TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

Guest Smues

If they release the 91 set I'll buy it, although I'm still gonna cry at the end of game 7. What I really want (obviously) is a 95 set.

I couldn't buy 91.

I'd love 1995- I watched Game 6 a few months ago and still went crazy at the end. Although Costas blowing the Indians instead of focusing on the team that won pissed me off.

I couldn't buy 91.

I'd love 1995- I watched Game 6 a few months ago and still went crazy at the end. Although Costas blowing the Indians instead of focusing on the team that won pissed me off.

Costas in general pisses me off. First in that specific inference, you can debate the Braves were a better team at that year. You've got differences between leagues, long term records, the effects of luck in a 144 game schedule, etc. Besides that, he could not stop trying to find superlatives to throw into his series winning calls. There's nothing worse than an announcer who knows his call is going to get replayed. His calls are wooden, particularly his call of the winning hit in the 1994 All-Star Game. He sees himself as a purist crusader, which isn't always good. His book, Fair Ball, was essentially started as a 150 page bitchfest about how he had to go to Cleveland and watch the Florida Marlins play baseball in the snow.

Didn't see this anywhere...Jays signed Tomo Ohka for one year, $1.5 million.

That's not a bad deal at that price. If Ohka struggles (and I predict he will, mightily), he's easy to cut loose. I could think of worse pitchers to replace Ted Lilly.

Game 5 of the 1970 World Series

So I recently DVR’ed this game and had the chance to watch it. I knew this game might be painful to a Reds fan, but I thought I would share some of my thoughts from the game, the players, and the era:

*Bobby Tolan. Whatever happened to this guy? He had a magnificent 1970 season, looked great in this game, and then totally fell off the map. If I had been born 25 years earlier, he probably would’ve been my favorite player in my formative years, not Eric Davis. Why didn’t Cincinnatians adore this guy???

*Before Earl Weaver became “THE EARL WEAVER,” he must have been Jerry Narron because he had a .217 hitter batting leadoff.

*Some of these pitchers looked extremely awkward throwing the ball. That includes Jim Merritt and Mike Cuellar, the two guys who started this game (both had at least 20 wins in 1970). Legs going left, arms going right. . . I mean forward. Lots of wasted motion here. I am all for uniqueness and deception on the mound, but I think baseball has made great strides with pitching mechanics in the past 35 years.

*Cuellar had chicken legs and a flat BUTT. There is no way this guy would be a major league pitcher in 2007.

*Merritt got pulled early, he was bleeding baserunners all over the place.

*Clay Carroll looked like a real good pitcher, BTW. . . Even though he telegraphed his breaking pitch by slowing down his delivery.

*The network loved the behind-home-plate and behind-the-catcher camera angles in 1970. Apparently, they hadn’t yet optimized the use of the center field camera angle on all balls pitched.

*How did Johnny Bench last until the 2nd round of the draft? This guy LOOKED like a ballplayer. He had Popeye arms, thick legs, lightning-quick wrists, and pirouetted around the plate like a ballerina. In this game, he had a near-tag of Boog Powell at home plate that is great to watch in slow motion. Either the scouts totally missed something obvious, or he totally changed how teams scouted catchers.

*Bench’s 1970: .293/48/148. I can only think of one offensive season for a catcher that stacks up to this one: Mike Piazza’s 1997 as a Dodger: .362/40/120.

*All the fans wore suits to games in 1970. No baseball hats were to be seen. And oh, the fans didn’t cheer as much, as long, or as loud as they do now.

*For those who think the 1970 uniforms were the best the Reds have ever had, I beg to differ (on at least one point). The hats sat on these players’ heads like giant, red, Chef-Boyardee hats on their heads. I mean they were huge. And the wishbone C’s on those hats were bigger than the palm of my hand.

*Tony Perez had a closed stance. Closed stances are so passé now. In fact, I have trouble imagining how he hit 40 HRs in 1970 with a closed stance.

*Frank Robinson hit a homer in this game. Boy, that one must have hurt Cincinnatians.

*The announcers referred to Boog Powell as a “big” player. But by modern standards, he would be a slim ballplayer with a modest gut. Boog Powell was not as big as John Kruk, nor as big as Terry Forster.

*The Reds lost the game (9-3) and the series on this day. But the Orioles were the far better team. The O’s had seven guys who contributed on offense, they had an extremely deep bench of outstanding pinch hitters, and had four great starting pitchers who devoured innings. This Orioles team was special. But this Reds team was special, too. Seeing so many 20-something players is rare in the World Series nowadays. Three of the Reds' best players were 22 (Bench, Concepcion, and Carbo). It was a club that was positioned for great success

In the past week both Anibal Sanchez and Josh Johnson have been shut down from offseason workouts with arm/shoulder discomfort.

Regression to the mean?

Let's just hope those that underperformed last year (Jeremy Hermida!) can pick up some of this slack.

