TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

This Week in College Football 11/14 - 11/18

Guest Felonies!
Poor Rutgers. From a probable BCS bowl to a lowly bowl like the Texas or International Bowl.

This is what makes college football great.

Whatever intrigue the UM/OSU matchup had is now gone. Let's have a team like Florida or USC have a shot, for Christ's sake. Something FRESH rather than a game we just...now...saw.

That was a major part of the USC vs. Texas game last year-they hadn't played each other and there was intrigue as to how they would match up.

Basically, Rematch=Boredom city.

Got my Top 25:

(Previous week's ranking in parenthesis)

1. Ohio State 12-0 (1)

2. Michigan 11-1 (2)

3. Florida 10-1 (3)

4. USC 9-1 (5)

5. Arkansas 10-1 (6)

6. Notre Dame 10-1 (8)

7. Louisville 9-1 (9)

8. West Virginia 9-1 (10)

9. LSU 9-2 (7)

10. Boise State 11-0 (11)

11. Texas 9-2 (12)

12. Oklahoma 9-2 (13)

13. Auburn 10-2 (14)

14. Wisconsin 11-1 (16)

15. Rutgers 9-1 (4)

16. Georgia Tech 9-2 (18)

17. Boston College 9-2 (21)

18. Tennessee 8-3 (20)

19. Virginia Tech 9-2 (23)

20. Nebraska 8-3 (22)

21. California 8-3 (17)

22. Maryland 8-3 (19)

23. Clemson 8-3 (24)

24. Wake Forest 9-2 (15)

25. Brigham Young 9-2 (25)

Close: Hawaii (8-2), Georgia (7-4), Penn State (8-4), Texas A&M (8-3), Cincinnatti (6-5)

Edit: Hawaii's leading 13-7 in the 2nd quarter, but I'm not going to be moving them above BYU this week anyway, and I didn't want to hold off the rankings just to decide the #26 spot.

So what happens if Notre Dame beats USC, beats Ohio State in the BCS title game, and Michigan beats USC in the Rose Bowl?

Notre Dame would be a legitimate champion if they beat Ohio State. However, it's extremely unlikely that ND would be able to compete if the two teams did play, and they really don't deserve to get the opportunity seeing how badly Michigan beat them.

Anyone else think that the Coliseum is pretty unintimidating tonight? The crowd doesn't seem to be all that into the game and Cal is just doing their thing.

ABC must have turned down the sound or some shit.

It was very loud.

Notre Dame would be a legitimate champion if they beat Ohio State. However, it's extremely unlikely that ND would be able to compete if the two teams did play, and they really don't deserve to get the opportunity seeing how badly Michigan beat them.

Style points, will play big for ND. They'll need to kill USC along the lines of a 49-10 shutdown to overcome getting slapped by Michigan to at least muster a greater line of support.

UCLA beats Arizona State which creates an interesting situation as there are now eight Pac-10 teams with at least six wins but they have only six guarenteed bids. The Poinsettia Bowl has an open bid and that would seem like a good fit for a Pac-10 team. The only other option after that is the Motor City Bowl which will have an open bid as the Big Ten won't be able fill it. Quite possible Wazzu or the loser of the ASU/U of A game could be left sitting at home, not that anyone should feel sorry for any 6-6 team not getting a bowl game.

Aw, you mean a school already pillaging students with tuition costs won't get the chance to pad their wallets with an extra few million bucks with an undeserved invitation to the prestigous Motor City Bowl?

I doubt it happens but I've been hearing rumors that Steve Spurrier could be on his way to Miami. This is strictly rumor at this point, but CSTV seems to think it could be a done deal. I'm looking for another source on this, but so far, I'll I've seen is this article.

I doubt it happens but I've been hearing rumors that Steve Spurrier could be on his way to Miami. This is strictly rumor at this point, but CSTV seems to think it could be a done deal. I'm looking for another source on this, but so far, I'll I've seen is this article.

That could be all kinds of awesome, in a good way or a bad way. The Ol' Ball Coach running the nation's cockiest program would make the rest of the country hate them even more than before.

