TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

Guest Felonies!

'85 Bears

'94 49ers

'99 Rams

I'm not qualified to make this list. Go Bears.

Guest Princess Leena

Hey, Midwest posters.

'72 Dolphins. They didn't lose.

'85 Bears.

'84 49ers.

'76 Raiders.

'91 Redskins.

Hey, Midwest posters.

'85 Bears.

'84 49ers.

'76 Raiders.

'91 Redskins.

The only reason I rate the Bears over the Dolphins is this:

In the playoffs, the Dolphins outscored their opponents 55-28, the Bears outscored their opponents 91-10.

Hey, Midwest posters.

'85 Bears.

'84 49ers.

'76 Raiders.

'91 Redskins.

In the playoffs, the Dolphins outscored their opponents 55-28, the Bears outscored their opponents 91-10.

That's not your only reason, another reason is because your a Bears fan.

Hey, Midwest posters.

'85 Bears.

'84 49ers.

'76 Raiders.

'91 Redskins.

That's not your only reason, another reason is because your a Bears fan.

While I am a Bears fan, that isn't a reason. I look at the statistics, and it supports my argument. Nice try though.

My Top 10 SB Teams since I couldn't do only 5. I mainly used dominance not only during the regular season but also the postseason as my basis for which teams were the most dominant. The 1996 Packers, 1969 Chiefs, and 1966 Packers are underrated IMO, especially the Packers. I have the 1972 Dolphins knocked out because, while undefeated, they played a notoriously weak division (#2 was 7-7) and the only team they played above .500 during the season was the Chiefs at 8-6. The Dolphins won that 20-10.

#1: 1985 Chicago Bears (Averaged 28.50 points and allowed 12.38 points a game over the regular season). Averaged 30.33 points and allowed 10 points (2 games were shutouts) a game in the postseason.

#2: 1984 San Francisco 49ers (Averaged 29.69 points and allowed 14.19 points a game over the regular season). Averaged 27.33 points and allowed 13 points (including 1 shutout) a game in the postseason.

#3: 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers (Averaged 22.25 points and allowed 12.19 points a game over the regular season.) Averaged 34 points and allowed 15.33 (2 games were 10 points or less) in the postseason.

#4: 1991 Washington Redskins (Averaged 30.31 points and allowed 14 points a regular season). Averaged 34 points and allowed 13.67 points (7 and 10 points in 2 games) a game in the postseason.

#5: 1992 Dallas Cowboys (Averaged 25.56 points and allowed 15.19 points a game over the regular season). Averaged 38.67 points and allowed 15.67 points a game in the postseason.

#6: 1996 Green Bay Packers (Averaged 28.50 points and allowed 13.13 points a game over the regular season). Averaged 33.33 points and allowed 16 points a game in the postseason.

#7: 1975 Pittsburgh Steelers (Averaged 26.64 points and allowed 11.57 points a game over the regular season). Averaged 21.67 points and allowed 12.33 points a game in the postseason.

#8: 1969 Kansas City Chiefs (Averaged 25.64 points and allowed 12.64 points a game over the regular season). Averaged 17.67 points and allowed 6.67 points a game in the postseason.

#9: 1977 Dallas Cowboys (Averaged 24.64 points and allowed 15.14 points a game over the regular season). Averaged 29 points and allowed 7.67 points a game in the postseason.

#10: 1966 Green Bay Packers (Averaged 23.93 points and allowed 11.64 points a game over the regular season). Averaged 34.50 points and allowed 18.50 points (10 in the SB) a game in the postseason.

Honorable Mention: 1972 Miami Dolphins (Averaged 27.50 points and allowed 12.21 points a game over the regular season). Averaged 18.33 points and allowed 12.67 points (7 in the SB) a game in the postseason.

How doesn't the 72 Dolphin's dont crack the top 10?

Regardless of how weak you think the divison was, going undefeated alone puts them in the Top 10.

Right. No matter how weak a division they may have played in, if playing a weak division was a practical guarantee of going unbeaten, surely we'd have seen it more often than one time.

Funny enough, quite a few good SB championship teams had some head-scratching "WTF?" losses on their schedule, not counting end-of-season "we've locked up HFA, so let the 3rd stringers get some playing time" losses.

'04 Patriots lost to a Dolphins team coming in at 2-11 (had they not lost that game, they would be a good candidate for top 5, no doubt)

'03 Patriots lost to a Steve Spurrier led Redskins team finishing 5-11

'98 Broncos lost to an 8-8 Giants team

'94 49ers - Eagles (7-9)

'92 Cowboys - Rams (6-10)

The '84 49ers one loss was to a 9-7 Steelers team, although they did make the AFC Title game

'04 Patriots lost to a Dolphins team coming in at 2-11 (had they not lost that game, they would be a good candidate for top 5, no doubt)

Now that I think about this, had they not lost to the Dolphins, I'd put them as Top 3, no doubt, as they'd have finished 15-1, with the one loss coming to a 15-1 Steelers team who they turned around and beat in the AFC Title game.

reminds me of my tendancy in Madden games to ALWAYS throw to the guy that the play is designed for!

Look for the other options dammit!

in Madden 06, I had Lee Evans with over 2000 yards receiving in a season, 40 TDs or something like that...the other receivers were not happy with that.

No wonder cyber Eric Moulds demanded to be traded.

In other news, Jeff Feagles' booboo knee cased the Giants to dust off 44 year old Sean Landetta in case they have to deactivate Feagles. Now, there's got to be plenty of unemployed punters graduating from college every year. The best they could do is a guy who's probably older than half the coaching staff?