For those interested in pitcher misuse: many believe that Josh Johnson's injury stems from a rain delayed game in which he started the game and then came back in AFTER the rain delay to pitch again. This is one of the major issues that the front office had with Girardi at the end of the season too.

I hope there is no major damage for either of these guys or it's going to be a long year.

*Bench’s 1970: .293/48/148. I can only think of one offensive season for a catcher that stacks up to this one: Mike Piazza’s 1997 as a Dodger: .362/40/120

Javy Lopez's 2003 wasnt that far behind: .328/43/109

Also, while I Think about it, a lot is being made about the fact that Leo Mazzone will get to work with the O's starters for the whole spring training this year as opposed to last year where they were all gone due to the Baseball Classic thing. I dont know how much of a difference it could make but it at least sounds like something to keep in mind.

Curt Schilling announced on WEEI this morning that he will not retire after the 2007 season as he had originally planned. I'm happy with this, as long as he keeps doing what he's been doing and does it with the Red Sox. Now, if he burns us and signs with the Yankees, I will not be happy.

Well part if the interview this morning on WEEI included this:

But like Johnny Damon once proclaimed, Schilling said he would never play for the Yankees. "It wouldn't be in New York," Schilling said. "No. I could not make that move." Schilling hopes to conclude contract talks with the Red Sox before Opening Day.

Curt Schilling just posted on SOSH that all he wants at this point is a one year extension, at his current salary (no raises, no player options, etc.). He also urged the Sox to do the Helton deal, noting that with the exception of Barry Bonds he is the hardest out in the majors (interesting).

I am salivating at a 2008 rotation of Matsuzaka, Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon, Lester, with the Killer Bs (Buchholz, Bowden and Bard) right there waiting for their shot in the rotation. That could be a scary good staff, provided nothing crazy happens beteen now and then.

Whither Matt Clement?

I know that's a joke, but it should be noted that Matt Clement is supposed to be out the entire year with his shoulder issues. His contract expires at the end of the season. I'm going to wager he's not invited back for a second tour of duty.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Oh, I didn't hear that he'll be sidelined that long. Poor guy. Always liked him as a Cub; felt he got a raw deal when it came to run support.

Oh, I didn't hear that he'll be sidelined that long. Poor guy. Always liked him as a Cub; felt he got a raw deal when it came to run support.

He says he wants to be back by the All-Star game, which is extremely optimistic given his condition. Seeing as though the Red Sox have no plans for him, it's probably better to let him sit so they can collect the insurance money and then he can get a fresh start somewhere else next year.

I sort of unfairly hated on the guy. He had a decent 2005 and it now appears his wretched 2006 had far more to do with cascading injuries than a "mental breakdown" that was often reported in the media. Hopefully he gets his career back on track. A move to the National League to a larger ballpark (RFK maybe?) could be a great thing for all the involved parties.

*Bench’s 1970: .293/48/148. I can only think of one offensive season for a catcher that stacks up to this one: Mike Piazza’s 1997 as a Dodger: .362/40/120
Looking at some other measures, Bench's season wasn't nearly the greatest offensively for a catcher. He did set records for home runs and RBIs, but his .345 OBP sets him far back in the sabermetric measures. What gives Bench an edge is that he played 158 games. Overall of course he was a brilliant defensive catcher, so it was an all time great season when you add that.

He also urged the Sox to do the Helton deal, noting that with the exception of Barry Bonds he is the hardest out in the majors (interesting).

No active player with more than 20 at bats against Schilling has a higher OPS against him. The obvious problem is that Schilling and Helton last dueled on 16, 2004. Helton is not the same player he was then. I can think of better methods to evaluate hitters.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
I sort of unfairly hated on the guy. He had a decent 2005 and it now appears his wretched 2006 had far more to do with cascading injuries than a "mental breakdown" that was often reported in the media. Hopefully he gets his career back on track. A move to the National League to a larger ballpark (RFK maybe?) could be a great thing for all the involved parties.

This is the last year of RFK, I think. I bet the new park will be yet another bandbox.

Guest Smues
This is the last year of RFK, I think. I bet the new park will be yet another bandbox.

I remember someone involved in the design of the new stadium talking about how they wanted to use the new stadium to change the paradigm of ballparks. Oh and that there should be lots of glass to reflect the transparency of democracy because it's in DC.

Another bandbox wouldn't be a change in the paradigm of ballparks!

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

It'll be a paradigm-shifting dynamic reconstruction of baseball architecture system solutions that will reshape our concept of the game.

Oh and it's 325 down the left field line with lots of luxury suites.

Something I want to come up with: The All Trade Rumor Team. Those guys who seemingly pop up in a new trade rumor every month, irregardless of whether they are actually dealt. Aaron Heilman, Manny Ramirez, Melky Cabrera, etc.

