TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

Guest Eagle Man

How are the Bears the bad guys in this? Why is it unreasonable to give Lance Briggs $7.2 million?

I don't think they are the bad guys here, but come on, a player of his talent really should be signed to a long term deal, not on a year to year basis. He's being a jackass about it though. So hey, as good as he is, I don't care if he goes. He talks about the Bears not showing that they want him there, well he is showing them he isn't a player you want long term either.

Guest Eagle Man

He has a chance to contend for a championship with the Bears. Take the cut this year and leave after that, if you hate Jerry Angelo so much, but you might as well stick around for one year.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Good riddance. Y'know, as solid as the Colts are everywhere, wonder why they don't offer the Bears something for Briggs. If they had a good killer linebacker and some youth in the middle of the line, that defense would get scary good overnight.

The Redskins traded Adam Archuleta to the Chicago Bears for a sixth round draft choice. Bears reworked his deal to pay him $8.1 million over the next three years, with approximately $5 million guaranteed.

NFL.com is reporting that the Falcons will trade Matt Schaub to the Houston Texans for a second round pick.

I don't know how I feel about that one. I mean, it probably spells the end of Carr in Houston but I'm hoping we can atleast trade him for a few draft picks to shore up the line that we don't have to protect Matt..or atleast replace the 2nd rounder that we gave up. The story is saying there's also possibe extra compensation being thrown the Falcons way.. so I guess I'll wait on that to see if we actually made a smart move or not.

Guest Queen Leelee

About time.

Now, trade Carr to some team and give the guy a shot.

Wow...really? I mean, that can't be the best deal out there for him? Honestly they should have traded him last year when his trade value was really really high.

Well, hey, if that gives them another pick to get another lineman that I am all for it.

They just said on the radio here that the terms of the Schaub deal are this:

- Texans and Falcons swap 1st round picks this year

- Falcons get the Texans' 2nd round picks this year and in 2008.

- Atlanta will sign him to a new contract before trading him.

Considering the Schaub hype for the last two years and the fact the Eagles got just as much for AJ Feeley a couple years ago, I am a little surprised that that is all they got.

But that's all it is... hype. In his career, Schaub has thrown 161 passes and completed just 52% of them. He has 6 career touchdowns and 6 career inteceptions. He had an average college career and a decent showing in some preseason games. Other than being a sexy name, I don't know what he offers over David Carr.

But hype can drive the market. I agree that Schaub does seem to have gotten kind of overrated, but a couple years of the constant whispers "Schaub is better than any QB in the upcoming draft" "Schaub is a better starter option than any FA out there" and the value you would think would increase. Look at Feeley's numbers when he had that six or seven game stretch for the Eagles. He basically QBed a "please AJ don't fuck up the game for us" offense to a 5 or 6 and 1 record. The record and the buzz is what got the pick, certainly not his play if you actually look back at what he did.

That said if it is 2 2nds and trading down from 8 to 10, then that is a good deal for the Falcons, IMO.

What radio station? ESPNRadio or something local, like 610 am?

Matt Schaub hasn't been a starter since 2003. The Falcons should be glad to get the 2nd round pick for him.

Jay Glazer came on 790's midday show and said that those terms were agreed upon Monday so take that for what you will.

That's highway robbery.

Oh...well...okay, that works.

And I don't think Shaub is worth a second round pick, but I think that the hype surrounding him and that ONE performance against the Patriots two years ago had teams willing to give up alot for him more than JUST a second round pick....as evidenced by the Falcons raping the Texans in this deal.

Geez. Someone should get fired over that one.

I'm really fuckin hoping that there's a market out there for Carr and that we can replenish some of our picks we just gave away.

I don't know what we're going to do in the draft now. I mean... moving to 10.. there's still going to be a few good defensive players out there and I'm hoping there will be a decent tackle to sign up to give Schaub a bit more help than we've given David over the past five years.

Eh.. losing David... I don't know how I feel about it. I mean, I can see where he's got all the talent in the world if he just had a line that could give him a few more seconds.. but then again.. there've been times where given a bit more time, he still makes rookie mistakes and throws the ball up for anyone to grab and never seems to check down or find an open Andre Johnson.

I would assume, that this takes us out of the Jake Plummer drama.. but with Houston, that's never a given.

Should someone be fired? Maybe.. if those same people get something good in return of a Carr trade.. maybe no.

Considering the Schaub hype for the last two years and the fact the Eagles got just as much for AJ Feeley a couple years ago, I am a little surprised that that is all they got.

But that's all it is... hype. In his career, Schaub has thrown 161 passes and completed just 52% of them. He has 6 career touchdowns and 6 career inteceptions. He had an average college career and a decent showing in some preseason games. Other than being a sexy name, I don't know what he offers over David Carr.

Three less years of a sack destroyed body. Course, he'll catch up on that REAL fast since the Texans don't seem to be planning on making one damn move for offensive line. Except maybe Joe Thomas. So Matt will be either dead or injured by the midway point of the season.

Poor Matt, the Falcons sent him to die. Damn shame really, I thought they liked the guy.

Now where does David Carr go? Green Bay? Oakland? Minnesota? Where?

Should someone be fired? Maybe.. if those same people get something good in return of a Carr trade.. maybe no.

I would be very surprised if they get much of anything for Carr in a trade. What incentive do teams have to trade anything of value for him, knowing that the Texans will have to dump him now?