TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

Friday Night Lights...

I missed all but the last 10 minutes. What happened with this episode.

They lost the game due to Coach's questionable playcalls, the town was upset. Players starting bitching, Lyla continues to be denial about the situation. Lyla's father, recruited a major talent that was moved because of Katrina and Coach originally refused to do this but after his wife told him that Matt was complaining, he felt that the new guy was the way to go. Meanwhile, Riggins got all emo and told his chick to leave for good. After the "dramatic" scene with the players running in the rain, Riggins was ordered to walk home after skipping. Jason lashed out at Lyla for being supportive and Lyla found Riggins walking home and after an "emotional" breakdown from both, they kissed.

Tonight's episode wasn't as great as the first two but it looks from the previews that the show is really going to get rolling now but I'm worried about how cliche the racial stuff will be played out.

How much longer do we have to wait for Coach's daughter and Matt to finally get together?

The six-script order for "Lights," combined with network's pickup of three more scripts last week, brings the order for the drama to nine scripts, matching the number of episodes the series needs for a full-season order.

In its three airings, the small-town football drama has struggled in the Tuesday 8-9 p.m. hour, most recently posting 6.6 million viewers.

To boost the show's profile, the network will air an original episode October 30 in the Monday 10 p.m. period, after NBC's breakout drama hit "Heroes." The episode of "Lights," which will repeat in the series' original Tuesday 8 p.m. slot the next night, will replace a repeat of soft freshman drama "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip," which airs in the Monday 10-11 p.m. hour. (Hollywood Reporter)

Last night's episode was my favourite of the three

I actually didn't like it as much as episode 2. However, I'm real afraid that they're going to go to the race card with the new QB. He and Smash will end up banding together to fight the oppresive whiteygarchy (epitomized by the drunk violent redneck Riggins).

Hopefully, they'll just have Saracen freaking out for a week or two, then calm down when he realizes that he's the man. Make the new kid a WR or a safety or something. Berg took out a lot of the book's racial overtones for the movie, I doubt he'd go overboard on the TV show.

What I do like about the show is that it still plays closely to the book (with name changes of course) but it's not like they are using racial tension for the sake of ratings, that's how it went down.

The reason the movie eliminated the racial elements was because it was a 2 hour movie. So much happened that it was impossible to utilize the racial tension but a TV has ample space to cover that aspect.

I hope that FNL does well on Monday nights, which I think it should with weaker competition.

Putting it at 10 is a horrible move- this should be touted as a family show, not a 10:00 show.

I just loved seeing what the town was like after a loss, Coach slowly going insane, Jason Street finally telling Lyla off and then Smash rallying the team together with CLEAR EYES FULL HEARTS CAN'T LOSE.

Chandler isn't giving up the 'Friday Night' game

By William Keck, USA TODAY

LOS ANGELES — In the pilot episode of NBC's Friday Night Lights, a retired coach of a winning high school football team warns his young replacement: "With expectations like this, the only place you can go is down. That's the problem with being this good."

It is a line of dialogue that has proved haunting to the show's star, Kyle Chandler, who plays that inexperienced coach.

After celebrating across-the-board positive reviews, Chandler has had to fight to keep up his spirits in the face of disappointing ratings. Although the show's numbers were up last week — 6.6 million viewers from 5.9 million the week before — it still got brutally tackled by CBS' NCIS (15.9 million) and ABC's Dancing With the Stars (21.3 million). Lights' fourth episode (of nine filmed so far) airs tonight (8 ET/PT).

Chandler, using a football metaphor, is hopeful. "I know we got a damn good team and can make it through the season," he says in a native Georgian drawl that has become more pronounced while shooting Lights in Austin. "We're slowly moving the ball down the field. That's why I'll do anything to keep this show on the air."

Chandler, over breakfast after spending a rare night with his L.A.-based family, says that if ratings rise enough, he'll relocate wife Katherine and daughters Sydney, 10, and Sawyer, 5, to a house in Austin, where he now shares an apartment with some exotic fish.

