TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

Controversy Creates Cash - Eric Bischoff

I got this in the mail a couple days ago, and I'm about 1/3 through it, up to the point where Hulk Hogan enters WCW, and I've got to say that up to this point Eric Bischoff has been far more level-headed than I expected him to be. I didn't really know anything about his past, other than where he worked and the basic stuff, so the first part of the book was pretty interesting to me. Here are a couple quotes so far:

"There were times when I would rather slam my own hand in a car door than hang out and have a burger with Hulk Hogan because of the shit he put me through"

"There wasn't much on Camera that convinced me that she [Missy Hyatt] was worth the effort. I have no idea what talent she really had."

"I get a kick out of [Dave] Meltzer's web site. He leads people to believe by logging on to his site, you are going to get information on the headlines that he posts. All he really does is tease the reader with interesting headlines, while failing to deliver any real information. For that you have to buy the "news letter" that he brags "contains more than 35,000 words." The problem is, those 35,000 words are grammatically incorrect , run-on sentences that read like a fifthgrader wrote them. And most of the "news" contained in his publication is second-third-and sometimes fourth-hand information that is so far off the mark, it would be comical if it weren't for the fact that so many people take it as fact."

"It still amazes me that these goofs were able to influence people who would never even give them an interview for a legitimate job in the industry they wrote about."

"There wasn't much on Camera that convinced me that she [Missy Hyatt] was worth the effort. I have no idea what talent she really had."

Her mouth.

No I haven't read it, but if it is what I expect it will be, I generally don't like over exaggerated half truthes that are obviously revised.

I read a review on Meltzer's site, and the guy said the book wasn't even that controversial anyway.

Thats probably because Bischoff most likely slammed Flair and Meltzer stopped caring after reading it, I'm guessing. I can't wait for the 17th, I'm going to try to find the book as soon as i can.

I read a review on Meltzer's site, and the guy said the book wasn't even that controversial anyway.

Thats probably because Bischoff most likely slammed Flair and Meltzer stopped caring after reading it, I'm guessing.

The review on the site was not Meltzer's.

Thats probably because Bischoff most likely slammed Flair and Meltzer stopped caring after reading it, I'm guessing.

The review on the site was not Meltzer's.

Oh....well then....I guess I'll just shut up now. :D

They said on last Thursday's Figure Four Daily that Eric has some harsh words for Meltzer in the book, saying that wrestlingobserver.com has too many plugs for the newsletter (to which Dave replied "that's what it's there for") and that he can't believe that a group of people who never worked in the industry and who couldn't get a job in the real world (I guess referring to wrestling journalists like Meltzer and Keller, and Dave replied to that by stating that he layed out to Dana White all the ideas of how to promote this week's Tito vs Shamrock fight, which got a huge rating, and he's given similar ideas to Eric and Vince, which they have not followed). I guess it's not surprising that Bischoff wouldn't be a fan of Dave given that Eric doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would like anyone who doesn't follow his "It was all Time Warner's fault!" line regarding the death of WCW, but I know Eric was OK with Dave back in 2000 because he went on Observer Live then and he seemed cordial.

Now I know that's a couple of long, possibly confusing run-on sentences. Consider it a tribute to Dave Meltzer.

Guest netslob
They said on last Thursday's Figure Four Daily that Eric has some harsh words for Meltzer in the book, saying that wrestlingobserver.com has too many plugs for the newsletter (to which Dave replied "that's what it's there for") and that he can't believe that a group of people who never worked in the industry and who couldn't get a job in the real world (I guess referring to wrestling journalists like Meltzer and Keller, and Dave replied to that by stating that he layed out to Dana White all the ideas of how to promote this week's Tito vs Shamrock fight, which got a huge rating, and he's given similar ideas to Eric and Vince, which they have not followed). I guess it's not surprising that Bischoff wouldn't be a fan of Dave given that Eric doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would like anyone who doesn't follow his "It was all Time Warner's fault!" line regarding the death of WCW, but I know Eric was OK with Dave back in 2000 because he went on Observer Live then and he seemed cordial.