How doesn't the 72 Dolphin's dont crack the top 10?

Regardless of how weak you think the divison was, going undefeated alone puts them in the Top 10.

Here's the Dolphins schedule from 1972 and the W/L...

1: Kansas City (8-6)

2: Houston (1-13)

3: Minnesota (7-7)

4: New York Jets (7-7)

5: San Diego (4-9-1)

6: Buffalo (4-9-1)

7: Baltimore (5-9)

8: Buffalo (4-9-1)

9: New England (3-11)

10: New York Jets (7-7)

11: St. Louis (4-9-1)

12: New England (3-11)

13: New York Giants (8-6)

14: Baltimore (5-9)

Going undefeated is all nice and dandy but for my Top 10 SB teams, they don't make the cut. That schedule overall is utterly deplorable and the only reason they ranked 11th was because of their postseason run and SB win. The best team they faced during the regular season was barely above .500! 6 of their opponents barely had 5 wins.

Can you seriously tell me that without that wicked easy schedule, the Dolphins would've gone undefeated? Can you name a single season where a "top" team had such an easy schedule to run through?

A good SB winning team is dominant in the regular season AND the post season, not just the post season. Just look at how many points they averaged in the playoffs.

They beat Cleveland 20-14, Pittsburgh 21-17, and Washington 14-7. You're telling me they should be ahead of the teams I listed in my Top 10? They didn't even win convincingly in the playoffs and the SB.

For comparison...

The 1985 Bears (15-1) lost to a 12-4 Dolphins team.

The 1998 Broncos (14-2) lost to an 8-8 Giants team and a 10-6 Dolphins team.

The 1991 Redskins (14-2) lost to an 11-5 Cowboys team and a 10-6 Eagles team.

The 1984 49ers (15-1) lost to a 9-7 Steelers team.

The 1986 Giants (14-2) lost to a 7-9 Cowboys and 10-6 Seahawks team.

All those teams won Super Bowls while losing at least 1 game in the regular season to very good opponents, unlike those faced by the 1972 Dolphins. They all lost to teams that went at least 9-7 while also playing in much tougher divisions.

So that's how the 1972 Dolphins don't crack my Top 10.

Guest Felonies!
But they went undefeated. Is this the college game? Are we determining merit by strength of schedule, margin of victory, and lustrous hair? If they had the only undefeated route to the Super Bowl ever, they're automatically #1, and you can use all that other crap to sort out the rest of the pack.

Can you seriously tell me that without that wicked easy schedule, the Dolphins would've gone undefeated? Can you name a single season where a "top" team had such an easy schedule to run through?

You do realize that '72 Dolphins team used a backup QB (38 year old Earl Morrall) from game 5 until the AFC championship game, right? They may have had an easy schedule, but doing it for ~ 10.5 games w/ a backup QB isn't exactly a walk in the park.

Guest Felonies!

Who fucking cares? They were undefeated. Sure, I think they're pathetic old men now with their whole ritual, but if they're the only team with a zero in the loss column, it's hard to say anyone was better. Even the '85 Bears.

Who fucking cares? They were undefeated. Sure, I think they're pathetic old men now with their whole ritual, but if they're the only team with a zero in the loss column, it's hard to say anyone was better. Even the '85 Bears.

I didn't mean to sound disparaging. Shit, as far as I'm concerned undefeated is undefeated. Everyone knew what was coming, and no one could stop them. It's not their fault.

Czonka's always been one of my favorite players. He was my idol when I was still a fullback (until Alstott made a name for himself and my semipro teammates loved the thought of a 265 pound fullback). Dude was one of the few running backs who usually gave out more punishment then he received.

Now that I think about this, had they not lost to the Dolphins, I'd put them as Top 3, no doubt, as they'd have finished 15-1, with the one loss coming to a 15-1 Steelers team who they turned around and beat in the AFC Title game.

Eh, I'd still put them in my Top 5 because of the playoff wins against Indy and Pittsburgh, which were absolute dominations of both teams. Yes, they struggled a little against Philly, but that Eagles team was pretty decent themselves.

Also, I'm a homer, so I HAVE to have one of the three teams in there and that was probably the best overall team of the three.

Edited by KingPK

Guest Princess Leena

Those '72 Dolphins might as well have played on blue turf with that schedule.

Guest Princess Leena
I mean, it's not like her to make such frivilous remarks and all

Frivolous.

I talk sports. You can talk silly.

Guest Princess Leena
They beat Cleveland 20-14, Pittsburgh 21-17, and Washington 14-7. You're telling me they should be ahead of the teams I listed in my Top 10? They didn't even win convincingly in the playoffs and the SB.

You play to win the game.

For comparison...

The 1985 Bears (15-1) lost to a 12-4 Dolphins team.

The 1998 Broncos (14-2) lost to an 8-8 Giants team and a 10-6 Dolphins team.

The 1991 Redskins (14-2) lost to an 11-5 Cowboys team and a 10-6 Eagles team.

The 1984 49ers (15-1) lost to a 9-7 Steelers team.

The 1986 Giants (14-2) lost to a 7-9 Cowboys and 10-6 Seahawks team.

So, if Miami would have lost to say the Giants. That would be a loss to a 9-5 team. Comparative to a 11-5 team to the teams mentioned here. Would that make them better?

'85 Bears are clearly the best ever, and I'm not what you would call a 'fan'. '72 Fins should be 2nd for their record alone. And I like seeing the '96 Packers get some attention, definitly an underrated team as far as the all-time lists go.