TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

OAO "Holy shit, Kurt Angle is in TNA now" thread...

Everyone that WWE has ever misused in the last few years could come back to bite them in the ass.

Sounds a hell of a lot like WWF/WCW eh?

The more things change...

Except in the entire history of the promotion TNA has never pushed anyone in a money drawing program. They've never had a money drawing program, ever. To compare this to WCW and the war is nuts. TNA has shown every indication of being worse than WWE, and has shown no signs of building or impending success.

this makes kurt look more desperate & bush league than it does to hurt the wwe. he got fired. fired for a reason. if he was that valuable to the competition, he wouldn't have been fired. its not like he left as a free agent. kurt has tainted his reputation by coming here. plus vince will make him pay if he doesn't die first.

WWE made a mistake when they said on air it was mutual. If anything, they fucked up.

Mainly because they didn't think Angle would do this. No one thought he'd goto TNA.

I doubt any marks will know what the real deal is either. All they know, is Kurt bailed on WWE, and has suddenly shown up at the competition. I think ratings should go waaay up.

the hard part will be for TNA to actually book RIGHT and keep those ratings up. They haven't been too good at that thus far.

TNA/WWE is the closest that we'll get to WWF/WCW anytime soon, so it's the only thing we have to compare it to. I doubt WWE is going to stand over on the side and not respond to this in one way or another, have it be a new program, pushing someone new, or something directly at TNA. I can just imagine what Vince McMahon and everyone else in WWE is saying about this internally right now.

I see the following:

Jeff Jarrett left the WWF in October of 1999, never to return.

Kurt Angle's hype videos began in October of 1999, with his debut in Nov. 99.

So being that the world revolves around ol' Double J in TNA, we get:

"I am the best wrestler in the world, Jeff. And you're the greatest world heavyweight champion. The fans have wanted to see this for SEVEN FREAKIN' YEARS! You ran away from me seven years ago!"

____

"I can just imagine what...everyone else in WWE is saying about this internally right now."

I got a couple calls from 2 WWE non-wrestlers/employees immediately after. They thought it was really cool. WWE keeps up on TNA.

I do think this could have a snowball effect...We've now had two high profile WWE guys going to TNA, making money and having way less work. Not to mention that TNA's more willing to give people shots. Only problem is Jeff's NEVER leaving the main event scene, which is going to become more glaring as more and more high profile names show up, as TNA makes their own stars.

Because WWE really misused Kurt.

Even though he was a huge star in WWE, they sorta did since they've always had him be a transitional title holder, when he really should have been someone that they built their company around. Like they're doing with Cena now.

I can't really see the good in any of this really... should stay away from wrestling for a while. This whole lighter schedule thing isn't really going to be that helpful to him, since it's Kurt FUCKING Angle, and he'll want to go balls to walls every freaking match in TNA.

TNA going to this new time is also kind of shitty in a way. They lose the TUF lead-in, they're against all five networks, and they're in the middle of the Grey's / CSI war. If they get above 1.2, I'll be stunned, and that still doesn't help their PPV buyrates.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

They won't be going to prime time for another 2 months. They should build up to Angle's first "match" for the next month, and have him squash somebody at Bound For Glory II, like Sharkboy or whoever. Then start his first real feud on the Impact after Bound For Glory II, but not someone like Joe or Jarrett, more like Daniels or Homicide, and have his first competitive match at the Genesis PPV on November 12th. That gives Angle another 2 months to heal before he has to wrestle a real, long match. Obviously, he shouldn't wrestle at all during the next two months on Impact, and save his "Impact debut" for the 2-hour Impact special on November 16th, which is the first Impact after the Genesis PPV.

If possible, they should keep him undefeated until Slammiversary 2007, and have Angle .VS. Samoa Joe at that PPV.

I remember Meltzer said Edge was seriously thinking about quitting WWE in early-2005 and going to TNA when his no-compete ran out. WWE had to tell him straight up that he'd eventually win the WWE Title for him to stay.

But shit, now it makes you have to go back and think how different it would be had Matt Hardy, Mick Foley, and Chris Benoit signed with TNA instead of crawling back to WWE land. Mick Foley would have killed himself to put Samoa Joe over as the hottest thing in wrestling (and do a much better job than Jeff Jarrett), and The Hardys could have had their long-awaited reunion there. Perhaps they could reprise some of those great brawls with The Dudl---err, Team 3D.

And you have to think that Chris Jericho is keeping his eye on TNA now.

