games are overrated. When you can get stuck hours later in the game because you didn't pick up some mystical pebble, that sucks.

For example, in KQ6, I got to the falling ceiling puzzle in the labrynth, and was irreversibly screwed because I hadn't picked up a loose brick earlier. Lame.

I'd say the first Mortal Kombat qualifies. The X-Men arcade game was fun, because you could play with a bunch of friends, but it was a pretty generic brawler.

Guest Princess Leena
Any Olympic game. Ever.

Nagano 98 in particular.

Back when Olympic games were decent.

Torino is a pile of shit.

ZAMN is not a bad game.

Bad Dudes is.

2 Crude Dudes (sequel I tihnk) is bad without quite as much charm. You control 1 or 2 massive, post-apoc looking roided up biker freaks who do things like hoist around cars and toss them, while also doing lumbering jump kicks and fighting really cheap enemies. You can punch soda machines for more life, and I seem to recall fighting a friend over it in coop.

Altered Beast is really lame too, but the voices are hilarious.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Mike Patton sampled Altered Beast for Mr. Bungle's debut album.

I love with all my heart any vertically moving airplane shooter game that never ends. Like 1942.

Any Olympic game. Ever.

Nagano 98 in particular.

Back when Olympic games were decent.

Torino is a pile of shit.

Curling. Curling in a video game. There's nothing not to like about that.

Anyone ever play Toobin' for the old school NES?

You're on a raft floating down 15 or 20 different rivers, each with specific enemies, which you could throw rocks at to prevent from killing you. (Alligators in the Okefenokee or some crazy guy in a sombrero in the Rio Grande for example).

Game never ended. Levels got faster and faster like Duck Hunt.

Goldeneye is a game that people get nostalgic for, but has since been surpased by shooters that have used it as a benchmark. I bet I would find it pretty unplayable today.

I was also apparantly the only one who enjoyed playing Manhunt.

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun was an awful game with some cool Pearl Harbor levels...although using Michael Bay's revisionist history is pretty annoying.

Goldeneye is a game that people get nostalgic for, but has since been surpased by shooters that have used it as a benchmark. I bet I would find it pretty unplayable today.

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun was an awful game with some cool Pearl Harbor levels...although using Michael Bay's revisionist history is pretty annoying.

What was his revisionist history and why did they use it in a game?

Eternal Champions for Sega CD.

One of the worst fighting game series ever. Horrible hit detection. Poor response times. Shit-tastic sound effects. But man, me and a couple buddies played the SHIT out of it for months to get every fatality and whatnot.

ETERNAL%20CHAMPIONS%20CD_008.jpg

Eternal_Champions_Foto4.jpg

Midnight ftw.

Arch Rivals from the NES along with Zombies Ate my Neighbors for the SNES.

Did you ever beat Zombies? Cause I was a youngin back then and didn't have the gaming skills or patience to beat that game. I think the farthest I got was around level 7.

I was a big fan of WrestleMania: The Arcade Game in 1995. Rented it for the Genesis more than once (note: I never owned one, I would rent it because the SNES version was weak and play it a friend's house on the weekend - annoying them, as they were sick of the game). Played it a lot when the local convenience store had it as an arcade game (later replaced by SF vs X-Men, which I became obsessed with for a time). Boy was that game bad, though. Even worse, I was eagerly anticipating In Your House; friends and I even rented a PS1 from a video store for a weekend to play it. I never could find it once I had a PS of my own, though. I'm sure it was even worse than WM:TAG.

Yeah, that game was really good. Basically the best parts about NBA Jam and Mk smashed together. The PS1 version was a darn good translation. I've played every single version of WM TAG that exists: Arcade, Genesis, SNES, 32x, PS1, Saturn, and PC. Surprisingly the SNES version really, really sucked.

It was a bit easier to play and just as good as Slam Masters.

I bought a Playstation primarily to play the very best version of the game available at home at the time.

Plus the PS1 NBA Jam TE was really damn good, too. The game had enhanced fire effects and the GINORMOUS head mode.

I bought IYH the day it came out and damn it sucked. The animation was pitiful, the colors were grainy and washed out, the sound sucked, the gameplay was kind of screwed up by putting a lot more "realistic" attacks in while simultaneously making the special moves 10 times stupider. The Super Pins....ugh, don't get me started.

^

Balderdash. WM:TAC was far superior to IYH.

I'm almost certain that's what I said, or meant to imply.

"I'm sure it [iYH] was even worse than WM:TAG."

I'm pretty sure I've read it was arcade only, but did the PS1 keep the endings (like Razor Ramon selling the title belt to a pawn shop)?

Edit: Probably a typo, but I have no idea why I was refering to "The Arcade Game" was "TAC".

Guest Princess Leena

Just about every tennis game. Although, there's some good ones out there.

Tiger Woods/PGA Tour series. I know the game has gotten ridiculously easy and unrealistic over the years. But, I still play a fair bit. Waiting for the 2007 PAL version to be leaked as we speak...

Final Fantasy IV. It will always be my favorite RPG. Despite it looking like crap compared to VI. And a cliche storyline.

No Mercy. Looks so damn hideous and matches with more than 2 wrestlers are filled with lag, but sadly, it's by far the best wrestling game on my XBox.

What was his revisionist history and why did they use it in a game?

I don't know if EA got their impression of the attack on Pearl Harbor from Bay's movie or not, but in both cases, the attack ends because the Americans build up enough resistance to make the Japenese retreat. The revising, in this case, is making the U.S. Navy the bittersweet victors of Pearl Harbor. The truth of it is that the Japanese didn't "retreat" because we were suddenly beating them back. They came, they fucked us up, and they left. They attacked in two waves, and it's true that there was much more resistance by the Navy in the second wave, and that the vast majority of the Empire of Japan's casualties happened in the second wave. It's also true that the reason there was no third wave was due in part for fear of even more resistance. But there were plenty of other valid reasons too: (See Nagumo's decision to withdraw after two strikes)

To say that we made them retreat is just revisionism. They left because they basically accomplished their goal: devastation of the U.S. Pacific Naval Fleet.

Sorry for the rant, but in MOH: RS, the end cutscene of the Pearl Harbor stages boils down to "Yee-Haw! Look at 'em turn tail and run!" and even though they get a dressing-down from their commander, I just find that sentiment annoying. I only saw Bay's film once, and I'm pretty sure it had a similar slant.