TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

OAO "Holy shit, Kurt Angle is in TNA now" thread...

I love how everyone here seems to be acqainted with Kurt Angle's doctor.

Ha-Ha-Ha.

It's more like people are (very) well acqainted with the WWE to the degree that we know Angle must be rightly fucked if Vince was willing to run the risk of him signing up with someone else by letting him go.

The upside for TNA is obvious, and if it works out then great (I'm not watching any wrestling at the moment myself as neither fed's weekly shows have grabbed my interest) but if the absolute worst happens - then TNA will have to shoulder a large amount of responsibility for that.

Guest East.Coast.J
Nobody even knows what they are going to do with Angle yet. If he wrestles like once a month for TNA he'll be in far better long term shape than he would be putting 100% of his effort into training for MMA and then putting himself in a position to get slaughtered.

Do you think Kurt will stick around long in TNA if he's only allowed to wrestle once per month?

Let's not forget the politicking Kurt did late in his WWE run. That will only be worse in TNA.

Kurt went to TNA to work matches.

Considering TNA only runs three times per month and most of their big stars work pay-per-view and one match on television, Angle doesn't have much of a choice when it comes to working once, maybe twice a month. I don't know what politicing necessarily has to do with anything. Angle will be the biggest name in the company, he won't have to politic.

Everything else you mentioned is just speculation on your part.

Guest East.Coast.J

The thing that still baffles me, and no news source has offered up an explanation for this yet, is why Jim Cornette said on PPV and why Dave Meltzer was told that the announcement to end the show would be made by somebody not scheduled to be in the building for the pay-per-view, and then it was just nonchalantly made by Jim Cornette.

Guest Hemme

Major coup for TNA, however in my opinion this only confirms even more what TNA & The WWE dont want you to know.

TNA & WWE are NOT competing, they are working together.

That my friends is true, it's damn true.

Guest Princess Leena
I love how everyone here seems to be acqainted with Kurt Angle's doctor.

WWE released Kurt. Do you really think Vince would just let arguably his biggest star go for no reason.

ANDREW THOMAS

“The fan in me is thrilled.”

Who is Andrew Thomas?

He's a ref.

The thing that still baffles me, and no news source has offered up an explanation for this yet, is why Jim Cornette said on PPV and why Dave Meltzer was told that the announcement to end the show would be made by somebody not scheduled to be in the building for the pay-per-view, and then it was just nonchalantly made by Jim Cornette.

Jim Cornette never made the announcement, he just told Jeff to look at the screen. When Cornette came into the ring he even said after announcing the time change somthing like, I wasn't goning to make the announcment a wrestler is and here it is.

He never announced Kurt Angle coming and that was the surprise.

The biggest "Holy Shit!" moment out of this is that Vince McMahon and the WWE actually have the moral high ground on something. If going down a path that even VINCE MCMAHON refuses to exploit isn't a bad sign i don't know what is.

Guest East.Coast.J
The biggest "Holy Shit!" moment out of this is that Vince McMahon and the WWE actually have the moral high ground on something. If going down a path that even VINCE MCMAHON refuses to exploit isn't a bad sign i don't know what is.

WWE has never had the morale high ground when it comes to Kurt Angle. You're giving Vince McMahon entirely too much credit if you think the move with Kurt Angle was anything but a preventitive measure to cover his own ass if something happened to Angle under his watch.

And considering that he's going to the same company that had no qualms about just letting Erik Watts go after he OD'd and tried to commit suicide, TNA doesn't exactly seem to be the safest place for a lunatic drug addict half-atrophied zombie with a deathwish to be heading.

"Please Don't Die" chants have never been more appropriate.

Guest OSIcon
If in a year Kurt's decision turns out to be a good one, his jump will be the catalyst for others leaving WWE and TNA actually competing. I really believe that. He is so respected in the (non ECW) lockerroom that this could turn out to be real big.

Angle's decision?

He was fired by the WWE because he refused to go to rehab and get help. He didn't decide to leave WWE and go to TNA. Nobody currenty with WWE is going to look at the Angle situation and decide "wow, Kurt chose TNA over WWE and is doing well. Maybe I'll do the same." They will (one would hope) see it for what it is. That Kurt was let go because he is a drug addict that refuses to get help and rather than taking time off to heal, he is so obsessed with wrestling that he signed with TNA.

