TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gary Floyd

Rush Limbaugh vs Michael J Fox

Guest Felonies!

Um, he was deliberately under- or overdosing to make a point. Effective, yes, but I'm not sure it's healthy or ethical.

Guest CWMwasmurdered

I didn't see that this time he did it on purpose is what I meant. I took it that he was over medicated because his Parkinson's was fluctuating.

A few years ago Michael J. Fox addressed a congressional hearing about Parkinson's and he admitted to not taking his meds so that he would get his tremors and shakes during the testimony to drive home his point.

So?

Self-inflicted suffering just to help the Democratic Party?

He's done ads for pro-stem cell research Republicans too, FYI.

Czech, it's been repeated a million times that Fox did ads for Arlen Specter as well. This is why dittoheads are kinda retarded.

Anyways... why is this Canuck interfering in our elections? He should go back to his country and encourage his government to cure the sick.

Michael J. Fox may have been born in Canada, but he is also an American citizen.

He is entitled to participate in the American electoral process and has his right to speak guaranteed by the First Amendment.

He is a US citizen, yes. He also has this odd vendetta against the Canadian medical community. Refuses to even acknowledge some of the amazing advances that have been achieved in regards to Parkinson's disease and other neurodegenerative diseases up here, at the Krembil Neuroscience Centre in particular..

Did you people not watch this?

A few years ago Michael J. Fox addressed a congressional hearing about Parkinson's and he admitted to not taking his meds so that he would get his tremors and shakes during the testimony to drive home his point.

Its not that I don't tend to blindly believe everything everyone on the internet says, but I'd like a source on this.

It's in his book.

There is no real way to prescribe the right amount of medicine, because the disease changes so rapidly. One checkup, the doctor may tell you to take 6 5/325's a day, the next he may cut that down to 2. Parkinsons is a disease that changes sometimes on a daily basis... there's a reason why the shows he was on recently work around him so much... you never know when he'll break out with the shakes.

The thing I love about this is that it was such a win-win.

If the wingers don't say anything, the ad is extremely effective and we win votes throughout StL and KC. If they say anything, all they can say is "Well, he's faking!!!" and spark outrage, since it's freakin' Michael J. Fox they're attacking.

I'm glad we could count on Rush Limbaugh to take the bait and make the Republicans look, once again, like jackasses.

I think Czech was the only person in this thread going with Rush's nonsense.

Seeing as Fox as admitted to under or over medicating himself in the past in order to make a point, I really don't see how it was foolish of anyone to assume that he might have done it again for these ads. If he didn't do it on purpose, fine. But no one should act as if, oh, my, what an OUTRAGEOUS accusation to make against Michael J. Fox! Because he has done it before. Which is his right, and more power to him, because I think we should be doing this research. But I don't feel questioning his participation in these ads was really out of line.

I suppose one could nominate that his manner left something to be desired.

But then again, to expect tact out of Rush in a matter such as this is fairly ridiculous.

I think Czech was the only person in this thread going with Rush's nonsense.

Seeing as Fox as admitted to under or over medicating himself in the past in order to make a point, I really don't see how it was foolish of anyone to assume that he might have done it again for these ads. If he didn't do it on purpose, fine. But no one should act as if, oh, my, what an OUTRAGEOUS accusation to make against Michael J. Fox! Because he has done it before. Which is his right, and more power to him, because I think we should be doing this research. But I don't feel questioning his participation in these ads was really out of line.

Rush was accusing Fox of pretending to shake, calling it an "act". That's different than going off medication to show how bad the disease could affect you.

Guest Felonies!

If you were on blood thinners for hypertension, would you go off your medication and risk a heart attack or stroke to prove a point about the price of prescription drugs?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Bad analogy. Stem cell research isn't doing much in the way of high blood pressure that I'm aware of, plus it's more preventable than getting hit with one of the most debilitating and unfair illnesses this side of Lou Gerhig.

What gets lost in the whole debate is this: A lot of people like me aren't against ethical stem cell research. What we're against is the government funding of it. The medical industry has more than enough money to pay its way for its own research.

What gets lost in the whole debate is this: A lot of people like me aren't against ethical stem cell research. What we're against is the government funding of it. The medical industry has more than enough money to pay its way for its own research.

There's nothing I'd love to see more than the patent to the cure for cancer being owned by Pfizer.

More than just the medical industry would benefit from the reseearch, so to say that its purely the medical community's problem to find the money is absurd.