TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Seconded, because every time he's up to bat against the Cubs, Ron Santo points out that half his name consists of the letter L.

Guest Smues
I'm going to miss LaRoche. He had ADD

Trading him to the Pirates is unlikely to cure his ADD. har har.

I'll miss him too. I don't know why we were so desperate to trade him this year.

I rather keep Melky than get Gonzalez. Our outfield is not that young.

I think Melky does have some talent, but I don't think he will ever be a starting outfielder for the New York Yankees.

I suppose you don't count the time where he was the starting LF for the Yankees from May until September.

Weird trade for the Braves. They're trading a guy who's perceived value is considerably lower than his actual value in LaRoche and, while getting Mike Gonzalez adds another great arm to their bullpen, Lillibridge's inclusion as the big prospect of the deal seems a bit odd, since they've already got decent SS prospects in Elvis Andrus and Yunel Escobar. Someone had mentioned on BTF that Lillibridge had played some CF before, so maybe Atlanta's planning on moving him around the diamond a bit.

I don't know as much about Atlanta's roster situation, but does this mean you've got a steady diet of Matt Diaz or Scotty Thorman at 1B next year?

And, while this is a good trade for the Pirates, they could have just kept Craig Wilson around, if they wanted a first baseman that could hit.

I rather keep Melky than get Gonzalez. Our outfield is not that young.

I think Melky does have some talent, but I don't think he will ever be a starting outfielder for the New York Yankees.

I suppose you don't count the time where he was the starting LF for the Yankees from May until September.

No, I don't count that. He was only in that position because 2/3 of the original outfield was injured.

The Braves made a logical move today. They singed Craig Wilson to a one-year deal. I would imagine this will create a platoon situation with Wilson/Thorman at first, which will probably be as effective as Adam Laroche would have been, plus they got a killer SS prospect and Mike Gonzalez. I guess that makes the Braves the winner of the deal.

I guess it is a nice way of saying they show emotion. Howard doesn't have intangibles, he just knocks the f*** out of the ball. They did improve the team. They already had enough run production, so the smart move was to deal some of it for defense.

No more NL pitchers (especially from small markets) in New York/AL East, thank you.

A few pitchers with obvious flaws fail, so let's stick our heads in the sand. What a great attitude!

Tell me the obvious flaws that Javier Vazquez had.

Tell me the obvious flaws that Javier Vazquez had.

Pitchers are inherently unpredictable. Vazquez made the All-Star team in 2004. He was 10-5 at the break with a 3.56 ERA, and the acquisition looked like a major success at that point. What happened at that point is a mystery. If the New York pressure was an issue, why did it not faze him in the first half? Why didn't he recover upon leaving New York? It seems apparent that Vazquez lost something physically that wasn't disabling, but zapped his dominance.

I heard on ESPN Radio this morning that the Cleveland Indians signed Trot Nixon to a one year, $3 million deal. That could be a decent low risk signing for them. He at least gets on base at a decent clip.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Red Sox sure seemed enthusiastic to get rid of him. It's time for the Wily Mo Pena era.

Red Sox sure seemed enthusiastic to get rid of him. It's time for the Wily Mo Pena era.

Wily Mo is still behind JD Drew on the depth chart last time I checked (well, if they ever get the deal signed).

Awesome. Glad to see the JD Drew Hate Club hasn't lost any of its vehemence or venom in these dreary winter months. I hear he hasn't had time to sign the contract because he's been busy killing puppies.

From 2004-06 J.D. Drew ranked 6th in MLB in OBP and 11th in OPS. When he plays, he's an elite player. Given that he played 145+ games two of the last three seasons, I think his reputation precedes him.

From 2004-06 J.D. Drew ranked 6th in MLB in OBP and 11th in OPS. When he plays, he's an elite player. Given that he played 145+ games two of the last three seasons, I think his reputation precedes him.

He's also one of the premier defensive right fielders in the game. But he refused to sign with Philly and he's had a couple of freak injuries, so he must be a lousy bum.

He's also one of the premier defensive right fielders in the game. But he refused to sign with Philly and he's had a couple of freak injuries, so he must be a lousy bum.

Don't forget that he's signed(?) with the Red Sox, the goddamn most evil team since the motherfucking Yankees!

Don't forget that he's signed(?) with the Red Sox, the goddamn most evil team since the motherfucking Yankees!

Oh yeah and he goes home to his family every night instead of drinking like a madman and causing ruckus with the boys of summer. Not to mention he treats baseball like a job instead of the game we all loved and adored as children. What a jerk!

I'm looking at doing a series on expansion teams. Looking at the '61 Angels, I couldn't help but notice Ryne Duren, All Star. Duren was a dominant, Bobby Jenks style reliever for the Yankees in 1958-59. In 1961 however, Duren went 6-13 in relief work with a 5.19 ERA. Best of all, he walked 75 batters in 99 IP. It wasn't just a first-half fluke either. He was 3-9 at the All-Star break.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Quite the east-of-the-Hudson circle jerk here. And I like David Ortiz a lot.

Don't worry, everybody still loves America's favorite losers.

Al- a series on expansion teams could be really interesting, I think you should go for it.

Got this from Baseball Prospectus. We might be in for a very interesting year.

Round One

by Nate Silver

Just a very preliminary attempt to spit out team projections for the Yankees and the Red Sox based on the PECOTAs.

RS RA

Yankees 918 774

Red Sox 913 772

This is going to be fun. Well, provided that you live north of the Mason-Dixon line and west east of the Appalachians.

The J.D. Drew hate amazes me sometimes. From ESPN's Sportsnation poll...

3) How many games will J.D. Drew play this season?

34.5% 80-100

29.6% 101-120

16.4% Less than 80

16.3% 121-140

3.2% 141-162

51% believe J.D. Drew will play less than 100 games this season. Drew has played eight seasons (not counting his '98 call up). In those eight, he failed to play 100 games just once. Twice in the last three years, he reached the top plateau only 3% believe he will attain.