This isn't a big star leaving WWE for TNA because they think it is a good career move. This is Angle feeling that he can't live without wrestling anda having no where else to go.

Like Bob Barron said, using the "wrestling has never been ethical" statement to justify TNA signing Angle is ridiculous. That's is childlike reasoning. It's the old "if Johnny jumped off of a bridge, would you?" TNA obvously was able to justify signing Angle to themselves but I would have a much harder time making that decision. It doesn't matter if other promotions have been unethical in the past, that doesn't give every wrestling promotion a free pass in the future from making ethical decisions. This is common sense stuff.

Really though, it does come down to Angle himself. If something happens to him while wrestling in TNA (and anyone looking at the facts rationally would agree there is a better chance of him getting seriously hurt or worse at this point then there is of him revitalizing his career) it falls on his own shoulders first and foremost. Angle is completely delusional and obsessive at this point as shown by the "thanks to TNA for saving my life" quote from the press release.

I'd also like to point out that Kurt probably won't wrestle a match in TNA for several weeks, if not months, giving him plenty of time to get healthier, if he even needs to at this point.

Hahaha.

Angle's body is fucked for life, and he's a drug addict. A few weeks wil be fine!

Guest Princess Leena

Besides, WWE already tried giving him breaks from matches. Multiple times. Kurt's not going to magically get better. And he's hardly a spring chicken, either. He turns 38 later this year.

WWE has never had the morale high ground when it comes to Kurt Angle. You're giving Vince McMahon entirely too much credit if you think the move with Kurt Angle was anything but a preventitive measure to cover his own ass if something happened to Angle under his watch.

Exactly - and under the wellness policy, sooner or later, he would have had to have been released anyway.

And as its been said already, working 2-3 dates a MONTH for TNA versus working upwards of 20 plus dates a month for WWE is HUGE in terms of the "Angle is broken down and on a death watch" argument. Angle will have PLENTY of time to rest up in between this new schedule and rehab himself to a much better condition than before.

Everyone who is getting on TNA's ass about picking him up because of the shit with WWE and him needs to really take a look at this from the whole part. Angle may be broken down right now, but they are going to put him on a very light schedule and even if he works a stiff style in his big ppv matches, the sum of all parts will be much more conducive here to prevent a workhorse attitude just because he CANT work over 2-3 dates a month, unless he wanted to do indys which makes no sense since he's very well off financially. For all we know, TNA may not even allow him to work any indy dates to help prevent him deteriorating himself.

Still, most fans don't know the whole story on why Angle was released. I think ECW originally had the idea with Angle to just let him squash some jobbers and get as healthy as possible, but then they panicked and put him in physically demanding matches with RVD.

I've thought for a long while that TNA could get on the map if they signed someone that was truly a big star. Signing Sting didn't mean a whole lot because Sting has been out of his prime (there's that word again) for about 10 years. Signing Christian didn't stir huge interest because he was never a serious contender in WWE. But signing a former world champion who headlined WM THIS year? That's a big signing. I can see why TNA did it, looking optimistically that they can take steps to see that Angle doesn't kill himself in the ring.

Major coup for TNA, however in my opinion this only confirms even more what TNA & The WWE dont want you to know.

TNA & WWE are NOT competing, they are working together.

That my friends is true, it's damn true.

Keep dreaming, thats not happening here. I could go on to numerous reasons why WWE is not working with TNA, but I wont bother - Vince isnt interested in helping out a Jeff Jarrett fused company, a company which Jerry Jarrett really isnt a part of anymore (which I would assume is the only even speculative reason why someone would think TNA and WWE are in bed together). WWE let Kurt go completely because they didnt care where he went - they knew they were going to have to let him go sooner or later. It was just a matter of time. They had to wipe their hands from him to prevent another PR disaster against this wellness policy.

I can see why TNA did it, looking optimistically that they can take steps to see that Angle doesn't kill himself in the ring.

In TNA, Angle will wrestle 3 times a month, tops. Figure the PPV and a couple of TV tapings. He doesn't need to make money from the indies, and this also saves him from traveling overseas. Since he is obsessed with working, this was his best choice.

What do you MMA fans think about this? Are you disappointed that Kurt wont be going that route?