"Thank you TNA for saving my career, my life and my desire to do what I love.”

I don't know why, but this kinda creeps me out. Thank you TNA for saving my life? Hopefully that quote won't be used to define irony later on down the road.

But shit, now it makes you have to go back and think how different it would be had Matt Hardy, Mick Foley, and Chris Benoit signed with TNA instead of crawling back to WWE land. Mick Foley would have killed himself to put Samoa Joe over as the hottest thing in wrestling (and do a much better job than Jeff Jarrett), and The Hardys could have had their long-awaited reunion there. Perhaps they could reprise some of those great brawls with The Dudl---err, Team 3D.

And again, those three got money from WWE that they would never get from TNA. For a fact, Foley and Benoit were bowled over by what the WWE had offered to sign them. Until TNA can throw money around (which would entail the task of making a profit first), they're still not a option to most WWE workers who may want out.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
TNA STARS COMMENT ON THE SIGNING OF KURT ANGLE

ORLANDO, Fla. - The backstage buzz before, during and after No Surrender was electric, to put it mildly. Wrestlers were asking about the major surprise. Announcers were asking. Even the referees. Not to mention the TNA front-office personnel who made the trek here from TNA's corporate headquarters in Nashville, Tenn. No one knew for sure what, (or who, as it turned out) the announcement would be, but everyone certainly had a guess, or two, or 10, or 20.

TNA Wrestling President Dixie Carter last week promised a major announcement at the end of the pay-per-view, held September 22nd at Universal Studios...and boy did she deliver, truly shocking the wrestling industry, from Stamford to Seattle and all points in between.

Few moments in pro wrestling history have had the build-up and anticipation as Sunday's announcement. I was there in Daytona Beach, Fla., in 1996, when Hulk Hogan ultimately was the third member of the nWo and turned his back on WCW and the fans. Well, Kurt Angle joining TNA is bigger.

I don't remember seeing the backstage area for almost any wrestling event so filled and yet, at the same time, so silent as when the Angle announcement was made.

The wrestlers, you see, did not know in advance. Sure, they all wanted to know, and everyone was asking everyone and anyone who they thought might know. But ultimately, when no one truly knew, it was a case of watch-like-the-rest-of-the-world.

The TNA roster was thrilled with the Angle announcement, without a doubt.

HOMICIDE

"That's money."

BOBBY ROODE

"It's huge for the company and the business. One word: huge."

KONNAN

"Kurt Angle...cream of the crop."

DAVID YOUNG

"Get ready, because here we go. Now the ride really starts."

CHRISTIAN CAGE

"He's probably trying to steal my thunder too, just like Sting. Kurt Angle is an average wrestler. Christian Cage is still the biggest star at TNA."

JIM CORNETTE

"Fantastic acquisition of a fantastic talent. He will take TNA to the next level."

DON WEST

"Never in a million years did I think that would happen."

SHANE DOUGLAS

"It's always great to have a world-class athlete on the roster. Kurt Angle, a Pittsburgh native, is a tremendous addition to the TNA Wrestling roster."

WILDCAT CHRIS HARRIS

"It's an incredible privilege to be part of this company."

ERIC YOUNG

"Frightening and exciting at the same time...is that possible?"

SIMON DIAMOND

"Reggie Jackson to the New York Yankees. Mark McGwire to the St. Louis Cardinals. Shaquille O'Neal to the Orlando Magic. Kurt Angle to TNA is bigger than all of them."

ANDREW THOMAS

"The fan in me is thrilled."

AJ STYLES

"Kurt Angle is one of the most entertaining wrestlers in wrestling history."

FRANKIE KAZARIAN

"What an incredible way to end an incredible show."

SENSHI

"The game just got a lot more real."

JEREMY BORASH

"Holy @#$%!!!"

CHRISTIAN CAGE

“He’s probably trying to steal my thunder too, just like Sting. Kurt Angle is an average wrestler. Christian Cage is still the biggest star at TNA.”

That is just awesome.

ERIC YOUNG

“Frightening and exciting at the same time … is that possible?”

I think he speaks for most of us.

ANDREW THOMAS

“The fan in me is thrilled.”

Ditto.

JEREMY BORASH

“Holy @#$%!!!”

And there we have it.

Would it shock any of you if they had Kurt Angle be the ref for the JJ/Sting match at Bound For Glory?

I'd be willing to bet that now that Kurt Angle is on board in TNA, a few other WWE guys just might follow over the next year or so.

