TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE News and Notes: 9/18 and 9/20

No offense taken. ;)

I just think it's silly to think that MMA is going to really damage wrestling in the US, unlike in Japan. If anything, it seems as if MMA might actually be helping wrestling in the ratings. At least with TNA.

Guest Kobe24KGold

Thank you very much, HTQ.

I'm glad that Vince is so clueless about continuing the DX vs. McMahons feud until 2012. It may spark the decline of the WWE -- as the loss of television viewers for the segments has shown -- and that is always a good thing.

I also think that RVD and SABU would make great opponents for DX. That would be a hot feud, expecially if they held a few shows at ECW-esque venues like Hammerstein.

Guest JN Silentbob

I think it's safe to say Angle has usurped Sabu's spot as the most suicidal wrestler around. Christ.

Layla El’s disappearance is apparently down to Vince losing interest in her.

Huh, she must not swallow.

The Spirit Squad are still set to be broken up, and the reason it hasn’t happened yet is because it’s not anyone’s priority; Vince is only concentrating on his stuff and Cena vs. Edge, so that’s where the writers priorities are.

The sad part is that they're putting all their creative energies into these two angles, and this is what we get? Damn shame.

”The current plans regarding DX, through the wishes of both Vince and Stephanie are to go “full steam” with the current program with no plans whatsoever to drop it. There have been complaints regarding the feeling it has run its course, that HHH and Michaels look ridiculous playing defiant teenagers at 40, and that the angle is making no new stars and destroyed the Spirit Squad which had turned into a hot act and is now dead. Vince and Stephanie are refusing to listen to any dissenting opinion of these subjects, including the idea of adding new younger members to DX as a way to give them the “star” rub that made Batista and Orton in Evolution.”

Well as long as thy get what they want, I guess that's all that really matters. :rolleyes:

Alot of online fans seem to think that everyone knows wrestling is fake, or is worked, or that most wrestlers AREN"T super tough bastards.

You are wrong.

We are *NOT* the majority of wrestling fans. The majority are little kids/people who still believe to some exist that wrestling is real. Not so much the outcomes anymore, but that wrestlers are tough bastards who can handle themselves in a fight. Kurt Angle has been pushed from day one as a legitimate athlete who can whoop the ass out of anyone, and his recent shooter push from the last few years pushes this even further. 90% of wrestling fans are not smart, or even educated to the sport. They believe Angle is everything WWE had billed him as in a worked environment. They'll hear "Angle's doing that Ultimate Fighting stuff...I wanna see!". I know this because I LIVE with Marks, and my entire extended family are like this. They exist, and they are the majority.

Angle does MMA, the casual WWE fans will watch, the hardcore wrestling fans will watch, and fans from around the world will watch due to Angle's credentials. He is considered not just here, but around the world as one of the best wrestlers period DUE to his legitimate abilities and skills. If Angle does MMA, and dies by KO or submission in less then a minute then all it does is definatively say "Hey, wrestling is fake! Look at what happened to Angle!". Bam, world wide business goes down. Bam, MMA gets a way bigger market share due to what's happened and it being considered the cool/real product. UFC already is cutting a chunk out of WWE"s PPV revenue, it'll be worse if this happens.

I've never claimed it'll be as bad as it was in Japan, because PRIDE and MMA pretty much killed Pro-Wrestling as it was, but it's STILL going to damage Pro-Wrestling in the states. It may not matter to you, the smart fan, but watching a multiple time WWE world champion get his ass kicked by a middle of the road shoot fighter is going to damage every aspect of WWE's product, let alone Angle's status to the casual fan. God forbid they do Angle/Puder, because Puder will tap him fairly easily and then the MMA fed will run an angle where WWE was too scared of legitimate abilities. WWE can't say it's false, because it IS true. If UFC puts this together, they have more then enough money and coverage to bury the shit out of WWE on TV.

Guest Kobe24KGold
Alot of online fans seem to think that everyone knows wrestling is fake, or is worked, or that most wrestlers AREN"T super tough bastards.

You are wrong.

We are *NOT* the majority of wrestling fans. The majority are little kids/people who still believe to some exist that wrestling is real. Not so much the outcomes anymore, but that wrestlers are tough bastards who can handle themselves in a fight. Kurt Angle has been pushed from day one as a legitimate athlete who can whoop the ass out of anyone, and his recent shooter push from the last few years pushes this even further. 90% of wrestling fans are not smart, or even educated to the sport. They believe Angle is everything WWE had billed him as in a worked environment. They'll hear "Angle's doing that Ultimate Fighting stuff...I wanna see!". I know this because I LIVE with Marks, and my entire extended family are like this. They exist, and they are the majority.

