TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

Suppan isn't the innings-eater he's been built up to be. He never reached 200 innings with the Cardinals and aside from his playoff run, he was pretty lousy last year. I think the Brewers are going to regret to the contract, especially considering he's going to a hitter's park with a poor defense behind him.

How much of LaRussa's bullpen micromanagement was to cause for the decline in innings? He did manage to make 30+ starts every year. Suppan's value is that he is durable and consistent. He's posted an ERA better than average every year except one since 1999, which is a very good track record. He won't dominate, but he'll prevent the Brewers from falling back on options such as Geremi Gonzalez and Jorge de la Rosa.

Exactly. (Although Jorge de la Rosa was traded to the Royals towards the end of last season). Suppan adds a lot of depth that the Brewers are lacking since Doug Davis was traded to the Diamondbacks in the deal that brought Johnny Estrada to Milwaukee. I dread the thought of Ben Hendrickson or someone like that, starting for the Brewers again.

In what could be the start of something very messy, a Federal appeals court ruled today that government investigators are entitled to the names and urine samples of the 100+ players who failed a confidential steroids test during the 2003 season. Since it is inevitable that these names will be leaked to the public, there are huge potential fireworks coming in the future, starting, but not necessarily ending with one Mr. Barry Bonds.

Guest NYankees

Just what Baseball needs for the upcoming season when Barry is supposed to break the Homerun record.

Suppan isn't the innings-eater he's been built up to be. He never reached 200 innings with the Cardinals and aside from his playoff run, he was pretty lousy last year. I think the Brewers are going to regret to the contract, especially considering he's going to a hitter's park with a poor defense behind him.

How much of LaRussa's bullpen micromanagement was to cause for the decline in innings? He did manage to make 30+ starts every year. Suppan's value is that he is durable and consistent. He's posted an ERA better than average every year except one since 1999, which is a very good track record. He won't dominate, but he'll prevent the Brewers from falling back on options such as Geremi Gonzalez and Jorge de la Rosa.

I don't have any figures, but just by watching enough Cards games, Tony didn't kick it into micromanage mode until the starter was long gone most times. Agreed Suppan is going to be add some stability, but it'll be interesting to see how the change in defensive quality affects his numbers. Remember, Suppan isn't a big strikeout pitcher and the Brewers' defense is embarrassing at times.

Guest NYankees

NY Yankees announcer Bobby Murcer has a brain tumor and he is having surgery today to remove it. I hope that the surgery is a success.

In what could be the start of something very messy, a Federal appeals court ruled today that government investigators are entitled to the names and urine samples of the 100+ players who failed a confidential steroids test during the 2003 season. Since it is inevitable that these names will be leaked to the public, there are huge potential fireworks coming in the future, starting, but not necessarily ending with one Mr. Barry Bonds.

Wasn't it that if more than 5% of major leaguers tested positive, then the drug policy would be activated? 100 out of 750 MLB roster spots is wayyyy more than 5%. My math being awful, I don't know what number it is exactly, but it's damn high. I'm just praying that Jeter doesn't show up on that list. I doubt he will, but 100 positive tested juicers is a shitload of players...

NY Yankees announcer Bobby Murcer has a brain tumor and he is having surgery today to remove it. I hope that the surgery is a success.

I heard about this the other day. He had an MRI and found out about it on Christmas eve. I hope everything turns out alright, I really like the guy. Not great in a 2-man booth where he's asked to carry the load, but in the 3-man booth as a color guy is very good at his job, and is quite a character in the booth as well as his annual mic'd appearance in the Old Timer's Game.

Guest Smues
Zito a San Francisco Giant for 7 years, 126 Million (ESPN Radio).

That's it? Boras must be losing his touch.

(And only during this off-season would I say 'That's it?' to 18 million a year)

Guest NYankees

For anybody who wants a link.

Free-agent left-hander Barry Zito and the San Francisco Giants have agreed in principle to a seven-year, $126 million contract, SI.com has learned.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nts/index.html

Thats alot of fucking money. I cant wait to hear what Chris Russo has to say tommorow on Mike and the Mad Dog.

