TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

I'd say no just because his last few years were so awful that it kind of marred his legacy. He's a lock to get in, I just don't know if it'll be on his first try.

I hope that deal isn't finalized. Gonzalez is young, a lefty, and is a good reliever, but he was hurt at the end of last year, and I really like Melky.

I don't like the idea of trading a future possible starter on the team for a reliever.

I hope that deal isn't finalized. Gonzalez is young, a lefty, and is a good reliever, but he was hurt at the end of last year, and I really like Melky.

I don't like the idea of trading a future possible starter on the team for a reliever.

This is why I don't pay attention to offseason rumors. There's a simple smell test I like to utilize, and it is simply that if the trade has been rumored for longer than a week or two, it is not happening. The reason being that if all parties liked the deal, they would have done it already. This trade was dead two weeks ago, but it keeps coming up because someone repeats it in the absence of real, meaningful baseball news.

White Sox deal McCarthy to the Rangers.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...6&fext=.jsp

I'm confused as to why they make this move when Buehrle wasn't exactly his 05 self last season and the rest of the staff was remarkably average. Plus, can't you get more for your "best pitching prospect"?

*Sighs*... any room on the Indians bandwagon?

Will Roberto Alomar be a first ballot Hall of Famer?

He certainly should be. He was the best second baseman of his era.

He should be, and I think he will be. The reason I ask is Alomar had a significant drop-off statistically his last three years.

Alomar's a lock for the Hall, and IMO, as sure a first ballot guy as they come. At least in regards to second basemen.

Thanks to the Complete Baseball Encyclopedia, where Roberto Alomar ranks among second basemen (min. 5000 plate appearances).

At Bats: 4th

Batting Average: 9th (.300)

Bases per Plate Appearance: 10th (.513)

Caught Stealing: 8th (114)

Doubles: 3rd (504)

Extra Base Hits: 5th (594)

Games: 4th

GIDP: 2nd (205)

Hits: 4th (2724)

Home Runs: 10th (210)

Intentional Walks: 5th (62)

Outs: 4th (6913)

Plate Appearances: 3rd (10400)

RBI: 8th (1134)

Runs Created Above Average: 6th (318)

Runs Created Above Position: 6th (401)

Runs: 5th (1508)

Runs Created: 7th (1576)

Sacrifice Flies: 1st (97)

Singles: 5th (1930)

Slugging Pct.: 10th (.443)

Stolen Bases: 4th (474)

Total Bases: 4th (4018)

Walks: 7th (1032)

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Something is up here. I can't figure out why in the world they'd trade McCarthy. Is it possible that he's damaged goods like Prior, and only the White Sox know this? There's gotta be a reason along those lines, because Kenny Williams is a front-office genius who has never made a bad move in his life.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Okay, but I thought Brandon McCarthy was their ace of the future, after Contreras turns 50 or whatever and Buerhle bolts for St. Louis. This was just really unexpected.

I'm worried the Twins won't be able to afford Santana when his contract is up after 2009.

I think that's a legitimate worry. Of course, I'm sure Pohlad could probably pay the money if he wanted to...he just won't want to.

Alomar's one of the best second basemen of all time. His two black marks are the sudden decline after the trade to the Mets, and the John Hirshbeck spitting incident. Barring that, he has been a member of two World Series winners and several playoff teams, was a great offensive and defensive player (10 Gold Gloves), and has made 12 All-Star teams. He was considered to be the best second baseman in baseball throughout his career, and has good stats - even though the decline curbed his chances for 3,000 hits. I think Alomar will be and should be a first ballot HOFer, but I'm curious to see if the spitting incident comes into play.

In regards to Alomar, the first years he played with the Orioles were the last years the Os went to the playoffs and he was a key cog of the team. And I was under the impression that Hirschbeck and Alomar were good friends now so I doubt a singular spitting incident 10+ years ago would have any effect on him making the HOF.

I think if a team in the NL traded for Randy Johnson, they'd be making a good move. Even with his back problems the last few years, he's pitched over 200 innings 9 of the last 10 years and he still strikes out a ton of people. However, that New York's not willing to kick in any help with his salary is a turn-off. Still, the (potentially) crowded New York rotation might make the deal reasonable. I doubt Randy'll ever be the unhittable pitcher he was a few years ago, but he's still the Big Freakin' Unit.

Guest Smues
Got this referred via SABR-L and I thought I would share it. An old Felix the Cat cartoon from 1922 featuring baseball. Some of it is potentially racially offensive, so be forewarned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWIUzCg23o8

That was entertaining, but quite odd. I liked seeing how dressed up everyone in the crowd was.

They would also want a 72-hour window to negotiate an extension with Johnson, who is owed $16 million in the final year of his contract.

...Why?!

I know it's been posted about, but I'm very excited and happy to see the Brewers are signing Jeff Suppan. He adds a lot of depth to the rotation, and you figure he should save the bullpen some innings. The Brewers should have one of the better rotations in the NL Central, if not the whole NL, if things work out:

- Ben Sheets

- Chris Capuano

- Jeff Suppan

- Dave Bush

- Claudio Vargas/Carlos Villanueva

Looks good to me.

They would also want a 72-hour window to negotiate an extension with Johnson, who is owed $16 million in the final year of his contract.

...Why?!

Presumably, Johnson would use his no-trade clause as leverage.

Suppan isn't the innings-eater he's been built up to be. He never reached 200 innings with the Cardinals and aside from his playoff run, he was pretty lousy last year. I think the Brewers are going to regret to the contract, especially considering he's going to a hitter's park with a poor defense behind him.