TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

ALDS: Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees

Kerry Wood? You sure about that?

Good post overall, Roy. I really think A-Rod's going to have to be moved at some point because all this media and fan scrutiny is just going to get worse and worse until he goes on an Ortiz-like run in the potseason, getting game winning hits left and right.

Randy Johnson is a shell of his former self; he in no way should be considered an ace. Mussina seems to have gotten it together, but he's not getting any younger either. They need a big injection of youth in that pitching staff; Wang is a good start.

Cashman should stay; as you said, he managed to pull a couple big deals out of his ass without giving up much. Torre, on the other hand, probably needs to go. That team doesn't seem to have any chemistry and look like a bunch of cranky bastards in the dugout; they don't look like they have fun playing the game and it doesn't seem much fun to watch them play either (though this is probably a result of the huge NY media pressure and Steinbrenner's "Act professional, dammit!" way)

btw, in case you couldn't tell, I was posting past quotes from some Yankee fan after the 2004 ALCS. Those aren't my thoughts.

Acquiring Kerry Wood only makes sense in the event that Carl Pavano gets in another car accident and dies, thus opening the roster spot for the guy making millions who never actually plays.

btw, in case you couldn't tell, I was posting past quotes from some Yankee fan after the 2004 ALCS. Those aren't my thoughts.

Alf's thoughts are only slightly more coherent

Kerry Wood? You sure about that?

If we could sign him to a good deal (lowish downside and incentives that tie into his health/performance), sure, he's worth a shot, either as a starter or a reliever. Maybe he gets healthy, maybe he doesn't, I'd be willing to roll the dice on someone as talented as him. The only problem is there's probably a team or two out there willing to look past the injuries and overpay for him, and in that case I wouldn't want him.

Guest Smues

I think the air-raid sirens are going to be going off in New York. Steinbrenner is about to nuke his team to bits and start over. It'll be like in Animal House..."TORRE...GONE! CASHMAN...GONE! K/E/A-ROD...GONE!"

Where's that C-pac quote when we need it?

I WANT TORRE FIRED, CASHMAN FIRED, KEVIN BROWN AND VASQUEZ HAVE GOT TO GO. THEY ARE BOTH GUTLESS PUSSIES. I WILL BE SMILING WHEN THAT STUPID RETARD IN TORRE FINALLY GETS FIRED. FUCK ALL OF YOU.

There it is. So great. That needs to get quoted more often.

Why is this such an upset? The Tigers had a better record for most of the season until a bit of a late season swoon. They also had a much better pitching staff for the season.

You know, looking at this now doesn't Oakland have home field the rest of the postseason? I think the A's get home field over Detroit due to being a division winner (Tigers are the wildcard) and then the AL has home field in the World Series.

The Yanks dominated the Tigers during the season. The two wins the Tigers had came off relievers not named Mariano Rivera. Speaking of Mo, did he even pitch in this series? When's the last time he didn't pitch in a postseason series?

As for Wood, he's already stated he's going to give relief work a shot, so I wouldn't sign him in hopes of him starting. Or pitching.

Maddux has looked very hittable this year and stands to decline further going forward - I don't think you'd want to bring him to the DH league in the same division where the Red Sox and Blue Jays lurk.

maybe not, but who else is out there? I'd have more confidence in 40-41 yr old Maddux than almost any other FA righty on the market.

OMG WFAN is HILARIOUS TONIGHT!

It's all drunk Mets fans calling in. Tony Paige is cutting off everyone like 30 seconds in.

One guy:

Tony: "How ya doin?"

Guy: "I'M DOING FUCKING GREAT!"

Tony: "Okkkkkkaay. Curb your enthusiasm tonight people. Curb your enthusiasm........let's go to a break"

:lol:

there are times I wish I had access to New York radio stations. This is one of those times. I would love to hear someome scream "I'M DOING FUCKING GREAT!" right over the waves.

It's streamed on WFAN.com

I'm SHOCKED that someone got that out there on the air, because I know it's on a 5 or 10 second delay. They actually did brief cut outs of the host stammering after he cut the guy off, so it wouldn't surprise me if the control room had been doing a little drinking too :lol:

According to ESPN, the NY Daily News says that Sweet Lou will be replacing Clueless Joe shortly. Poor A-Rod.

Yeah, Steinbrenner and Pinella aren't just two combustible elements that are going to explode against each other at some point in the season.

And Pinella isn't going to take any of A-Rod's shit. 2007 could be a very entertaining year in New York.

Edited by NYU

So does Georgie have like 3 guys listed under "M" for "Managers", and he just calls whichever one isn't currently employed by the team? He's probably wondering why Billy Martin won't return his calls.

Guest Princess Leena

What shit from A-Rod.

Being the best 3B in the AL.

Yeah, Lou probably would fuck that up, too.

Well, Lou Piniella has managed ARod before, during his time with the Mariners, so you could actually say that the move to bring in Piniella might be a move in "support" of Rodriguez from Steinbrenner.

Guest Princess Leena

The only positive support Alexander could receive is being shipped out to the West Coast where us more civilized and better people reside.

What shit from A-Rod.

Being the best 3B in the AL.

Yeah, Lou probably would fuck that up, too.

"Lou, why do they hate me, huh? Is it because I'm biracial? Because I make so much money? It's because I'm good looking, isn't it?"

"No kid, it's because you won't stop whining and just hit the fucking ball"

Like I said, this has potential.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that the Yankees have a problem.

They won 97 games this year. They haven't missed the Playoffs since 1993. The last five teams that won World Championships didn't make the playoffs this season. The simple fact is that you can not guarantee postseason success unless you make your team so far above the competition that it defies logic. A team that has a 75% chance to win any given series still isn't better than a 50/50 shot to win the whole thing.

What it comes down to is that you CAN'T buy a team. Superstars in our generation are not that much better than the average player. You gain a little extra in the margins, but teams with many superstars tend to have worse players outside of the starting slots. So the Yankees' opponents have better rotations, better bullpens, and better benches. Having that edge, it is only a matter of solving the starting lineup. And all of those guys, with the exception of Cano, are worse now than when the Yankees acquired them.