If in a year Kurt's decision turns out to be a good one, his jump will be the catalyst for others leaving WWE and TNA actually competing. I really believe that. He is so respected in the (non ECW) lockerroom that this could turn out to be real big.

this makes kurt look more desperate & bush league than it does to hurt the wwe. he got fired. fired for a reason. if he was that valuable to the competition, he wouldn't have been fired. its not like he left as a free agent. kurt has tainted his reputation by coming here. plus vince will make him pay if he doesn't die first.

I'm sure most WWE fans don't know what the real deal is with Kurt. All they know is that they "mutually came to an agreement" and that's it. Unfortunatly, WWE's respectful treatement of Kurt's departure on TV could bite them on the ass.

Imagine being not being smart and hearing that Kurt and WWE decided to part ways. I'm sure they didn't have a clue as to why. Then imagine coming upon TNA and seeing him there. They are going wonder why Kurt decided to leave WWE for a different company. I think Kurt hit the "Eddie Guerrero/Steve Austin Hate Wall" in the WWE last year. Face or heel, WWE fans loved him no matter what. WWE can't just ignore such a big name leaving and working for someone else.

WWE made a mistake when they said on air it was mutual. If anything, they fucked up.

Mainly because they didn't think Angle would do this. No one thought he'd goto TNA.

I doubt any marks will know what the real deal is either. All they know, is Kurt bailed on WWE, and has suddenly shown up at the competition. I think ratings should go waaay up.

the hard part will be for TNA to actually book RIGHT and keep those ratings up. They haven't been too good at that thus far.

The fact that WWE didn't "fire" Kurt guarantees that Vince will fire back somehow. Either by revealing the real reason for Kurt's dismissal or by doing something to hurt the company as a whole. You better believe that TNA will push the fact that Kurt specifically wanted to come to TNA (as they should, he left $500000 behind). If Kurt draws new viewers to TNA WWE will need some sort of answer if they don't want to look bad. Whether they acknowledge "a rival promotion" or not will be interesting.

Anyone who's saying "shame on TNA".. What do you expect them to do?

The same thing the WWE did, put the man's life over making a few dollars.

From a cold business point of view, you can see what they brought him in but....when you're looking scummy next to the WWE, you may have a problem.

On the bright side, JJ/Angle should be a great program.

Have to laugh at the mental image of Vince's face when heard about this though, bet he went fucking nuts.

If, and it's a worryingly big if, Kurt stays healthy and this kickstarts genuine competition between the two feds that in-turn results in some quality wrestling television, then great.

Uhm, wow.

This is great news for TNA, until Angle steps in the ring and starts eroding his neck again. And the trouble is, there's no way Angle will be content to sit out for a month or two without wrestling or at the very least getting in a physical angle.

I don't know what to think really. I don't think it's right and I don't think it's classy, but everyone's going to watch regardless. Desperate times call for desperate measures and this is a desperate measure if ever there was one.

Then again, if we're going to hell, might as well enjoy the ride.

It seems like the "lighter schedule and better pay" thing is being lost on Angle. I mean, everyone uses that as Sting's scapegoat and when everyone was thinking Jericho was gonna jump, they were using that as well. I mean, I know the guy is a huge risk healthwise, but if you were running a fed that was trying to compete with the WWE, would you say NO to Kurt FUCKING Angle?

People expect for Kurt to be loyal? WTF

WWE is the same company that will fire you because they have nothing "creatively" for you to do. WWE even change the rules to their new policy just to keep their tv shows from suffering. Don't get me started on the Eddie angle.

People true colors is showing all over the net and it's mostly hardcore WWE fans who realize that this move can really put TNA on that next level.

Would it shock any of you if they had Kurt Angle be the ref for the JJ/Sting match at Bound For Glory?

That's exactly how I'd book it. Angle on Impact in a couple weeks to cut a promo, refs the match at BFG, and wrestles for the first time on the primetime debut show

I love how everyone here seems to be acqainted with Kurt Angle's doctor.

This is insanely huge for TNA, and I was honestly shocked when I heard about this, this morning after getting up. I almost spit coffee at my monitor. This is the kind of signing that will make more stars look at TNA, and brings HUGE credibility to the promotion, even more than Sting or Christian ever could.

I'd also like to point out that Kurt probably won't wrestle a match in TNA for several weeks, if not months, giving him plenty of time to get healthier, if he even needs to at this point.