Angle does MMA, the casual WWE fans will watch, the hardcore wrestling fans will watch, and fans from around the world will watch due to Angle's credentials. He is considered not just here, but around the world as one of the best wrestlers period DUE to his legitimate abilities and skills. If Angle does MMA, and dies by KO or submission in less then a minute then all it does is definatively say "Hey, wrestling is fake! Look at what happened to Angle!". Bam, world wide business goes down. Bam, MMA gets a way bigger market share due to what's happened and it being considered the cool/real product. UFC already is cutting a chunk out of WWE"s PPV revenue, it'll be worse if this happens.

I've never claimed it'll be as bad as it was in Japan, because PRIDE and MMA pretty much killed Pro-Wrestling as it was, but it's STILL going to damage Pro-Wrestling in the states. It may not matter to you, the smart fan, but watching a multiple time WWE world champion get his ass kicked by a middle of the road shoot fighter is going to damage every aspect of WWE's product, let alone Angle's status to the casual fan. God forbid they do Angle/Puder, because Puder will tap him fairly easily and then the MMA fed will run an angle where WWE was too scared of legitimate abilities. WWE can't say it's false, because it IS true. If UFC puts this together, they have more then enough money and coverage to bury the shit out of WWE on TV.

Good point. It would kill pro-wrestling's credibility dead. In fact, if Angle were to get killed by a nobody such as Puder, I can see it as the beginning of the end for Vince McMahon's empire. Of course, that would be preceded by lots of UFC chants at the shows.

I think it all goes back to the notion that the realness doesn't matter as much as the presentation does, and how the characters are portrayed. Steve Austin and Bill Goldberg, to name a few, aren't necessarily legit tough guys, but they were delineated to be world beaters and people bought into it. Once that veil of toughness is shattered, then so does professional wrestling as a viable commodity.

If Angle does MMA (assuming this is after he's had the time to heal and train) why does everyone think he'd automatically lose? I mean, he did win a gold medal with a broken freaking neck :P This isn't exactly like Jericho and Goldberg fighting in the locker-room or anything.

But yeah, if Angle were to try and do MMA in the condition he's in now, I think he'd be killed. Literally.

It wouldn't matter if Angle took a whole year to recover and rest for a MMA match. Kurt's damage is beyond physical. He isn't even mentally stable enough to do a MMA match, no matter who is across the ring.

If I were UFC, I'd sign Angle, let him train for a bit and rest up, then do Angle/Shamrock in June or something.

Talk about big business. That'd do an awesome buyrate and gate. Angle would atleast have a SHOT against Ken Shamrock.

Guest Kobe24KGold
If I were UFC, I'd sign Angle, let him train for a bit and rest up, then do Angle/Shamrock in June or something.

Talk about big business. That'd do an awesome buyrate and gate. Angle would atleast have a SHOT against Ken Shamrock.

Angle vs. Shamrock, for the novelty of seeing two guys with the same ankle lock finisher, has been a WWE dream match for a long time, let alone a UFC one.

That would fucking shatter everything.

No offense taken. ;)

I just think it's silly to think that MMA is going to really damage wrestling in the US, unlike in Japan. If anything, it seems as if MMA might actually be helping wrestling in the ratings. At least with TNA.

Not really. Impact has had Ultimate Fighter as a lead in for a year or so and can barely hold half of the audience.

Wait, who said that wrestling (in the states) has any credibility? Half of RAW these days is DX making dick jokes.

BTW, why are they continuing that. It feels like it's lasted 24 months already.

Guest Diablo_Dor
If Angle does MMA (assuming this is after he's had the time to heal and train) why does everyone think he'd automatically lose? I mean, he did win a gold medal with a broken freaking neck :P This isn't exactly like Jericho and Goldberg fighting in the locker-room or anything.

But yeah, if Angle were to try and do MMA in the condition he's in now, I think he'd be killed. Literally.

Also, and I know this was 2/3 years ago, but didn't Angle beat Big Show & Lesnar in "Olympic Wrestling" matches in the back around the time that Brock moved to Smackdown?

