TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

Why do the Fish need a new stadium anyway? And if they want one so bad, why can't they pay for it out of their own pocket?

1) They have to pay ridiculously high rent at Dolphin Stadium and don't get any parking or concession revenue

2) Loria is a cheapass.

But WOW! I am SO glad that Miami gets to keep a pro sports team after all! Because after all, when I think of the great sports towns in America, I think of St. Louis, Chicago, and Miami.

Those are two reasons. A third is that they play in a football only stadium and one of the "reasons" that the crowds are so sparse is that there is a 75% chance of rain every day and the heat in July and August is too much for some people to bare... hence the need for a retractable roof. We'll see if that ends up being true and attendance goes up or if it was all just a load of baloney.

One other thing the page mentioned was that Jim Parque is coming back. Reportedly he is hitting 90 on the gun again, and a bunch of teams are interested in signing him to a decent sized contract.

One other thing the page mentioned was that Jim Parque is coming back. Reportedly he is hitting 90 on the gun again, and a bunch of teams are interested in signing him to a decent sized contract.

Amazing. Parque had a fluke season SIX years ago! He's toast.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
Why do the Fish need a new stadium anyway? And if they want one so bad, why can't they pay for it out of their own pocket?

1) They have to pay ridiculously high rent at Dolphin Stadium and don't get any parking or concession revenue

2) Loria is a cheapass.

But WOW! I am SO glad that Miami gets to keep a pro sports team after all! Because after all, when I think of the great sports towns in America, I think of St. Louis, Chicago, and Miami.

Those are two reasons. A third is that they play in a football only stadium and one of the "reasons" that the crowds are so sparse is that there is a 75% chance of rain every day and the heat in July and August is too much for some people to bare... hence the need for a retractable roof. We'll see if that ends up being true and attendance goes up or if it was all just a load of baloney.

Well, first of all, it's not a football-only stadium, because obviously, a baseball team is playing games in it. It is configured to serve both sports, though neither particularly well. Second of all, if it's too hooooooooot and too raaaaaaaaaaaaiiny with too much traaaafffic to go to the games that are too baaaaaad, maybe this isn't the right town for baseball. Miami is notorious for not really giving a shit about its teams until the victory parades: the Heat are a non-factor when they suck, the Marlins draw historically low crowds, nobody even knows that the Panthers exist, and even the Dolphins can't sell out when they suck. When the going gets tough, Miami goes elsewhere: this attitude has even spread to Nick Saban and Pat Riley. Haha. I don't blame them for this attitude, because there's a hell of a lot more to do in South Florida than fret about sports teams like a bunch of midwestern meatheads. That said, numerous Hispanics notwithstanding, Miami is not a major league baseball town, and neither is St. Petersburg, for that matter. What we're going to see here is what we've seen everywhere else: new park opens, sells out for a year which is easier to do when diminished expectations warrant only 36,000 seats or so, and then everyone gets bored and stops coming when the team starts to suck, just like the Pirates and Brewers. Then we'll be stuck with what's surely a really awesome piece of architecture that goes unused, with the Marlins stuck in some 40-year lease, confirming what we all knew all along: Miami doesn't do sports. I much rather would've seen another city get a shot at baseball, since I've seen nothing over 14 years that proves they're in the right place.

I dont know if were talking HOF or not in here, but I wasnt expecting Ripken or Gwynn to get in unanimously, but the guy who had a ballot and returned it blank because he cant vote for anyone that played durring the steroid era needs to have his vote taken away because hes just going to waste it for the next 15 years or so. I think you could say with 99.9999999% certainty that neither Gwynn nor Ripken took steroids..

Guest Princess Leena

I think there's a good chance every pro athlete has at least tried steroids... the temptation is too much.

But, Gwynn, yeah...

Now lets be serious who looks like they used steroids? These guys....

s_gwynn_i.jpg

Kirby%20Puckett%20Game%206%20Homer.jpg

Or these guys?