Maybe the Mets will go after him. I don't think the Yankees really wanted Zito. And now that Zito is a Giant, maybe Arizona, and San Diego will go after Johnson even more. We'd still have five starters if we trade him.

Maybe the Mets will go after him. I don't think the Yankees really wanted Zito. And now that Zito is a Giant, maybe Arizona, and San Diego will go after Johnson even more. We'd still have five starters if we trade him.

Yeah, but who would be the five starters? Mussina/Wang/Pettite/Igawa/Pavano is not exactly a bunch I would like to break camp with if I'm trying to compete in the AL East. Nate Silver indicated yesterday that PECOTA still projects RJ to be their #1 starter. His peripherals suggested he was more of a 4.00 ERA guy and not the 5.00 that we got. Of course, we know nothing of the severity of his back surgery, or how his age will continue to affect his decline (without any historical comps, we know nothing of his trajectory), but replacing 200 innings of above average pitching is difficult in this league. It could spiral into a Bronso Arroyo 2006 situation where the entire pitching staff cascades because they can't find anyone to fill the innings in a quality fashion. And before you say Philip Hughes, yes I know he's a special talent, but he's never thrown a pitch above AA. He's still a wild card.

Yuck. You can have him at that price. It'll be tough, but the Mets will be fine with Glavine/Hernandez/Maine and whatever rookies they throw out there.

Yes, I am. They still definitely have the NL's most potent offense, and probably the NL's most potent bullpen.

Yeah, but who would be the five starters? Mussina/Wang/Pettite/Igawa/Pavano is not exactly a bunch I would like to break camp with if I'm trying to compete in the AL East. Nate Silver indicated yesterday that PECOTA still projects RJ to be their #1 starter. His peripherals suggested he was more of a 4.00 ERA guy and not the 5.00 that we got. Of course, we know nothing of the severity of his back surgery, or how his age will continue to affect his decline (without any historical comps, we know nothing of his trajectory), but replacing 200 innings of above average pitching is difficult in this league. It could spiral into a Bronso Arroyo 2006 situation where the entire pitching staff cascades because they can't find anyone to fill the innings in a quality fashion. And before you say Philip Hughes, yes I know he's a special talent, but he's never thrown a pitch above AA. He's still a wild card.

The first three i'm pretty comfortable with, and i'm sure Pavano has been healthy since September but that car stuff got him in trouble. The true wild card is Igawa. We also have Rasner and Karstens who atleast showed that they can keep us in the game. And after that, yeah, Hughes, along with Clippard. Both dominated double A, and a lot of pitchers have made the transition from double A to the majors without many problems. They are going to start the season at triple A anyway, so we'll know then if they are ready.

Guest NYankees

I love how Red Sox fans act like their starting pitching is the top team in baseball. Lets see that have their ace who is another year older, Beckett who had a horrible year last year, another pitcher coming back form Cancer, another pitcher coming from Japan and another pitcher coming from being the closer. Randy Johnson is an old broken down horse with a bad back. Both of his playoff starts were horrible and the only reason why he has won 17 plus the past two years is due to the offense. The Yankees getting rid of him and his contract would be addition by subtraction.

This is taken from NYYFans.com about a possible trade of Johnson to the Diamondbacks.

Originally Posted by TheScooter

Keith Law of ESPN was a guest on ESPN Radio 1050 with Max Kellerman about 30 minutes ago

Law said the Yankees are holding out for one of the following:Tracy,Jackson and Quentin

The Yankees want two players(one of the above mentioned plus another player) for Johnson and would be willing to pick up some of the $16 million to get it done

I love how Red Sox fans act like their starting pitching is the top team in baseball. Lets see that have their ace who is another year older, Beckett who had a horrible year last year, another pitcher coming back form Cancer, another pitcher coming from Japan and another pitcher coming from being the closer.

Actually, they have a core of three successful, reliable 26 year-old pitchers to go along with two veterans who have changed their game to adjust to their old age. Wakefield is the #5, not Lester.

Anywho- has there been any indication about where Hillenbrand will play for Anaheim?

Not that I would have ever wanted the A's to re-sign Zito for that price or anything close to it but this has been awful offseason from a public relations standpoint for the A's. Don't re-sign Thomas, announce they are leavng Oakland, and now one of their most popular players goes across the Bay. Season ticket sales might be even more pathetic than usual.