Now I know that's a couple of long, possibly confusing run-on sentences. Consider it a tribute to Dave Meltzer.

keep in mind McMahon had his editors hovering over Bischoff's shoulder, so to speak, so alot of Biscoff's "feelings" toward Meltzer might actually be McMahon's.

I thumbed through it on my break yesterday (I work at a Borders Bookstore) and was surprised. It's not as deep, nor as controversial as I would want, but it's interesting to read about his dealings with the higher ups and his ideas for things. I was expecting a fluff piece on level with Hogan's book, but this one is pretty well written. I'll definitely read it completely sometime next week.

Oh man, this one is a hell of a lot better than the books on Hogan, Goldberg, Rock, and all of that rubbish. It's not as solid as the books from Foley and Flair, but who knows, I'm not even halfway through it yet. I don't expect it to be like those though, since Bishoff's story is something a bit different.

I think I'm going to check out Regal's book next, finally.

Take this book with a grain of salt though. After all, this is from Bischoff, who is usually full of shit.

Oh man, this one is a hell of a lot better than the books on Hogan, Goldberg, Rock, and all of that rubbish. It's not as solid as the books from Foley and Flair, but who knows, I'm not even halfway through it yet. I don't expect it to be like those though, since Bishoff's story is something a bit different.

I think I'm going to check out Regal's book next, finally.

Everything was better than The Rock's book. That thing was so fucking horrible.

Everything was better than The Rock's book. That thing was so fucking horrible.

I didn't even finish the damn thing. I stopped almost as soon as he started to speak in character, in third person.

Edge's book was actually very well written and a good read...Besides the Foley books, Adam Copeland on Edge is probably the best one out of the WWE Autobiographies...Edge gets big props from me for writing this book..

On Edge is a great read and only below Foley's books because its so short compared to them. If he'd gone into more depth about the business and been further into/at the end of his career it would have been better.

I added a couple more quotes in the main post, this time about Dave Meltzer and others like him. I am halfway through the book now. I enjoyed reading about WCW's trip to North Korea, but then again I love reading about stuff about that f'd up country.

On Edge is a great read and only below Foley's books because its so short compared to them. If he'd gone into more depth about the business and been further into/at the end of his career it would have been better.

Foley had 10+ more years to cover and let's face it, Foley had more stuff happen to him then Edge has. I'd like a follow up from Edge covering the Matt/Lita situation, his push from that, main eventing,having his reign jerked away and his thoughts on his best friend leaving the company.

I'd like to see a book written by Brother Runt (Spike Dudley). I saw something posted on here from his website and it was just really well written. Didn't he teach English? I'll probably get this sometime, I still feel Bischoff has to take most of the blame for WCW, even if things like the Kiss demon and Rap is Crap might not have been his ideas. If they were, blame him more.

Spike would be a good person to write a book, as he is college educated, and he would have great knowledge of ECW history from 96-till it died. I'm curious as to just what the locker room was like, and I'm sure it would be interesting to hear about all of the Paul E. bullshit stories.

Foley had 10+ more years to cover and let's face it, Foley had more stuff happen to him then Edge has. I'd like a follow up from Edge covering the Matt/Lita situation, his push from that, main eventing,having his reign jerked away and his thoughts on his best friend leaving the company.

Ditto. He's had enough actually happen to him now to write a good follow up.

I was under the impression Christian and Edge had a falling out in the aftermath of the whole Matt/Lita/Edge situation.

Guest tsn420

yeauup

Damn shitty bookstores here didn't even put this on the shelves today. Nothing at all between a Borders, a Waldenbooks, and a Barnes and Noble, and nothing but confused looks when I asked for it. Maybe I will just order online.

Guest East.Coast.J
Take this book with a grain of salt though. After all, this is from Bischoff, who is usually full of shit.

