TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 10/3 - 10/8

I think Florida may have made a big enough statement today to move up to #2. USC certainly didn't do anything to gain some votes.

Wisconsin's freshman PJ Harris ran for 249 yards against Northwestern today. In six games he has rushed for at least 100 yards in all but the Michigan game (54, he also had 64 receiving yards) for a total of 847. He has 10 touchdowns. Good stuff.

Guest Princess Leena

The score looks good for Florida, but they benefitted from a 10 minute period of gaffs from LSU in the middle of the game.

USC is going to remain #2 in all the silly polls, however.

Ainge and Co. score 51 against a team only giving up six points a game AT their place.

Boy what I wouldn't give to be able to get a redo of that fourth quarter against Florida with the ten point lead WITH Arian Foster to toat the rock.

We wouldn't be 5-1, i'll tell you that.

Guest Princess Leena

Yep, and put you up against that Cal team now and you'd be back to 5-1. :P

So what's up with North Texas and FIU? Just glancing at the scores and they're in their SIXTH overtime? Looks pretty ugly too, as only 12 points have been scored in all of the OT's, but then again it's expected with two of the worst teams in the nation butting heads.

Guest Vitamin X

I think after today, you've got to admit that the Pac-10 is starting to look more and more like a tough conference than it used to. I was shocked that Cal played so well against a good Oregon team, and UCLA is pretty underrated thus far, but we'll see how good the Bruins are in the next two weeks against Oregon and Notre Dame. But even then, you've got USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Cal all being at least pretty decent teams in the conference.

Now if they could only mercy kill Stanford.

Guest Princess Leena
I'm waiting for the admission of sarcasm. you've GOT to be kidding me.

No.

Have you seen Cal's offense lately. They have scary speed. Not that it would be a guaranteed win on either side, but Cal is playing way, way better than they were in Week 1.

I would just like to say that I can't believe Wake scored on the dreaded Quarterback Throwback play. I could have sworn that play only worked for TDs in the last minute of game time in mediocre football movies.

So what's up with North Texas and FIU? Just glancing at the scores and they're in their SIXTH overtime? Looks pretty ugly too, as only 12 points have been scored in all of the OT's, but then again it's expected with two of the worst teams in the nation butting heads.

It ended up going seven "overtimes" with North Texas winning 25-22. Can't find a complete play-by-play of the game but both teams failed to score in the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 6th "overtimes" with both kickers missing four field goals. Just brutal.

My new Top 25.

The over rating of Texas continues!

I think after today, you've got to admit that the Pac-10 is starting to look more and more like a tough conference than it used to. I was shocked that Cal played so well against a good Oregon team, and UCLA is pretty underrated thus far, but we'll see how good the Bruins are in the next two weeks against Oregon and Notre Dame. But even then, you've got USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Cal all being at least pretty decent teams in the conference.

Now if they could only mercy kill Stanford.

Washington State is sitting at 4-2 with losses to Auburn and USC while UW has only lost to USC and Oklahoma. And since UW beat UCLA I would say they are better than UCLA, who is still a good team. USC is still the best team in the conference until someone beats them but Cal is definitely on their level now. Oregon is a notch below both but could rebound and still upset USC the way they've been playing. I'm pretty sure that the Pac 10 will get two teams in the BCS this year at least. The SEC is still the best conference but it can realistically be said that the Pac 10 is second.

Washington State is sitting at 4-2 with losses to Auburn and USC while UW has only lost to USC and Oklahoma. And since UW beat UCLA I would say they are better than UCLA, who is still a good team. USC is still the best team in the conference until someone beats them but Cal is definitely on their level now. Oregon is a notch below both but could rebound and still upset USC the way they've been playing. I'm pretty sure that the Pac 10 will get two teams in the BCS this year at least. The SEC is still the best conference but it can realistically be said that the Pac 10 is second.

Don't forget about the conference that has the two best teams in all the land right now (Ohio State and Michigan). Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa are all pretty decent too.

I like Iowa but I just dont believe in Penn State. They just havent looked very good to me all season. Wisconson is the forgotten Big 10 team it seems like. 5-1 and I hear nothing about them. Looking at their schedule they could win a lot of games and they avoid OSU. I'm not saying the Pac 10 is better, I'm just hoping they get some recognition and it can be argued that they are #2.

Guest Princess Leena

The only real hope for 2 Pac-10 BCS teams is if Cal runs the table, leaving USC as a 1 or 2-loss at large (or maybe Oregon as a 1-loss team, but no bowl will want them).

There's likely only 2 BCS at-large spots available with Notre Dame and Boise St. likely going undefeated.

Don't forget about the conference that has the two best teams in all the land right now (Ohio State and Michigan). Penn State, Wisconsin, and Iowa are all pretty decent too.

Dude... you totally forgot to mention Michigan State!!! :bonk:

Leena, I'm beginning to think the mercy points Tennessee gave Cal when Cal was playing UT's third stringers in the fourth quarter have skewed people's minds as far as remembering just how very, very lopsided that game was. Blowout city.

That's like saying Middle Tennessee State had a bad game against Louisville Friday Night and would beat them in a rematch. It's just not happening, delusional even.

Leena, I'm beginning to think the mercy points Tennessee gave Cal when Cal was playing UT's third stringers in the fourth quarter have skewed people's minds as far as remembering just how very, very lopsided that game was. Blowout city.

That's like saying Middle Tennessee State had a bad game against Louisville Friday Night and would beat them in a rematch. It's just not happening, delusional even.

Cal's definitely better than they were in the first game of the season, but the SEC has rules about losing to teams from pussy conferences.

I'm kidding, of course. Cal would definitely be more competitive, but Tennessee is playing so well right now that it's difficult to bet against them unless they're facing an Ohio State or USC or Texas. I have a feeling we'll see a Cal/Tennessee rematch in one of the BCS bowls if both teams keep up their current level of play.