The Mets need to look into trading for a proven young pitcher who is a few years away from free agency, or locked up for at least 2 more years. I'm not optimistic about our chances next year with 1 1/2 reliable starters.

Guest NYankees
I love how Red Sox fans act like their starting pitching is the top team in baseball. Lets see that have their ace who is another year older, Beckett who had a horrible year last year, another pitcher coming back form Cancer, another pitcher coming from Japan and another pitcher coming from being the closer.

Actually, they have a core of three successful, reliable 26 year-old pitchers to go along with two veterans who have changed their game to adjust to their old age. Wakefield is the #5, not Lester.

Anywho- has there been any indication about where Hillenbrand will play for Anaheim?

Beckett was successful in 2003 and it's 2007. His numbers and pitching performance last year was horrible. Papelbon was successful as the closer and who knows if that translates to starting pitching and going 6 innings every 5 games. D Mat was successful in triple A Japan. Schilling and Wakefield are both another year older. Every team has questions marks, so can we please stop acting like the Red Sox Rotation starting rotation is going to win to be World beaters.

Hillenbrand is going to play first base. The Angels were looking to trade for Todd Helton but were able to pick up Shea at a much cheaper cost.

I don't think anyone here is saying that, chief. They've got great potential and one can't help to be intrigued and excited with the possibilities.

Guest NYankees

Yeah, but who would be the five starters? Mussina/Wang/Pettite/Igawa/Pavano is not exactly a bunch I would like to break camp with if I'm trying to compete in the AL East.

I love how a Japanese pitcher from AAAA D Mat, an older Wakefield and Schilling, a horrible Beckett and a closer turned starter Papelbon have great potential, CHIEF!!! Lets not go around saying that the Yankees rotation isn't what someone wants to break into camp with and act like their own team doesn't have any problems. Every team has questions marks and the Yankees haven't gotten rid of Johnson yet.

Excited and intrigued about the Possibilities? Does D Mat match the numbers that Nomo put up in his rookie season? Is Papelbon able to pitch a full season injury free and is able to last 6 innings every 5 games with 2 pitches? Does Beckett give up 10 less homeruns this year and cut off .5 from his 5 plus era? Do Schilling and Wakefield pitch like they are another year older? AAAAAAAAA but the Yankees rotation isn't what you want to break into camp with. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. I think someone is throwing rocks in his glass house.

Where did I anywhere in my original post mention anything about the Red Sox rotation? I didn't mention them at all. You have no idea what my opinion of their staff is. Just because I happen to be a fan doesn't mean I won't criticize the team. I was just asking questions about the Yankees staff, and hoping to open some discussion regarding a potential trade of Randy Johnson. Get off your high horse.

That being said, everyone understands the question marks of the Red Sox this year. The reason certain fans are excited is because IF they all meet expectations, they have one of the best rotations around. Looking at the Yankees, if they meet expectations they are still only about average. The excitement is over the potential, not the actual.

Har Har.

Now that I've looked at it, it's hard to spot a single dominant rotation. There are rotations that COULD be dominant, but again there are a lot of "ifs" involved. If I had to pick a rotation to take into the season, it would be the Cubs'. But most rotations you could pick apart the same way you could the Red Sox.

The reason certain fans are excited is because IF they all meet expectations, they have one of the best rotations around. Looking at the Yankees, if they meet expectations they are still only about average.

That's just ridiculous. If the Yankees rotation meets expectations they'll absolutely have pitching to rival the best in baseball. Even with tempered expectations the Yankees pitching is better than 'average' on paper. Moose and Wang were better than anyone in the Sox rotation last year. Andy Pettitte was lights out in the second half last year and all of 2005. Everyone talks about him like he's Mark Prior, but the guy has made 30 starts every year after his rookie season with just two exceptions. He made 35 starts last year. Mussina, Pettitte, Wang...how many teams in the AL have a front 3 that good? Johnson, Igawa and Pavano are question marks, the minor league arms are untested (and everyone stop bringing Hughes into these conversations, we're not seeing him in 2007 unless there's an absolute disaster), but every team has question marks at the back of the rotation.