TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

oAo Smackdown Thread // October 20, 2006

Rey vs Chavo at WM?

I doubt they can keep Chavo from sinking back to the bottom of SD without Rey to pick on every week.

If anything, they should just put the CW title on Hardy and do a program with Matt over the title(since Chavo needs a popular baby to get any heat). It's not as if Chavo could really be taken seriously with the US title anyways but I fear they will do Chavo/Benoit just for the purpose of milking the Eddie cow.

Doing Rey/Chavo again at WM is a waste because the match is completely overkill and even a 6 month lay-off will not help. The best option for Rey, if they want him to be in a semi-high profile match that might get interest from the fans is Shawn (Shawn doesn't have many options as well, aside from working with a younger worker like Nitro but I think WWE would see more with Rey/Shawn)

I think Chavo could hang in the upper midcard, especially in a feud with Chris Benoit over the US Title. Ken Kennedy is still feuding with The Undertaker, so Benoit is without a feud, and it would make certain sense for Benoit to take umbrage with what Chavo did to Mysterio.

Wwe should just dissolve the cruiserweight title and allow Helms to compete with the big boys. Helms, Guerrero, Noble, and eventually London and Kendrick when they split, are all better off feuding with the Finlays, Benoits, Booker T's. If Mysterio can be world champion, fellow CW's who are bigger, should be able to compete with the rest of the roster. I mean if Big Show has to sell for and lose to HBK, why can't HHH sell for and lose to Jamie Noble - the size differential in both cases being similar.

That was really a one match show. The I Quit was actually very good, as they focused on brutality over the goofy Eddie storyline. Great ending too. Quite possibly the only redeeming quality of this feud.

The rest of the show was really blah. I marked for Squire Dave's return, though. Too bad the crowd didn't care one bit about the match, not that I expected much differently. Hopefully they warm up to this team like they did with Finlay. The rest of the show was a bunch of squashy kind of stuff, up to the ME. That was alright, but a predictable and lame finish killed it. The comedy overshadows the fact that Booker's title reign has been worse than Rey's.

Booker has won 3 matches as champ, looking good in none of them. Twice he needed interference (vs. Rey and vs. Batista on SD), and at No Mercy he got the cheap pin after Finlay was taken out by Batista. Oh, I guess he also needed Sharmell to help him beat RVD on Raw Homecoming. Beyond that, he's been DQ'ed in every defense when it's clear his opponent is about to beat him (vs. Batista at Summer Slam and SD this week, vs. UT twice on SD).

Rey jobbed a lot, but he did get a clean win for the title with a finisher and two clean defenses, one of which was on a ppv. He also lost the title in a shady manner.

The I quit match was decent. I was expecting Rey to go over easily, and I'm glad WWE decided to do a total swerve by putting Chavo over, and decisively aswell.

Regal works really well with Taylor(just like with Finlay). I'd love WWE to give them a strong push.

Booker has won 3 matches as champ, looking good in none of them. Twice he needed interference (vs. Rey and vs. Batista on SD), and at No Mercy he got the cheap pin after Finlay was taken out by Batista. Oh, I guess he also needed Sharmell to help him beat RVD on Raw Homecoming. Beyond that, he's been DQ'ed in every defense when it's clear his opponent is about to beat him (vs. Batista at Summer Slam and SD this week, vs. UT twice on SD).

Rey jobbed a lot, but he did get a clean win for the title with a finisher and two clean defenses, one of which was on a ppv. He also lost the title in a shady manner.

What about 80s Ric Flair? He barely won hismatches but he was a fantastic champ.

I'm not saying Booker is a great champion but I don't see how anybody can say he was worse than Rey.

Guest Human Highlight Reel
Booker has won 3 matches as champ, looking good in none of them. Twice he needed interference , and at No Mercy he got the cheap pin after Finlay was taken out by Batista. Oh, I guess he also needed Sharmell to help him beat RVD on Raw Homecoming. Beyond that, he's been DQ'ed in every defense when it's clear his opponent is about to beat him.

He's a heel.

Looking at house show cards, I think Chavo-Benoit is the plan, and that was quite a good way to end the I Quit match without making Rey look too weak. I also have to say that that the chokeslam Helms took was the best I've ever seen.

