TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

Ex-Rays catcher Toby Hall, nontendered by the Dodgers, said several teams called and he expected better options (Phillies? White Sox? Yankees?) than a minor-league contract the Rays might offer. "That was funny," Hall said. "I guess it would be a minor-league contract because they're a minor-league team."

Nice, more players should be brash like that.

I just thought it would be fun to post this snippet from the 2002 version of Baseball Prospectus...

Hall starting hitting in 2000 and won't stop until, oh, 2014 or whereabouts.

Riiiight.

If there's anything at fault for that, it's free agency. I've always defended the institution, but there's no denying that the process started a culture of arms building that persists to this day. If you want to throw another one out there, blame Peter Ubberoth. It was the '84 Olympics that demonstrated how much money you could make if you sold every dollar of a sporting event.

And to add something to the other aspect, people have said statistics will be the ruination of the game since the 19th Century.

Jason Marquis, a really dreadful pitcher, has signed with the Cubs for more than $20M for three seasons of ineptitude and three run homers. All the Cubs needed to know about his numbers are a 6.02 ERA in 2006. Instead, whatever fixation with innings and adjusted ERA led the A's to give the same deal to Esteban Loaiza last winter has just made another obvious mediocrity a rich man.

Does he not realize the Cubs just have a bad front office?

It's hard to say with him. Was last year just an off year, or was he overachieving the previous two years? He had a couple of pretty bad seasons his last two years in Atlanta.

He had one good year, one bad year, and one year where he missed time (so I assume he was injured).

I've rarely seen a pitcher sustain a 6+ ERA over an extended period of time who was of Major League quality. He's got to be better than this.

Hey now, I wasn't suggesting that Josh Beckett would be or should be a closer. It was just a passing thought, especially if the Red Sox acquire Clemens, that out of the current guys in the rotation, Beckett seems like he would be the best fit to be a closer, should they choose to go that route. Clemens ain't closing. I wouldn't trust a guy that throws a knuckleball to be a consistently good closer. Schilling already didn't do too hot in that role. I still think that Beckett's one of the top young starters in baseball and, all told, I think he did quite well for his first year in the hard-thumpin' AL East.

And I wonder how long it took John Rocker to decide he wanted to come out to "I Wanna Rock". He's a genius.

Just please stop posting. It's such a pain to wade through all the crap you place in your posts.

The ignore feature is your friend. Worked for me.

We'll see a Red Sox-Yankees two or three game series in Japan within two years, I think. That way they can see how REAL baseball is played: for a really, really long time.

It's hard to say with him. Was last year just an off year, or was he overachieving the previous two years? He had a couple of pretty bad seasons his last two years in Atlanta.

He had one good year, one bad year, and one year where he missed time (so I assume he was injured).

I've rarely seen a pitcher sustain a 6+ ERA over an extended period of time who was of Major League quality. He's got to be better than this.

He wasn't injured in 2003, he was just bad. The Braves sent him to the bullpen, and then down to Richmond.

Jack Morris, although I'm pretty sure you've done him before.

Guest Princess Leena

What's this Dice shit? Couldn't they have waited a while before giving him a stupid nickname.

What's this Dice shit? Couldn't they have waited a while before giving him a stupid nickname.

His name is pronounced "dice-kay," so I guess the media thought they'd be really clever by giving him the nickname Dice-K. Which really isn't a nickname, since it's just his name. Twits.

Jim Thome and Jamie Moyer.

1. Was he ever regarded as the best player in baseball? Did anybody, while he was active, ever suggest that he was the best player in baseball?

No. Thome was one of the best hitters in baseball in his prime, but no one truly considered him the very best, due to his relative lack of defensive value. Moyer as well has never been among baseball's elite.

2. Was he the best player on his team?

Moyer ranked behind Ken Griffey, Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez and Edgar Martinez at least during the Mariners' best seasons. Jim Thome was never the best player on the Indians, but he was always in the top three.

3. Was he the best player in baseball at his position? Was he the best player in the league at his position?

Thome was the third best first baseman in the American League in the 1990s behind Frank Thomas and Mark McGwire. If you add the National League Thome drops behind Jeff Bagwell as well. Into the new decade, Todd Helton and Albert Pujols have outproduced Thome. Moyer was never the best pitcher in baseball or the league.

4. Did he have an impact on a number of pennant races?

Thome played on six divisional champion Cleveland Indian squads. It's hard to measure his pennant race impact because the Indians frequently won their division by double digits. That's a point in Thome's favor. Moyer's Mariners won the AL West twice, and he went 9-3 in the second half of 1997.

5. Was he good enough that he could play regularly after passing his prime?

Yes in both cases. Moyer in fact has made 30+ starts every year since turning 40. You might say he could play regularly ONLY after passing his prime.

6. Is he the very best baseball player in history who is not in the Hall of Fame?

No in either case.

7. Are most players who have comparable statistics in the Hall of Fame?

Of the six players comparable to Thome who are eligible, three are in the Hall. Carlos Delgado, Manny Ramirez, Mark McGwire and Juan Gonzalez are the other four. You can say then that about half the players with Thome's comparable stats are in. Only one of Moyer's comps is in the Hall, Catfish Hunter. Hunter is in for his five consecutive 20 win seasons, something Moyer can not claim.

8. Do the player's numbers meet Hall of Fame standards?

Thome scores well on the HOF standards test, but surprisingly low on the black/gray ink tests. That gives an indication that Thome piled up high numbers due to his era, but he wasn't among the best. Moyer's numbers, frankly, do not meet Hall of Fame standards.

9. Is there any evidence to suggest that the player was significantly better or worse than is suggested by his statistics?

Not really.

10. Is he the best player at his position who is eligible for the Hall of Fame?

Thome yes if you rank him above Don Mattingly and Keith Hernandez. That might be close. Moyer doesn't have a prayer.

11. How many MVP-type seasons did he have? Did he ever win an MVP award? If not, how many times was he close?

Thome's highest MVP finish was 4th, in 2003. He cracked the top ten four times. Jamie Moyer has a 4th, 5th and 6th place Cy Young finish to his credit.

12. How many All-Star-type seasons did he have? How many All-Star games did he play in? Did most of the players who played in this many All-Star games go into the Hall of Fame?

Thome played in five All-Star games, Moyer one. Most players with these totals are not in the Hall.

13. If this man were the best player on his team, would it be likely that the team could win the pennant?

In Thome's case, yes. The Indians won with players not that much better than Thome. In Moyer's case, no. Moyer was a supporting member of his playoff squads.

14. What impact did the player have on baseball history? Was he responsible for any rule changes? Did he introduce any new equipment? Did he change the game in any way?

None.

15. Did the player uphold the standards of sportsmanship and character that the Hall of Fame, in its written guidelines, instructs us to consider?

Yes, in both cases. Jim Thome won both the Lou Gehrig and Roberto Clemente memorial awards. Moyer won both awards, plus the Branch Rickey award.

Moyer we can dismiss right away. Thome's intriguing. I always figured he'd reach 500 home runs and be a lock. But his showing here is not impressive at all. Thome will get in with his counting stats, and I don't think he'd be a black mark on the Hall at all.

This is great news. My only hope is that this doesn't turn into an albatross contract like Delgado's did. But, it looks like Rogers is committed to having a payroll around $90-100 million, so that may not be an issue.