Not really. The UFC and MMA as a whole had little to gain from bringing a broken down former pro-wrestler in for a fight or two for a small, short term boost in buys and/or ratings.

From a competition stand-point, it may have been morbidly entertaining to see a severely hurt Angle bear-crawling across the cage looking for a leg as his head got punched in, but it wouldn't serve the interest of fans looking for competitive fights or an org that's trying to sell itself as being on the up-and-up and having the world's best fighters (though, they weren't above using Sean Gannon).

People are saying "Kurt Angle is a drug addict." How the hell do you actually know that? Is that something Meltzer has reported on a consistent basis, or do you have some solid facts to back that up?

Let's knock off the hyperbole already. Kurt Angle is a grown man who can make his own decisions. If something bad happens to him down the line, it will be his own fault, not TNA's or even WWE's.

This is a smart business move for TNA in the short term. However, in the long term, when Kurt is in a wheelchair or dead, the blame will now be absolved from WWE and will land on the shoulders of TNA. I don't think that the long term situation is too far away. That's all that's going to come out of this.

That's also why I will not be tuning in to Impact.

I don't know.

It seems like Angle is crazy...but not just in the "he's crazy for wrestling again" way...but in a "maybe working 3 shots a month aren't the worst thing for him...because if he doesn't have his wrestling release he may do something REALLY REALLY crazy."

He walked away from his no compete clause and a bunch of free money to feed his wrestling addiction.

It's easy to say that wrestling again is the worst thing for him...but is it really? A man as driven as he is...knowing that he wasn't even willing to sit out his 90 days...what good do you think comes from him NOT working? Dude might hurt himself worse.

TNA will have to shoulder a bit of the blame/whatever for what happens to Angle in the future....but most of it is still on Angle.

And none of it is on me. So if the man wants to put himself in a wheelchair...that's his choice.

And if the man wants to work with Joe and Styles on the way to that end...then I'll watch.

With a clear conscience.

Guest nikowwf

our enjoyment as fans > health of wrestlers. if angle dies, so what? we'll have other people to watch. him signing to TNA was much better than him possibly sitting out 90 days and getting better - cause then TNA might not have got him! GASP HORROR!!! of course hes not really THAT hurt or have drug problems. im sure dave meltzer exaggerated. wwe let one of their most important talents go because...he was stale ! they were pushing him too hard! FUCK VINCE!

sigh...

He had to choose to walk away from the no compete.

Everything isn't black and white.

Yes, he has problems...but it sure seems like having wrestling taken away wasn't helping them.

He just burned a bridge with the biggest wrestling company in the world to work for a company that has never made a penny.

Any comment about his health is relevant...but so is his mental state. This radical decision MADE BY ANGLE MIND YOU...shows just how far gone he is mentally. Yes by all means, sitting at home was leading him to a path of right.

Who's to say Angle wouldn't have explored MMA had he not gone to TNA?

Don't expect me to feel bad for a guy who's making his own choices.

Your reply was juvenile, out of place (sarcastically replying to things that I didn't post) How does my enjoyment have ANYTHING to do with his health?

HE CHOSE.

HE CHOSE.

HE CHOSE.

That has nothing to do with me. Or my watching. Or anyone else for that matter.

This is a smart business move for TNA in the short term. However, in the long term, when Kurt is in a wheelchair or dead, the blame will now be absolved from WWE and will land on the shoulders of TNA. I don't think that the long term situation is too far away. That's all that's going to come out of this.

That's also why I will not be tuning in to Impact.

I don't think that the WWE will be without blame if/when something tragic happened to Angle. Even if this something happened to him in a TNA ring, the fact that most of the damage done to his body & psyche was done in a WWE one wouldn't be ignored.

Just because they washed their hands of him now - once the damage has been done - doesn't mean that they wouldn't be accountable if he ends up in a wheelchair.

I've said this many times that no matter where Kurt Angle ended up at, be it TNA, ROH, NOAH or MMA...the blame will still be directed towards Vince McMahon's empire.

Is it fully justified? Not quite, as it's obvious that it wasn't just the WWE that pushed Angle into this stage. Angle, himself is largely to blame.

While WWE covered themselves by releasing him and having proof of previous suspensions and breaks, the media's proverbial finger will still point at WWE.