TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Insanity

ECW Spoilers for 11/7/06 Tapings

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
Rating was a 1.5, which I think is slightly down from last week, but still in the same range it usually gets. Guess WWE fans still don't know it's a WWE brand.

It's the lowest rating ever for "new ECW", besides the July 4th episode.

It was actually a pretty enjoyable show the last couple of weeks. I think people are tired of The Big Show in every main event, I mean he's entertaining in doses, but terribly overexposed.

The title and the champion don't need to wrestle in every main event. I mean this week, I would have loved to see Punk and Knox in the ME spot and given the extra five minutes to work with.

I also think ECW should push tag wrestling - there is a fanbase for that afterall. Would it kill them to give us Guido and Mamaluke vs Heyman's Henchmen??

Fun match between Punk and Knox. Knox stunk it up, but I see how longer matches play more to Punk's strengths. I'm curious as to what everyone else thought.

Knox is perfectly fit for tag teams. He does well enough on the offense but his best skill is taking bumps, specifically head bumps.

It was actually a pretty enjoyable show the last couple of weeks. I think people are tired of The Big Show in every main event, I mean he's entertaining in doses, but terribly overexposed.

The title and the champion don't need to wrestle in every main event. I mean this week, I would have loved to see Punk and Knox in the ME spot and given the extra five minutes to work with.

I also think ECW should push tag wrestling - there is a fanbase for that afterall. Would it kill them to give us Guido and Mamaluke vs Heyman's Henchmen??

Speaking of which has there been any talk about bringing back the tag and/or tv titles?

Ignore wrestling ability for the moment (although Punk wins on that, too). One of these candidates can potentially be made into PR spin to show your company being responsible, encouraging law-abiding behaviour and so forth. The other just confirms everybody's bad opinions.

Did you watch Raw this week? Did you see the end of the show, specifically? People potentially tuning in to see the show are greeted by shit like that each and every week, and it does far more damage than hearing that their champ smokes reefer. The latter you only hear about if you look through the proper channels (this site, others like it, the local area's news), the former you can experience every week by watching their show. The company was reluctant to let RVD be a top guy and one slip-up was all they needed to justify moving him out of the picture and taking away the #1 star of a promotion that only a minority of WWE management wants to see succeed in the first place. Everyone tries to make this into a drug argument, but that's not what the issue was. WWE is already a complete and utter joke to the public in the first place, and very little outside of Vince raping and murdering his whole family could make the perception of the company worse.

Ignore wrestling ability for the moment (although Punk wins on that, too). One of these candidates can potentially be made into PR spin to show your company being responsible, encouraging law-abiding behaviour and so forth. The other just confirms everybody's bad opinions.

Did you watch Raw this week? Did you see the end of the show, specifically? People potentially tuning in to see the show are greeted by shit like that each and every week, and it does far more damage than hearing that their champ smokes reefer. The latter you only hear about if you look through the proper channels (this site, others like it, the local area's news), the former you can experience every week by watching their show. The company was reluctant to let RVD be a top guy and one slip-up was all they needed to justify moving him out of the picture and taking away the #1 star of a promotion that only a minority of WWE management wants to see succeed in the first place. Everyone tries to make this into a drug argument, but that's not what the issue was. WWE is already a complete and utter joke to the public in the first place, and very little outside of Vince raping and murdering his whole family could make the perception of the company worse.

Also, having a straight edge champion isn't exactly going to make WWE's image look better considering the general public's view on sXe'rs isn't that pretty anyways. The Rock was generally as clean looking as you could get and even despite his massive mainstream popularity, the media still (rightfully) observed the WWE as a side-show freak act.

Hulk Hogan was an admited steroid user and his popularity didn't decline as a result of it, Steve Austin has repeated domestic violence charges and he's still beloved by the fans and still a media name.

Rob Van Dam is a no-body and his actions didn't matter by any means. To pretend that he's a image liability because of his love for pot (which has been a part of his character for the past 12 years) and ignore the fact you regularly have worse image situations such as death in star wrestlers because of drug abuse, rampant homosexual overtones, exposed male ass, questionable business ethics and many others.

The RVD arrest was just the thing they needed to get what they wanted. WWE knew RVD was the ONLY legit name attached to ECW and had no choice but to use him to jump start the new brand. However, they really never wanted him in the spot to start with.

Also, having a straight edge champion isn't exactly going to make WWE's image look better considering the general public's view on sXe'rs isn't that pretty anyways. The Rock was generally as clean looking as you could get and even despite his massive mainstream popularity, the media still (rightfully) observed the WWE as a side-show freak act.

Hulk Hogan was an admited steroid user and his popularity didn't decline as a result of it, Steve Austin has repeated domestic violence charges and he's still beloved by the fans and still a media name.

Rob Van Dam is a no-body and his actions didn't matter by any means. To pretend that he's a image liability because of his love for pot (which has been a part of his character for the past 12 years) and ignore the fact you regularly have worse image situations such as death in star wrestlers because of drug abuse, rampant homosexual overtones, exposed male ass, questionable business ethics and many others.

The RVD arrest was just the thing they needed to get what they wanted. WWE knew RVD was the ONLY legit name attached to ECW and had no choice but to use him to jump start the new brand. However, they really never wanted him in the spot to start with.

These are some great post. I think they beg the following questions: when does his contract run out? Does he care he's being misused and does he have any interest in TNA, ROH or Japan?

These are some great post. I think they beg the following questions: when does his contract run out? Does he care he's being misused and does he have any interest in TNA, ROH or Japan?

RVD had a chance to escape not so long ago and he knew that TNA would give him a big contract and that was a option but he really doesn't seem bothered by it anymore, so he extended the contract. I'm fairly sure he has at least another 18 months but likely more.

Whens the Bashams gonna do something?

It's actually just Doug Basham who is part of the masked security force. Danny Basham had knee surgery a couple of months ago. The other masked guy is, or at least was, Derrick Neikirk. He got put into the role both due to the injury to Danny and because his tag team partner at the time, Ryan O'Reilly, was suspended for failing a drugs test. As for what was planned for The Bashams, nothing was ever planned beyond them being the masked security guys and making up the numbers on ECW house shows.

Rating was a 1.5, which I think is slightly down from last week, but still in the same range it usually gets. Guess WWE fans still don't know it's a WWE brand.

Actually the fans have finally notice that this is another WWE brand show and not the ECW from the Rise and Fall DVD.