This morning, with his scruffy hair, unshaven face and solid 6-foot-1 frame, there is no trace of the roly-poly 5-foot-5, 125-pound kid who once played football at George Walton Academy in Monroe, Ga. But he still displays a hint of the boyish all-American actor audiences first came to know on the short-lived, early '90s war dramas Tour of Duty and Homefront. Then, from 1996 to 2000, he enjoyed a run as the star of Early Edition, playing a do-gooder who righted wrongs after an orange cat delivered him an advance copy of the newspaper. Last season, he took an Emmy-nominated guest turn on Grey's Anatomy as an ill-fated explosives expert.

His experiences are paying off. At 41, he is now comfortable playing the mature role of a team leader, both on and off screen.

Last week, he gathered together his cast of mostly unknown young men at co-star Connie Britton's apartment for a much-needed script read-through/pep talk. But like a real coach, Chandler was proud when young Zach Gilford, who plays the show's struggling quarterback, spoke up first. Recalls Chandler, "He said, 'It doesn't matter what we're up against, we just do what we do and not worry about what we can't control.' "

What they can't control is Dancing With the Stars, the reality competition powerhouse that inspires Chandler to connect to a line of dialogue his character spoke in last week's episode: "We oughta be beating these bums by 40 points!"

He believes the 8 o'clock hour — when dinner is being served — is more suited to an easy-to-digest show like Dancing, as opposed to Lights, a drama focusing on a financially strapped community, a quadriplegic athlete, racism and a grandmother with dementia. A switch to 9 p.m., he says, might be "more appropriate."

NBC seemingly agrees.

Next week, Lights will get a special tryout Monday at 10 p.m. (ET/PT) after NBC's biggest new hit, Heroes, in the time slot normally filled by the declining Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. The same Lights episode will air the next day in its regular slot.

Last week, the network announced plans to fill the 8 to 9 p.m. hours entirely with less costly reality and competition shows. If Lights survives beyond November sweeps, it will likely be moved.

NBC Entertainment president Kevin Reilly says: "We plan to stick with Friday Night Lights. I know we're striking a chord with the viewers who have found it."

Says Chandler: "Everyone's rooting for us, and things are changing."

Notice how Heroes ran long so people would stick around?

And seeing as the overnights showed no significant change from the Studio 60 ratings, it looks like they didn't bother to, despite all the hype over the "special airing".

Another great episode. This is the most consistently good network show I've seen in a long time. Not one dud moment yet this season. I'm sad that the Voodoo story is already wrapping up.

Should be really interesting to see what comes of the charges and the possible forfeit of the big win. I also love this and Heroes as the best new shows on TV. Unfortunately the ratings for FNL may dictate it's future.

The show manages to maintain the quality throughout the season and the most recent episode was no exception. At first I thought the Lyla, Jason and Tim thing would get boring but I don't think it will now.

Saracen is slowly slipping from dumbfounded nobody into town big-shot and when he finally makes something happen with Julie it'll be fantastic.

That's a great move, I think. Tuesday night's episode was yet another fantastic show. So much happening here but it stays so well contained without losing control.

Saracen's character remains so awesome especially with the cashier scene with the girl using Smash's moves. I loved the entire Julie/Coach interaction part as well.

I wonder if they'll allude to who the Panther is that wanted the 3-way. It can't be any of the principal characters and I doubt it'll play anything down the line but I'm for at least a subtle mention in passing.

FNL is moving to Wednesdays at 8

Starting immediately? I hope so. I usually watch Jericho but it's on hiatus, and this would be a good chance for me to catch up on this show, since I always miss it on Tuesdays.

That's a good move. Come January it would have faced the juggernaut of American Idol on Tuesdays.

Now if only Heroes would move to Tuesdays. It's on the same time as 24 in January, and I'm in class those nights and can only tape one show.