Wasn't there rumours Kurt wanted to train for 2004 Olympics cause he was still able to hang with those guys?

I know he is now a shell of himself but was that story just shite?

On the flip of that, Angle has obviously been on some bodybuilding supplements (Just compare and contrast pre and post WWE) what are the rules regarding use of that stuff in MMA? How long does it take to get out of the system let alone the pain killer issues he has at present?

Guest JoeMelba

as a longtime ufc and wwe fan, i can definitely say that the ufc is taking my ppv dollars away from the wwe. i would've definitely got unforgiven 2 nights ago if there wasn't a ufc ppv on saturday (and if there hadn't been a pride ppv 2 weeks ago).

joe

There is a GIGANTIC difference between pure Amateur Wrestling and today's MMA. Angle would have probably decimated people in 1996 on that alone provided his neck wasn't too big of an issue, but this is 2006. MMA has evolved. Not to mention Angle's incredible body breakdown.

Any middle of the road Shoot fighter will beat Angle at this stage of his life. Put Angle against someone with either good submission skills or striking, and he'd be done really quickly. Rashad Evans is the only comparison to Angle right now in mainstream MMA, a raw highly skilled Amateur wrestler who has little to no skills in anything else. The difference is, Rashad is in great condition, never suffered half the injuries Angle has and I believe he's naturally stronger then Angle. Angle doesn't have half of the tools Rashad has, which is pretty sad considering Rashad is about as one dimensional as they come.

And I'm not even going to dignify that "Wrestling has no credibility so MMA can't hurt it!" thing with a response. So wrong on so many levels.

Man, if Angle ever read this thread it would only make him REALLY want to prove people wrong in those other fields. It is also true that if Angle gets absolutely decimated it would really hurt the wwe. Look how much problems the Puder incident caused and they doctored that up real quick the following week when other forms of combat fighting were talking about how Angle couldn't get out of the Puder hold.

The wwe brags about how Angle is the only Gold medalist in history. How he was the fastest rising star in years winning all the titles within a year. Fake or not it would have SOME impact on the wwe presentation. It's true not everyone is "smart" to wrestling as been mentioned. Being smart is not saying it's fake either.

September 18th

Says Kurt Angle is perhaps now the single most in demand person in the history of the business.

While Kurt can write his ticket when it come to wrestling, it’s in MMA where he could conceivably earn close to his $1m WWE salary.

I dont get that statement. Is he saying that if Angle made/makes a mill a year downside that he could make that or close to it for one appearance somewhere in MMA? So no one in the history of the business, even during the boom periods, has made that much money? I'm assuming he means per appearance as I'm sure there have been contracts for more money but not that much for the short term. It's also interesting that his price tag is due to his rep but wwe never capitalized it to bring in more fans. They made him look like a goof for years, even winning all those titles and moving up to ME he was still a goof as if they wanted to prove that real athletes were barely on the level of 'sports entertainers' instead of the other way around. It wasnt till Heyman's SD period at its peak for 9 months in 2002-03 where he was booked at his best, which is coincidentally where he wrestled the hardest and had the most injuries

On the flip of that, Angle has obviously been on some bodybuilding supplements (Just compare and contrast pre and post WWE) what are the rules regarding use of that stuff in MMA? How long does it take to get out of the system let alone the pain killer issues he has at present?

Take this with a grain of salt, since I don't want to give any details that would give away identities, but a close friend of mine did some contract work on a UFC competitor fairly recently. The contract contains, among other things, a list of banned substances. It doesn't include steroids.

That is, they'll test for certain drugs, but steroids aren't tested for, according the standard contract.

Edited by Ace309

Take this with a grain of salt, since I don't want to give any details that would give away identities, but a close friend of mine did some contract work on a UFC competitor fairly recently. The contract contains, among other things, a list of banned substances. It doesn't include steroids.

That is, they'll test for certain drugs, but steroids aren't tested for, according the standard contract.

...quoi?

I'm not sure what a UFC contract would have to do with a fighter's testing, as the tests themselves are run by the state athletic commisions themselves. Besides, Bonnar, Sylvia, Marquardt, Barnett and several TUF hopefuls have tested positive for different various steroids over the years.

Anyways, not everyone on a UFC card is tested. Only those competing in title fights (or the main event, if no title fights are being held), plus one random pair of fighters from a match will be tested.