TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

Where'd you see that? All I've read so far is that it's likely, not that it's done.

In any case, it's not automatically a terrible signing, just a fairly risky gamble.

I canceled my Insider subscription a few months back so can anyone summarize Keith Law's article on Tim Raines HOF chances next year?

Mets signed Endy Chavez to a one year, 1.75 million dollar contract today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?i...ce=MLBHeadlines

A fine deal, if only because it means Chavez and the Mets don't have to go into arbitration. Also, a one year, 1.25 million dollar deal for Jorge Sosa is supposed to be announced later today, as strummer predicted. I don't feel Sosa's going to have some magical Darren Oliver-esque turnaround, but the risk is fairly minimal considering the length and relative cheapness of the contract.

Even though Endy will probably come crashing down next year (I still can't believe he hit .306/.348/.431 last year), this is still a good deal for the Mets, as he gives them solid defensive depth at all three outfield positions and a decent pinch-runner off of the bench.

I canceled my Insider subscription a few months back so can anyone summarize Keith Law's article on Tim Raines HOF chances next year?

Law noted that 17 of 26 writers he polled believed Raines deserved the Hall. He noted that the writers' perception may be difficult than the public's, boding well for Raines. Only three paragraphs in total, it was a blog entry.

Law noted that 17 of 26 writers he polled believed Raines deserved the Hall. He noted that the writers' perception may be difficult than the public's, boding well for Raines. Only three paragraphs in total, it was a blog entry.

If you think that the Bert Blyleven support from statheads is bad, just wait until they get their hands on Tim Raines.

Interesting news today regarding the next two sites for the All-Star game. Yankee Stadium will hold the 2008 game, in its last year, while the new Busch Stadium in St. Louis will host the '09 game.

I'm sure that, once we hit the slow week of sports news after the NFL Conference Championship games, we'll probably get an outcry of columnists demanding that the Cardinals make alterations to the press box at the New Busch to accommodate their coverage of the '09 All-Star Game.

A Devil Rays' prospect...in trouble with the law?!?!? Surely, you jest...

Dukes charged with marijuana possession

Troubled Devil Rays prospect Elijah Dukes was charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession after a traffic stop in Tampa on Monday night.

Tampa police stopped Dukes and a passenger, Willie Evans, for a loud music violation and, according to police, officers noted "a distinct odor of marijuana" coming from inside the 2006 Dodge Charger. After searching the vehicle, police found what they said was less than two grams of marijuana in the center console.

Dukes, 22, was expected to come to spring training next month with a strong chance to make the major league team as a reserve outfielder. The Rays initially had no comment on the arrest.

Dukes has been arrested several times previously, and also has been in trouble with the Rays, having been suspended several times last season for on- and off-field incidents. He also made headlines for criticizing the organization, including a much publicized line that "Those guys up there (in the big leagues) shower in Evian. Here, we use sewer water."

Also the Rays avoided arbitration by working out deals with infielder Ty Wigginton, who will make $2.7-million plus incentives, and reliever Seth McClung, who will make $750,000 plus incentives. They are headed to a hearing next month with a third player, backup catcher Josh Paul.

Color me surprised...

In Astros' news, this week the Stros have signed My Clam to a 1-year deal worth 2.3 million + incentives and today signed Brad Lidge to a 1-year deal worth 5.3 million plus incentives. The only arbitration eligible players left for them to sign are Ensberg, Qualls, and Everett. I find it interesting that so far all of the arb. players the Astros have signed so far have been 1-year deals with heavy incentives. I also am interested to see how Spring Training will play out. If they carry 12 pitchers, that leaves 13 position spots, which means that, since Loretta signed and I don't see Hidalgo not making the team, Jason Lane and possibly Ensberg (or at least one other person) will be gone next season.

And now C Ramon Castro has been signed to a one year, $850k deal. Thus ends any possibility of the Mets dealing with arbitration for the 15th straight year.

If you think that the Bert Blyleven support from statheads is bad, just wait until they get their hands on Tim Raines.

Interesting news today regarding the next two sites for the All-Star game. Yankee Stadium will hold the 2008 game, in its last year, while the new Busch Stadium in St. Louis will host the '09 game.

Raines is going to be a fifth or sixth ballot guy. Starting with about 40% and improving every year.

Rangers are inviting Sammy Sosa to Spring Training.

Carlos Zambrano has asked for $15.5 million in arbitration, Cubs are offering $11.025 million. Link to list of players who have filed for arbitration.

According to the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette (and ESPN), the long rumored Adam LaRoche for Mike Gonzalez deal is complete. No word yet on who else was involved. Tough to say who got the better of this deal. LaRoche is a realy good left-handed hitter and Mike Gonzalez is just filthy.