Spurrier to Miami? I doubt it. I'd see Spurrier to FSU before that happens.

And Urban, Your sig rules all. UF rules college football.

I think Spurrier should get the hell out of South Carolina. He's probably waking up to the realization that they can't win anything in the SEC and won't ever finish above 3rd in the east. The SEC has changed a lot since Spurrier was at Florida, but his style would fit in fine in an up tempo ACC without a great team.

And Navy is going to the Meineke Car Care (ugh) Bowl.

New coaches' poll:

1. Ohio State

2. USC

3. Michigan

4. Florida

5. Arkansas

6. Notre Dame

7. West Virginia

8. LSU

9. Wisconsin

10. Texas

11. Louisville

12. Boise State

13. Auburn

14. Oklahoma

15. Georgia Tech

16. Rutgers

17. Virginia Tech

18. Boston College

19. Nebraska

20. Wake Forest

21. Tennessee

22. California

23. BYU

24. Clemson

25. Hawaii

Michigan and USC are separated by only 16 points in the poll. Florida is 21 points behind Michigan.

I just got in, is the new BCS rankings announcement gonna be at halftime of Game 2, or is it going to be late at night like last week?

I just got in, is the new BCS rankings announcement gonna be at halftime of Game 2, or is it going to be late at night like last week?

Fox doesn't have a doubleheader today so it can't be that.

Michigan stayed # 2 in the AP poll by 9 points over USC. I'm impressed with the voters and coaches NOT being douches for once.

1 - 1625 Ohio State

2 - 1502 Michigan

3 - 1493 USC

4 - 1451 Florida

5 - 1365 Arkansas

6 - 1307 Notre Dame

7 - 1144 West Virginia

8 - 1078 Louisville

9 - 1075 LSU

10 - 1049 Wisconsin

11 - 1028 Texas

12 - 878 Boise State

13 - 856 Oklahoma

14 - 822 Auburn

15 - 736 Rutgers

16 - 667 Georgia Tech

17 - 583 Virginia Tech

18 - 516 Boston College

19 - 404 Tennessee

20 - 355 Wake Forest

21 - 325 Brigham Young

22 - 302 California

23 - 258 Nebraska

24 - 122 Clemson

25 - 89 Hawaii

WOW.....

Latest BCS standings:

1 Ohio State .977

2 Michigan .974

3 USC .870

4 Florida .850

5 Notre Dame .819

6 Rutgers .787

7 Arkansas .757

8 West Virginia .658

9 Wisconsin .643

10 Louisville .641

11 LSU .603

12 Boise State .554

13 Texas .517

14 Auburn .468

15 California .439

16 Wake Forest .436

17 Oklahoma .387

18 Georgia Tech .361

19 Maryland .220

20 Boston College .219

21 Virginia Tech .205

22 Tennessee .189

23 Nebraska .102

24 Oregon .087

25 Brigham Young .063

And found the new BCS Rankings...Michigan does stay at #2 as their edge in the computers gives them enough to stay ahead of USC.

Link

1. Ohio State

2. Michigan .9263

3. USC .9188

4. Florida .8838

5. Notre Dame

6. Arkansas

7. West Virginia

8. Wisconsin

9. Louisville

10. LSU

11. Boise State

12. Auburn

13. Texas

14. Rutgers

15. Oklahoma

16. Georgia Tech

17. Virginia Tech

18. Boston College

19. California

20. Tennessee

21. Wake Forest

22. Nebraska

23. BYU

24. Clemson

25. Penn State

Terrible. Goddamn computers. Good thing USC's going to make an example out of Notre Dame and give us a championship game that's worth watching. Say all the "you wouldn't watch Michigan/Ohio State FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP?!" crap you want, the answer is no. We saw it yesterday.

Okay, what is up with the Harris poll? How the hell did LSU actually go UP after beating Ole Miss in OT, while U of L stays at 10 after trouching a much better USF? And how the hell is Wisconsin even in the top 10? I know they are 11-1, but they've played maybe 1 decent opponent in Michigan and got trounced.

The LSU thing puzzles me more though. They're going to finish 3rd in the SEC West.