TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

There's no chance for Domanick Davis to make a comeback?

:(

According to reports almost all the cartilege in his knee has been removed or worn away. So basically he's grinding bone on bone. He's done. Of course, this had to happen the year after he signs his big contract extension so the Texans are on the hook for it.

As for Carr, I have the feeling the franchise just wanted it over. Carr wasn't getting any interest before the Schaub deal so there was no way he was going to get any after the deal. This allows Carr to catch on with some other team before OTAs and offseason workouts begin, and allow the franchise to get going without a spring of "What will they do with Carr?" questions.

Guest Queen Leelee

Good move for the Bills.

I don't know shit about Walker, but I assume he's an improvement over Tim Anderson or some equally random scrub. Positivity.

Instead of the obvious AFC title game rematch, the Colts will host the Saints in the 2007 season opener. That actually makes a lot of sense because everyone's going to watch the opening game anyway, so why not wait until November or so to pop the big rating for a game that will mean a lot more.

Good move for the Bills.

I don't know shit about Walker, but I assume he's an improvement over Tim Anderson or some equally random scrub. Positivity.

Walker should help. He's not a bad DT, but is not always consistent.

Instead of the obvious AFC title game rematch, the Colts will host the Saints in the 2007 season opener. That actually makes a lot of sense because everyone's going to watch the opening game anyway, so why not wait until November or so to pop the big rating for a game that will mean a lot more.

Nice. I really do enjoy how the NFL does as much as it can to optimize ratings. Had this been a regular Sunday game, I doubt I would have gotten to see it.

ESPN is reporting rumors of a possible Lance Briggs to Washington trade. The teams would exchange first round picks. Redskins currently have the 6th pick, and Bears 31st.

Guest Vitamin X

So what interest do the Bears have in the #6 pick? Who would they go for with that? Brady Quinn?

Good move for the Bills.

If your DT situation is that desperate than Walker could be an upgrade. He is a maddening player. One game he'll be a force, then the next three he is on his back the whole game. With the Reagor signing, Walker became expendable.

Spikes is terrific only because he should spell the end of Bow Tie Man. Other than that he is worth the risk for the price of Walker and an 08 pick (which I have seen rumored as a 7th rounder, which is nothing). Plus this fills one of the two main needs and frees them up to take Nelson, Griffin or Merriweather with their 1st round pick. Holcomb can serve his purpose as the no.3 this season before being replaced by a pick in 2008.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Bears would be in a great spot to just grab the best player available. I'd love to see them draft Quinn, though. Grossman is in the last year of his contract, Griese sucks, and Kyle Orton is fine for a worst-case scenario kind of backup. Drafting Quinn would make Grossman bust his ass to improve.

Besides, the Briggs situation is dead, might as well get something out of him.

That's awesome. Good to see the Saints in primetime

AoO, question for you, since you're saying you'd like to see Quinn taken by Chicago. How would you see them dealing with the contract situations of both Quinn and Grossman? They won't sign Quinn to a short-term deal (4 years or so will be the shortest I see them offering), and say Rex lights it up, they get themselves into the San Diego situation all over again, where they have to let go Grossman anyways or stunt Quinn's growth.

Guest Vitamin X

Sorry to burst your bubble Porter, but Grossman's not going to light it up anytime soon. It's not even comparable to the Drew Brees situation, since contrary to popular (or rather ESPN's) belief, he really wasn't a shitty quarterback before San Diego took Rivers. I remember that year saying they could've taken additional receiving help (and they could still use it, too since guys like McCardell and whathaveyou aren't getting any younger- they didn't even have any receivers crack the millenium mark in yards last year). They get LT and Antonio Gates, and BAM, his average numbers got really good.

Will the same thing happen to Sexy Rexy? It's doubtful. The best play Grossman has shown throughout his injury-riddled career has been the deep split seam route to Bernard Berrian. He played that out this year, now he's pretty much got nothing in his reportoire. His accuracy stinks. His arm strength is wildly inconsistent. He has no leadership ability, and it's really easy to blame him for losing, because he is continually at fault for losing games. This is the same guy who shrugged off a loss by saying, "Eh, it was New Year's Eve, we were distracted." Is that the kind of guy you want leading your team? Fuck that noise.

Listen, while I think Brady Quinn is the next Rick Mirer, it's still light years better than you'd have with Grossman. As far as Chicago's defense and Thomas Jones (now gone) got them this year, all the way to the Super Bowl, Grossman's only holding them back. With Muhsin Muhammad, Bernard Berrian, and Desmond Clark (not to mention Mark Bradley, who's done well in limited time), Chicago does have receivers, but they have no one worth a damn throwing them the ball.

But what the hell do I care to see a division rival get any better. Here's hoping Chicago takes another receiver, linebacker, safety, or something else they really have no use for.

First of all, it was a hypothetical question. Second of all, if Green Bay could have success with a guy who sling passes in a crowd of defenders, then I think Chicago will be fine with Rex Grossman for now.

I would add that I don't want to see them draft Quinn. Like you said, he's the next Rick Mirer. I'd rather they get someone else this year, and if Rex stinks it up, let him walk in the offseason and get a QB next year like Brian Brohm or Colt Brennan.

Guest Queen Leelee
Second of all, if Green Bay could have success with a guy who sling passes in a crowd of defenders, then I think Chicago will be fine with Rex Grossman for now.