It's good for both teams, but I gotta think it's a better deal for the Pirates. They won't have to swap Nady between 1B and OF anymore and add a significant boost to their lineup by acquiring Laroche. Speaking of which, that order is looking pretty good right about now with Sanchez, Bay, Nady and Laroche anchoring the top of the lineup. The addition is especially good considering that Laroche thrives against righties, whereas Bay, Nady, and Sanchez do not (there isn't a huge split for Sanchez or Bay, but Nady is pretty miserable against RHP). What's more, the Pirates have plenty of bullpen talent left even after dealing Gonzalez.

According to the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette (and ESPN), the long rumored Adam LaRoche for Mike Gonzalez deal is complete. No word yet on who else was involved. Tough to say who got the better of this deal. LaRoche is a realy good left-handed hitter and Mike Gonzalez is just filthy.

I like the deal for both teams. Atlanta's got a few extra options at first base, while Pittsburgh gets a player they can hang onto for a few years. A team in the Pirates' position has little need for an ace reliever.

Honestly, the Braves could really surprise people this season.

All I can say about the Gonzalez trade is that at least the Yankees didn't get him.

Here's to 2007 and beyond with Melky :cheers:

Right, because a 4th outfielder is as valuable as a lights out lefty in the pen.

Apparently the Braves got a minor league SS named Brent Lillibridge in the deal as well, who is supposed to be one of the Pirates' best prospects. If that's the case, then this deal definitely swings in Atlanta's favor. From what I've read, he'd need another year of development before he's ready to contribute at the major league level, but when he is ready, he could possibly fill the gaping hole at 2B the Braves are currently filling with Martin Prado and Pete Orr.

...but when he is ready, he could possibly fill the gaping hole at 2B the Braves are currently filling with Martin Prado and Pete Orr.

Won't Willy Aybar start? He was the projected starter when Giles was being shopped around.

I've also read about Saltamacchia coming up this season to play first, but that may just be wishful thinking.

I pulled something up on Lillibridge...

Pirates System (updated 12/19/2006)

Excellent Prospects

1. Andrew McCutchen, cf

Very Good Prospects

2. Brad Lincoln, rhp

3. Brent Lillibridge, ss

Good Prospects

4. Neil Walker, c

Average Prospects

5. Todd Redmond, rhp

6. Brian Bixler, ss

7. Josh Sharpless, rhp

8. Mike Felix, lhp

9. John Van Benschoten, rhp

10. Justin Vaclavik, rhp

----

3. Brent Lillibridge, ss

DOB: 9/18/83

Height/Weight: 5-11/180

Bats/Throws: R/R

Draft: 4th round, 2005, University of Washington

What he did in 2006: .299/.414/.522 at Low A (333 PA); .313/.426/.423 at High A (252 PA)

The Good: Underrated prospect has no real weaknesses in his game. Very good defensive shortstop with above-average range, hands and arm. Solid hitting skills augmented by very high walk rate, surprising pop and excellent base-stealing abilities.

The Bad: Power he showed at High-A (two HRs in 201 ABs) is closer to reality than Low-A line (11 HRs in 274 ABs), though he projects to hit 10-12 annually in the big leagues. Can get out of control defensively at times, leading to stupid errors.

The Irrelevant: Lillibridge ended the year with an 11-game hitting streak in which he went 18-for-41 (.439) with eight walks and 12 runs scored.

In a Perfect World, He Becomes: An above-average starting shortstop.

Gap Between What He Is Now, And What He Can Be: Average – One of the minor leagues' hidden gems, Lillibridge might be ready for Double-A. His biggest obstacle to the big leagues isn't Jack Wilson, it's Jack Wilson's contract.

Could be, but looking at the depth chart, it appears that Aybar's going to be used off the bench to play 2B-SS-3B whenever someone needs a day off. But, being the furthest thing from a Braves fan, I couldn't say for sure.

All I can say about the Gonzalez trade is that at least the Yankees didn't get him.

Here's to 2007 and beyond with Melky :cheers:

Right, because a 4th outfielder is as valuable as a lights out lefty in the pen.

No more NL pitchers (especially from small markets) in New York/AL East, thank you.

Al should love this. From Buster Olney via FJM:

...[W]hile most teams are relying on on-base percentage, the Phillies have traded some of the crown princes of on-base percentage (Jim Thome and Bobby Abreu), while making a concerted effort to create a lineup of players who score high in intangibles among scouts, like Shane Victorino, Aaron Rowand, Chase Utley and, of course, NL MVP Ryan Howard.

Ryan Howard? Intangibles? Ryan Howard? who had a +.400 OBP last year!! Intangibles?

I guess it is a nice way of saying they show emotion. Howard doesn't have intangibles, he just knocks the f*** out of the ball. They did improve the team. They already had enough run production, so the smart move was to deal some of it for defense.

No more NL pitchers (especially from small markets) in New York/AL East, thank you.

A few pitchers with obvious flaws fail, so let's stick our heads in the sand. What a great attitude!

I rather keep Melky than get Gonzalez. Our outfield is not that young.

I think Melky does have some talent, but I don't think he will ever be a starting outfielder for the New York Yankees.