Can you please give me some examples of Eric Bischoff being full of shit? Compared to Vince McMahon and that weasel Paul Heyman, Bischoff is a straight shooter and has been in almost any interview I have ever heard with him.

You may not agree with his perspective, but that doesn't make him full of shit.

From WWE.com (Chavo's is my favourite):

Superstars shoot on Eric Bischoff and Controversy Creates Cash...

October 16, 2006

William Regal on Bischoff and Controversy Creates Cash…

“Bischoff was always good to me personally. I worked with him for a long time. He looked after me and took good care of me…”

“If Eric is willing to be honest and talk about his own mistakes, I think it will be a good book. I think he knows a lot of things he did were wrong, so hopefully he will confront it. He had unlimited amounts of money to spend every week, and that helped him buy controversy, which is something people want to read about. I think the book should be very interesting.”

Chavo Guerrero on Bischoff and Controversy Creates Cash…

“Controversy creates an a**hole. That’s what he is. He kissed all the top guys asses in WCW, while all the workhorses, guys like Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, Rey Mysterio and myself were treated like s***. We were the ones busting our asses and having the best matches in WCW while the top guys couldn’t have a good match to save their lives… Basically, what Eric did was steal all the top guys from WWE and make another WWE. The difference was, in WWE, all their top guys could go for 45 minutes and have great matches on every night, but in WCW none of the top guys could go.

On the book…

“Bischoff did a lot of bad things while he was on top. He was on a power trip and I don’t think he has the balls to come clean and admit it in the book.”

King Booker on Bischoff and Controversy Creates Cash…

“I always had a good business relationship with Eric Bischoff. When I was there he always kept me in a great position, and treated and my abilities with respect…Eric’s always been very controversial so I would expect the same from his book.”

ECW World Champion Big Show on Bischoff and Controversy Creates Cash…

“Eric was a brilliant man. I think he did a lot for WCW, and played a big role in making them as successful as they were. He was a smart businessman as well, very creative… I know when I first arrived at WCW I was very young and ignorant to the business. I didn’t understand the concept of how much money was being spent or how much I was going to make. Eric spent a lot of WCW money to compete with WWE. They had a history, and a reputation and we didn’t, but Eric was very bold in letting people know that WCW was second to none. He created a lot of controversy, like when he challenged Vince McMahon to a fist-fight. I’m looking forward to the book, I can’t wait to read it.”

Finlay on Bischoff and Controversy Creates Cash…

“I’m sure there will be a lot of things in this book that make people angry, and a lot that will make people laugh. A lot of the things in this book probably should’ve been left behind and never spoken of again, but that’s Bischoff for you. Every single minute of every day in WCW was controversial. I think the book will be very informative so I can’t wait to read it.”

Cruiserweight Champion Gregory Helms on Bischoff and Controversy Creates Cash…

“I’m definitely interested in reading this book. I’d like to hear about some of Eric’s philosophies, some of the gambles he took, and how he felt about some of the decisions that didn’t go his way.”

Torrie Wilson on Bischoff and Controversy Creates Cash…

I’d definitely like to read this book. I was part of WCW during its downfall so I experienced a lot of it first hand. I’d love to hear more about the stories of Eric and WCW blowing money, some of which was on me, which by the way I enjoyed every minute of"

Guest East.Coast.J

It's hilarious how WWE always tries to goad their talent into knocking Bischoff and they all just put over what a great guy he is for the most part. I especially liked on that ByteThis with Bret Hart where they were doing word association and Grisham leans in smugly and says "Eric Bischoff". And while Todd leans back and awaits the burial. Bret smiles and says "Teddy Bear".

The hell with Chavo man. He was lucky to have a job then and he is lucky to have a job now. Bischoff took a calculated risk in sticking with the old guys, and obviously it didn't work out. No need to still be bitter about it. I love the fact that he is speaking for Eddie Guerrero and saying that he was treated like shit, when Eddie credits Bischoff with helping turn his life around by helping him out when he had his likely-susbtance related automobile accident on New Years Eve in 1998 I think it was.