Booker hardly has been getting his ass kicked in non title matches on a regular basis. The only common opponent he and Rey had is RVD, at least as far as I can recall. Booker has beaten RVD twice (once on ECW, once on Raw Homecoming) while RVD beat the piss out of Rey.

Why have they broken up the King's Court? I was just getting into that whole storyline.

One thing I don't get about SD right now is this: What is their money match on the horizon? Cause I'm not seeing anything here that could draw. Honestly, at this point what could main event WM from SD that could possibly not be a stale matchup?

I think Booker T has been a good champion. He has won when he needed to, cheating or not, as a heel that's almost expected. I've found him highly entertaining in his role and believe he's even stepped up in the ring.

Reguarding the money match - I think Batista vs Lashley is in the cards, probably for WM23. I think we'll see Batista go monster heel sooner rather than later(notice the facial hair), probably tear though the roster, until finally Lashley stands up. The problem with this is that Lashley is TERRIBLE with the mic, and he can't help sell the drama to build up for the WM main event, wwe might lose faith in him and I could see them opting for Batista vs Undertaker in a Title vs Streak match.

Outside of that match, I agree there isn't really a draw match. Of course, personally I'd pay to see Benoit vs Undertaker on PPV. SD! hasa solid midcard, however they can't seem to break anybody through to be seen as legit main eventers. Once Booker T loses the title, I think he'll remain an upper card guy, much like Benoit, probably a gate keeper to the main event scene. I see Finlay much in the same role - seen as a legit title threat, however will be used to both put over new champions and to "make" the up and coming challenger.

Two current wrestlers I'd like to see evevated perminantly to a similar spot would be Chavo Guerrero, who I really think is getting over and is one hot feud away. A hot feud with Benoit right now is exactly what I think he needs to put him over the top. The other wrestler I think could hold down the spot would be Greg Helms, yes the cruiserweight champion. He's been around for awhile, paid his dues and is a very good worker and solid on the mic. I could easily see Helms feuding with a face King Booker down the line(maybe a double switch during the Batista/Booker title match).

I think Smackdown can write themselves a couple of great money matches if the writing continues to be strong.

annnnd Fast Nationals for Friday put Smackdown at a 2.7, putting CW ahead of FOX (again!), with their highest rating on the CW ever.

As far as "money" matches for Smackdown at WM is concerned, I don't think that is much concern right as the draw will be expected from the name brand and the RAW ME program.

Is Batista/Lashley that match? Not to me but some seem to think that Lashley is ready for that spot, which is still questionable in my mind to determine if Lashley is ready to lead that brand as the number #1 babyface. WWE didn't think highly enough of Lashley to have confidence to main event a B show PPV, but to expect him to be a ME presence for Mania is slightly offbase but they do have six months to get the machine rolling.

Batista does need a heel turn, not because his popularity is waning but because he always been more suited in that role anyways except for the Triple H series, which was the best Batista ever looked.

While Smackdown is the strongest show of the three WWE brands, it still lacks a signature star beyond Batista and Mysterio compared to Raw and since ECW still relies on using SD/Raw for its show alongside two other established regulars in TBS and RVD, ECW doesn't look as weak in starpower.

Logically, SD could easily improve someone like Ken Kennedy's standing with a big push but they don't appear to have that initiative just yet. It won't happen but Kennedy getting a decisive victory over Undertaker would greatly propel Kennedy. Unlike Orton, it would seem Kennedy is more reliable.

That being said, I'm more worried WWE will go with Batista/Orton for the SD program. They could also jump the gun and go with Batista/Cena with Edge/HHH going against (which should be the RAW ME feud for WM anyways) and try to load it with big matches to compenstate for the lack of a major name draw aside from John Cena.

I just hope DX vs Edge/Orton doesn't become the usual Buried Alive affair, killing off Edge's WM ME potential.

Aside from their actions earlier this year, WWE tends to want Edge to look strong and that's why he's been so effective as the top overall heel in the entire company. Considering they have held off on doing Edge/HHH in a singles program for so long, I'd have to imagine that Triple H, knowing that he can't turn heel again at the moment and I have to figure that he knows Edge is the money program right now as opposed to Cena, which wouldn't be as hot a program.

Orton seems suited to be the obligatory job boy for this anyways and I think HHH would even take a pin at some point from Edge, knowing he'll get it back at WM.