Good luck!

Guest Vitamin X
First of all, it was a hypothetical question. Second of all, if Green Bay could have success with a guy who sling passes in a crowd of defenders, then I think Chicago will be fine with Rex Grossman for now.

The difference is that Brett Favre actually hits the guys in the same uniform as him far more often than the other team, which is more than you could say for Grossman, whose leading receiver this year would've been the turf at Soldier Field, if only those receptions had counted.

People forget it's the defense that makes the Chicago Bears who they are. Their good to average to mediocre to horrid offense is just the icing anyways.

That was my point, but if I'm saying that Chicago could essentially be a juggernaut if they just upgraded ONE position on offense from horrible to average, they'd have a killer offense AS WELL as a killer defense, they would be unstoppable.

The difference is that Brett Favre actually hits the guys in the same uniform as him far more often than the other team, which is more than you could say for Grossman, whose leading receiver this year would've been the turf at Soldier Field, if only those receptions had counted.

I don't want to turn this into another GB vs Chicago argument, but what the hell are you talking about? Grossman threw TWO more picks than Favre, and served up FIVE more TDs than Favre. Favre also split TD/INT ratio at 18/18 while Grossman had more TDs than INTs at 23/20.

Guest Vitamin X
So why don't the Bears sign David Carr? He should at least be an upgrade as a backup from Brian Griese, and he could eventually start once the Grossman experiment is over.

Because, and especially if the Briggs trade goes through, they'll either have a better option acquiring a good quarterback in the draft, and if they don't, it wouldn't make sense to have four well paid quarterbacks on the roster, well that's assuming Kyle Orton is well paid.

I don't want to turn this into another GB vs Chicago argument, but what the hell are you talking about? Grossman threw TWO more picks than Favre, and served up FIVE more TDs than Favre. Favre also split TD/INT ratio at 18/18 while Grossman had more TDs than INTs at 23/20.

Favre threw for more yards and had a better completion percentage, plus his average year was a bit more consistent throughout. If you look at Favre's games, he had a couple standouts but nothing all too spectacular (lack of offensive line help at the beginning of the year plus a lack of running game contributed to Favre putting more on his shoulders than he could handle and thus, more INT's). Grossman's stats are boosted by the games in which he would get lucky with the aforementioned deep split seam route to Berrian over and over. I don't want to get too deep in explanation here either, but Grossman had one excellent game last year (4 TD's, no INT's vs. Detroit in Week 2) and a few abysmal performances, culminating ultimately in playoff disappointment (They really should've beaten the Colts, and I think most Chicago fans here would agree he kind of did them in, although 20 for 28 for 165 yards with 1 TD, 2 INT's is not HORRIBLE, just mediocre. Then again, he was in Miami, it was rainy, eh he was probably just distracted, you know?

Either way, there's no point in arguing it since all the numbers are really close anyhow, which makes me ashamed as a Packers fan. The point with my "turf at Soldier Field" remark had more to do with Grossman's eccentric passes that would just randomly fly towards nowhere, which every time that I had tuned in to a Bears game, I seemed to witness quite often.

I'm not trying to claim Grossman is better than Favre. Favre's career gives him more of a pass to do whatever he wants, and he does try his hardest to win games, which I have to admit I can't say the same for Grossman. I don't see the Bears making it back to the Super Bowl in any event, especially with Briggs being all gung ho about wanting out, so they'd have to break a new LB in his spot which would make more work for Brian Urlacher and co. But to say that the quarterback position is so sorely lacking that it needs to be immediately fixed with the SIXTH PICK OVERALL, is just really... well, silly. Besides I don't even think Quinn's going to be on the board by the sixth pick, so they are stuck with Grossman either way.

As for Carr, I'd welcome that, as long as either Orton or Griese left by then.

Guest Vitamin X
Favre is like 46 right now though.

Ha. 38 in October. I think that's about the age where most HOF QB's tend to go out to pasture though, so this is why I really see it as his last season.

I'm not trying to claim Grossman is better than Favre. Favre's career gives him more of a pass to do whatever he wants, and he does try his hardest to win games, which I have to admit I can't say the same for Grossman. I don't see the Bears making it back to the Super Bowl in any event, especially with Briggs being all gung ho about wanting out, so they'd have to break a new LB in his spot which would make more work for Brian Urlacher and co. But to say that the quarterback position is so sorely lacking that it needs to be immediately fixed with the SIXTH PICK OVERALL, is just really... well, silly. Besides I don't even think Quinn's going to be on the board by the sixth pick, so they are stuck with Grossman either way.

As for Carr, I'd welcome that, as long as either Orton or Griese left by then.

I remember a few years ago, the Vikings just came off a surprise 15-1 season with a dominant offense and ended up taking Daunte Culpepper with the 11th pick. He worked out for a while, anyways.

I didn't say it needed to be immediately fixed with the sixth pick overall. It's a position that certainly needs to be addressed in the near future, and Agent made a pretty good point up there that would bring in a new guy. Do you think Quinn and Russell will both be gone by pick 6? Who else is a great option for Chicago at that pick?

With that pick, they can move up even more and grab Calvin Johnson. They could also grab LaRon Landry, considering how often Mike Brown gets hurt.