2006-02-28-inside-bonds.jpg

sammy%20and%20mcgwire.jpg

Heck it looks like Sosa was coming close to have a second chin grow out of his face.

I doubt Gwynn used steroids, and Puckett probably did not either. But you have to be careful about stereotyping body types when it comes to suspicion of steroid use. Just because a guy isn't big and muscular doesn't mean he's clean, and vice versa.

Case in point, the man who might be the Marlins CF this season...

g_sanchez_195.jpg

This was the first guy busted. Alex F'n Sanchez.

Apparently the Orioles are one of a few teams Darin Erstad is interested in..

I dunno..

The cubbies shoulp pick him up. He can play center and could be the b ackup 1st basemen in case D LEE gets hurt again

I doubt Gwynn used steroids, and Puckett probably did not either. But you have to be careful about stereotyping body types when it comes to suspicion of steroid use. Just because a guy isn't big and muscular doesn't mean he's clean, and vice versa.

I think Puckett used steroids. Compare a picture from his rookie season to one later in his career.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
Apparently the Orioles are one of a few teams Darin Erstad is interested in..

I dunno..

The cubbies shoulp pick him up. He can play center and could be the b ackup 1st basemen in case D LEE gets hurt again

Let's wait until Jacque Jones gets traded.

2) Loria is a cheapass.

But why can't the Fish pay for it themselves?

I think one was a Chicago writer that didn't vote for anyone. He worked for some paper that I never heard of though.

The Cardinals have signed Mark Mulder...for 2 yrs/13 million with an option for 2009. He probably won't be back until June or July which leads into...

...The Cardinals signed Ryan Franklin to a 1 yr/1 million dollar contract with another million dollar incentive should he make 29 starts (which he probably won't). This leads one to believe that Adam Wainwright will be back in the bullpen...and Braden Looper might not be a starter, which is good for the Cards, I guess.

Scott Schoenweis signed with the Mets. After losing Ryan Franklin and Scott Schoenweis, the Reds bullpen is down to 18 pitchers.

Dontrelle Willis, for whatever reason, is pleading not guilty to his DWI charges.

The deal for Schoenweis was for three years and 10.8 million dollars, which I guess is a bargain in this market even if I'm not completely sold on the guy's pitching talent.

Hate, hate, hate, hate, hate the Mulder deal already. This guy was arguably damaged goods when we picked him up in 2005 and he's coming off of rotator cuff surgery in 2007, so we could be looking at $13 million down the drain for virtually nothing. If he does come back and hit his incentives, the dollar figures skyrocket towards Zitoland and away from an ideal ratio of salary-to-performance...and, on a team with a young and uncertain rotation, the temptation to throw Mulder out there will be far too great, even if he's average at best, making those incentives a very likely conclusion.

The fact that his incentives appear to be playing-time based, rather than performance-based, indicate to me that the Cardinals still think Mulder is an ace-quality starter, which really makes my head hurt. I would have much rather given 4/40 to Weaver than roll the dice at full retail value with a pitcher whose mechanics over the last two years were borderline terrifying.

The Franklin deal is a much more savvy pickup, if only for the price - I sure hope we don't have to give him 20 starts, but I would expect more out of Franklin than Sidney Ponson, who we picked up at the same price last year.

I'm excited. The Astros are on the verge of resigning my favorite Astro from the years 2000-2003, Richard "Doggie" Hidalgo to a minor-league contract with a ST invite. Hidalgo was ass awful the last 2 1/2 years in Houston, New York, and Arlington, but he, unlike the guy he'll hopefully replace (Jason Lane), has had at least 3 or 4 good to really good seasons. And, if signed, he'll instantly become the best defensive outfielder on the team.

Oh, and they're also entertaining the idea of inviting Pedro Astacio and Paul Wilson to ST to compete for a spot in the rotation. And they're considering, supposedly, moving Chad Qualls into the rotation. Just shows how shallow (and expensive) good pitching is in the NL Central.