C: Johnny Estrada/Jason Kendall

1B: Sean Casey/Mike Sweeney

2B: Chris Burke/Todd Walker

SS: Julio Lugo

3B: Aramis Ramirez/Adrian Beltre

LF: Pat Burrell

CF:Ken Griffey

RF: Jeromy Burnitz/Jose Guillen

SP: Kris Benson/Javier Vasquez/Barry Zito/Livan/Brad Penny

RP: Mike Gonzalez/Armando Benitez/Jose Mesa/Todd Jones/Mike Stanton/Baez

Tried to keep out the mentioned ones, 25 man roster.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
Something I want to come up with: The All Trade Rumor Team. Those guys who seemingly pop up in a new trade rumor every month, irregardless of whether they are actually dealt. Aaron Heilman, Manny Ramirez, Melky Cabrera, etc.

You'd need two teams: one for everyone coming to or from the Boston Red Sox, and then everyone else.

Alright Czech, since you requested it: The All-Red Sox Trade Rumor Team!

C- Jarrod Saltamacchia

1B- Mark Teixeira

2B- Julio Lugo

SS- Miguel Tejada

3B- Aubrey Huff

LF- Pat Burrell

CF- Andruw Jones

RF- Ichiro

SP- Roy Oswalt, Jake Peavy, Ervin Santana, Brad Penny, Chad Billingsley

RP- Brad Lidge, Chad Cordero, JJ Putz, Taylor Tankersley, Brian Fuentes, Jonathon Broxton, Aaron Heilman

BN- Lastings Milledge, Matt Kemp, James Loney, Todd Helton, Jeremy Reed

*Each of these guys was prominently featured in a trade scenario with the Red Sox in the past year. I don't know what's sadder... the fact that these many rumors get started, or that I can remember them all.

Roy O was gonna go to Boston? I had heard the Orioles and the Mets, but I hadn't heard Boston.

Oh, the Bonds deal is done. 1 yr./$14.8 million with an additional $5.2 million in incentives.

Roy O was gonna go to Boston? I had heard the Orioles and the Mets, but I hadn't heard Boston.

At last year's trade deadline, the Red Sox were trying to acquire Andruw Jones from Atlanta for Coco Crisp and Craig Hansen. They supposedly had a deal in place to immediately flip Jones to Houston for Roy Oswalt. Atlanta kept insisting on the inclusion of Jon Lester in any deal for Jones. The deal fell apart, Roy stayed in Houston and got his nice contract extension.

Sosa signs; says he won't let Rangers down

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Sammy Sosa has a contract with the Texas Rangers and a chance to get back to the major leagues. Now the former slugger has to go to spring training and earn a spot on the roster.

Sosa and the Rangers finalized a minor league contract Tuesday. If added to the major league roster, he would get a $500,000, one-year deal with the chance to earn $2.1 million more in performance bonuses.

"I am not going to let you guys down," Sosa said by telephone during a news conference with Rangers executives. "I wanted to come back in 2006, but I was beaten mentally.

"I feel great. My body's in shape. I'm ready to go."

The 38-year-old Sosa, who began his career with the Rangers, hasn't played in the major leagues since 2005 with the Baltimore Orioles.

"For me this about giving an opportunity to a guy who has done a lot for the game over the last 10, 15 years," Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said. "What really came across to us was that Sammy wanted an opportunity, in the true sense of the word, to prove himself. He still thinks he has something left to give and wants to prove it to the industry, to the Rangers, to himself."

Sosa is fifth on the career list with 588 home runs.

"All he wants is an opportunity, and the Texas Rangers organization decided we want to give him that opportunity," rookie manager Ron Washington said. "Sammy will tell us by the way he performs what he's all about."

Washington said Sosa would be primarily a designated hitter if he makes the team, but would still play a few games in the outfield. He could bat fifth in the Rangers' lineup behind All-Star shortstop Michael Young and switch-hitting slugger Mark Teixeira.

When Sosa last played in 2005, the seven-time All-Star hit .221 with 14 homers and 45 RBIs in 102 games for Baltimore. During spring training that year, Sosa was one of several players who testified before a congressional committee looking into steroid use in professional baseball.

In his career with the Rangers (1989), Chicago White Sox (1989-91), Chicago Cubs (1992-2004) and Orioles, Sosa has batted .274 with 1,575 RBIs and has hit 60 home runs or more in a year three times.

Sosa was the NL MVP in 1998, when he batted .308 with a career-high 66 homers and 158 RBIs for the Cubs. That was the season he was in the home run chase with Mark McGwire, who became the first major leaguer to hit 70 homers.

Sosa's first homer came with Texas in 1989, the only one he hit in 25 games before being traded to the White Sox. The Rangers signed Sosa at age 16 in July 1985, and his first minor league manager was Rudy Jaramillo, now the team's hitting coach.

"He's going to have to prove himself day in and day out. He's going to have to win his teammates' respect," Jaramillo said. "His talent, his ability has to be there. It's there. It's now him going and proving it in spring training."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

In spite of everything-the corked bat, the breaking his back by sneezing, the alleged steroid use, the years playing for the Cubs-I hope that Sammy Sosa comes back and does well, because, if he does, he might get another baseball video game, for which, he will have to do a commercial.