TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

Friday Night Lights...

I knew the star QB was going to get hurt.

And I might be wrong here because high school football might be different, but if the RB got out of bounds like that, wouldn't the clocked have stopped? The final play shouldn't have been going like that when the chains were finally moved.

Great show though.

I watched this, cause nothing better was on. This wasn't too bad. I thought they might give us a non-cliche ending, with the rookie second-string QB not being able to win the game, but they didn't. The show was interesting throughout though. I understand that it's gotten good critical reviews.

The movie's one of the best in recent years. Completely detached look at failures, daddy issues, and the weird subculture that is Texas high school football. Fantastic music, tone, everything. It's the inverse of your typical sports movie. The pilot did a good job emulating the look, sound, and mood of the movie, but I wonder if it'll be a little more rah-rah since it's hard to sustain that for a whole season of episodes. I'll watch for a while, at least.

As long as they keep pumping the Explosions In The Sky musical score, I'm sticking around. I absolutely LOVE this band, and was thoroughly pleased they decided to keep them around for the TV series, too.

Maybe the NY ratings skewed the numbers. But most people who live outside of NY don't really care about the Yankees, not enough to tank another show's ratings just to watch the Yankees in the playoffs.

Last night's episode was great, especially the scenes with the coach and the QB.

From mediaweek-

Week two of NBC clinker Friday Night Lights lived up to that description, with a mere 4.4/ 7 in the overnights (#4), 6.28 million viewers (#4) and a 2.4/ 7 among adults 18-49 (#3) at 8 p.m. Compared to its already disappointing debut one week earlier (Overnights: 5.3/ 8; Viewers: 7.17 million; A18-49: 2.7/ 8 on Oct. 3), that was a decline of 17 percent in the overnights, 890,000 viewers and 11 percent among adults 18-49.

Yep, so long FNL

Very very disappointing. Probably my favorite among the new shows, and it doesn't look like it's going to last much longer. Here's hoping NBC shows some patience with it and it manages to hang on to an audience.

I've been saying Sunday Night would be ideal, after the NFL season concludes on NBC. I wonder if pushing the football game to a 8:45 start with FNL being used as a lead in from 7-8 could work. Might as well go all out with the football theme.

It's a shame that the best new shows are struggling out the gate and it seems all the networks refuse to give it time. Do they not remember how many classic shows tanked out the gate but got momentum? What's worse is that each network replaces the canceled show with re-runs of the same show. The repeats can't be doing that much better in the ratings anyways

I wish they at least ship the shows that struggle over to USA/Bravo. It wouldn't hurt to pull out another L&O:SVU repeat and placed FNL there if it's struggling so bad on network.

I'm not surprised that ratings are low for FNL as I said in another thread, everyone who would be interested in this show already read the book or saw the movie and don't see the point in following a TV version. All they really did was change the players and city name but kept everything else the same.

Actually, last night CSI did MUCH better then Smith. Weird.

They haven't cancelled Friday Night Lights yet, but I think sending it to Friday is deal. The problem with Sunday is that you ruin the flow of the football by putting Friday Nights Lights in there.

Coach ran for like 9 years, that has to be considered a success.

True, and it did a lot better in the ratings than I thought it did, upon checking. It was in the top 20 for five straight seasons.

Two additional scripts have been ordered for FNL

How many episodes does that make total? They had to have some shot and in the can already. It's good that NBC's showing at least a little patience with the show. I only hope ratings pick up before the patience wears out.

I don't know how many they've shot, but I assume they got a 13 episode order. So they've probably shot about 8-10 episodes and when they're done with the 13th, they're contracted for two more scripts.

Regarding sport show success, Coach is a stretch because it was really about his personal life. Football was probably 1/5th of that show but it still worked and was appealing but not because of the football elements.

One Tree Hill, used basketball as a key part of the show in its first season but after that dropped it to become a routine teen drama show that occasional remembers to include basketball.

You have shows like Arliss (which was a horrible show but it revolved around sports and lasted a rather long time) and that's about it because aside from short lived shows like White Shadow, Sports Night(which is also a stretch), I don't remember anyothers to actually last more then one season on tv.

I'm not counting teen nbc shows like Hang Time.

There's success in shows about former coaches, players in new surroundings but never the actual sport itself