TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

I am deeply unsettled by the suggestion that anyone other than Tampa Bay will be taking Calvin Johnson. Are we just not doing the Cleveland/Tampa coin toss anymore, because it seems like ESPN has conceded the 3rd pick to the Browns. I'm not concerned about Oakland or Detroit, but Cleveland worries me, especially since they're no longer a mortal lock to take RB with their 1st round pick.

Cleveland won that toss a while ago.

The Cleveland Browns won the flip with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and will now have the third pick in the draft with Tampa Bay choosing fourth. The teams were tied with identical 2006 records and identical opponents' records, thus necessitating the coin flip to determine drafting position.

from NFL.com

I Dont know how the Ravens did good out of this..Id have rather they drafted a RB then taking some teams unwanted luggage off of them. And a 3rd/7th this year and a 3rd next year, to me, is a pretty steep price considering how well the Ravens usually draft. Plus, if they dont manage to resign him to a long term deal, then they really got hosed.

We'll see.

You don't see how this is a good deal for the Ravens? They just majorly upgraded their running game and last time I checked the Ravens liked to run the football. McGahee isn't just someone else's garbage. He's very close to being an elite back. He was jettisoned because the Bills are too cheap to pay him.

Wes Welker just got traded for a #2 and a #7. Two 3s and a 7 isn't exactly a king's ransom.

Wow, what a fucking idiot.

I would wipe my ass with that third round pick if it got my team a good running back.

Before they get a running back, they should focus on some Offensive Lineman. They averaged 83.4 rushing yards per game. Only the Lions had a lower ranking.

Jamal Lewis was their running back. He was probably one of, if not the worst, starting back in football. You can't blame that all on the o-line.

EDIT: Thought you were talking about the Ravens, not the Browns.

I'm pretty sure that the coin toss was originally scheduled for the day before the draft. I guess officials from the two teams met at the combine and someone happened to have a coin handy. Whatever. My concern here is that Cleveland either up and drafts Calvin Johnson themselves or that they trade the 3rd pick to someone that wants to draft him. I don't think there's a chance that they draft Brady Quinn, they might not need Adrian Peterson anymore, and Detroit probably takes...uh...the fat white OL from Wisconsin. Joe. Fat white Joe from Wisconsin. I'm just concerned, that's all.

I haven't been that up on the draft lately, but the only names I've heard in connection with Cleveland are Adrian Peterson and Brady Quinn. Calvin Johnson might be on the radar, especially with the Lewis signing, but most mock drafts still seem to show him going to Tampa Bay.

Cleveland really, really should draft Quinn with their first and a running back with their second.

But knowing them they'll trade down and draft Ted Ginn, then draft Antonio Pittman with their 2nd, and Troy Smith with their 3rd.

Only in Cleveland.

Well, Droughns is due to collect a $1.75 million roster bonus later this month and he didn't exactly set the world on fire as a "feature back" for the Browns. (Football Outsiders rated him as the worst everyday running back in the league this season.) With Jamal Lewis on board, I doubt that Cleveland will have any objections if the Packers poach him off of their roster.

In regards to the draft, the fact that they inked Lewis for a one year deal seems to leave the door open for picking Peterson, with the idea of a RB platoon/transition through next year. Even though the team desperately needs somebody - anybody - other than Charlie Frye at quarterback, I can understand why they would be reluctant to draft a QB in the first round, given how well Tim Couch worked out for them.

Dominic Rhodes signs with the Raiders for two years. I'm not sure what this does for either side. Rhodes could have turned his Super Bowl performance into a starting job somewhere and the Raiders could have used the money to upgrade their abysmal o-line. Perhaps they are concered that Lamont won't bounce back, which is understandable.

So are there any decent LT or RB left on the market? You'd think that the Giants might want to address one of those gaping holes some time this year.

So are there any decent LT or RB left on the market? You'd think that the Giants might want to address one of those gaping holes some time this year.

Well they have Brandon Jacons to handle RB, so that's not exactly a gaping hole. I don't know what the backups look like, so maybe that's what you're referring to.

Well they have Brandon Jacons to handle RB, so that's not exactly a gaping hole. I don't know what the backups look like, so maybe that's what you're referring to.

Brandon Jacobs 96 423 4.4 16 9

Chad Morton 1 22 22.0 22 0

Jim Finn 2 14 7.0 12 0

Mike Jennings 2 12 6.0 21 0

Jared Lorenzen 1 2 2.0 2 0

Amani Toomer 1 0 0 0 0

After removing Tiki & Eli's numbers you can see that they don't really have any backups at the RB spot aside from Jacobs who got minimal carries last year. With Luke and Tiki gone that's also basically 90% of Eli's backside/blitz protection and Eli's not mobile enough to work with what amounts to a bunch of rookies at those key positions. They cut two starting linebackers too, and have done absolutely NOTHING thus far in free agency. With no high draft picks I don't see how they're going to find a starting LT, 2 LBs, a RB and at least another CB.

Good teams do not win by picking up free agents. They win by developing their own talent or trading for it.

Well you can't make up for 4 lost starters at those positions in the draft and the Giants don't have the luxury of pissing a year away to develop some youngsters with vocal guys like Strahan & Toomer coming to the end. They didn't make the move for McGahee which would have shored up the RB spot and to just cut Petitgout loose without a backup plan in place was retardation on the highest level. The NFC East is a winnable division and we're just sitting by twiddling our thumbs as everyone else improves and our options close on a daily basis.

I think you are overestimating the idea of the division improving. The Eagles have only done resignings so far, the Cowboys broke the bank for Leonard fucking Davis, and when the Redskins have a round FA signings that actually add up to anything then I'll start to worry. If your team was hurting before this offseason's FA crop, chances are it will still be hurting no matter who you sign. Fucking awful is being generous.

If they weren't in the division, Tra Thomas would probably be available for the right price with Winston Justice waiting in the wings.

Plus, to be fair, looking at this part from a John Clayton article it looks like they tried to do something about LT

3. New York Giants: They have a gaping hole at left tackle after they released Petitgout and Bob Whitfield retired. Left tackle is a tough position to replace, and New York is getting a feel for that. Leonard Davis could have received $24 million in guarantees had he signed on as a left tackle for the Giants, but he opted to sign with the Cowboys. The team also has holes at linebacker after releasing Carlos Emmons and LaVar Arrington. The Giants could be losing kicker Jay Feeley as well.

It looks like the Chargers might be changing their uniforms this year. Apparently this was posted on the Chargers website for about an hour before it was taken down.

SDCnewuniform.jpg

Guest Queen Leelee

Of course, they have to be ugly.

Hey, everyone likes the old powder blues. Let's never use them.

Of course, they have to be ugly.

Hey, everyone likes the old powder blues. Let's never use them.

People need to accept that the powder blues are "retro" and will only be used in such situations. It will never be the regular attire.

Why not?

Why do teams feel it is necessary to use these 'modern'/flamboyant uniforms in the face of public desire for other uniforms?

There's more money in having a third jersey that everyone loves, as long as your regular uniform is fine.

Maybe Green Bay just plans to match a rookie up with Morency/Herron.

Wasn't someone bringing up the point a few weeks back that Favre is much better when he has an accomplished RB to hand off to? I guess they are trying to disprove that theory.