TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

What amuses me about that poll is that five of the managers have yet to manage a single MLB game! My ballot isn't terribly different from the totals though. I ranked Clint Hurdle dead last for his overuse of smallball in Coors Field. It's not like he's ridden this strategy to a winning season. Phil Garner wins most overrated, Bruce Bochy or Bob Melvin wins most underrated.

How did you end up voting on best GMs? I thought the top 10-15 were basically right, but I didn't necessarily agree with the order. I don't rank Kenny Williams or Omar Minaya as high as they ended up, but then again Williams won a World Series a year ago and Minaya was right there last season.

I honestly don't remember. If I had to rank them now, my top five would be Schuerholz, Beane, Jocketty, Shapiro, Cashman, in that order. Bill Bavasi is number 30, obviously.

Poor Fredi Gonzalez. Never managed a major league game but he's already the worst manager in baseball according to ESPN.com.

I won't have my Prospect Handbook until later this week, but I was able to steal Baseball America's team rankings from another source.

First impressions: I was surprised to see Colorado ranked so high. Was also shocked to see Kansas City and Detroit ranked so low. They may lack depth in their systems, but both have a couple of out of this world prospects. This is also the first time that Boston and New York have ranked in the top 10 for as far back as I can remember.

1. Tampa Bay

2. Colorado

3. Arizona

4. LA Angels

5. Milwaukee

6. Dodgers

7. Yankees

8. Minnesota

9. Boston

10. Cleveland

11. Kansas City

12. Cincinnati

13. NY Mets

14. Detroit

15. Florida

16. Atlanta

17. Baltimore

18. Cubs

19. Pittsburgh

20. San Francisco

21. Philadelphia

22. Houston

23. St. Louis

24. Seattle

25. Toronto

26. White Sox

27. Oakland

28. Texas

29. San Diego

30. Washington

EDIT: I don't think these rankings include the prospects moved in the Randy Johnson or Brandon McCarthy deals. I think Matsuzaka was included with the Red Sox, but not sure about Kei Igawa with the Yankees.

Colorado's got a ton of prospects. Detroit ranks lower because they dealt Humberto Sanchez and graduated Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya. Personally, I'm surprised Philly ranked that high.

Colorado's got a ton of prospects. Detroit ranks lower because they dealt Humberto Sanchez and graduated Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya. Personally, I'm surprised Philly ranked that high.

Detroit still has Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller, both of whom are amongst the top prospects in the game. Maybin will probably be the the #1 overall prospect heading into 2008.

Marlins at 15 is probably a combination of being number one in pitching and number 30 in hitting.

Cupboard for position players is just about bare but no club can even come close to matching the pitching depth.

Project as major leaguers:

Yusmeiro Petit

Renyel Pinto

Rick Vanden Hurk

Aaron Thompson

Jose Garcia

Jesus Delgado

Matt Lindstrom

Project as top of the rotation (1 or 2)or closer:

Sean West

Chris Volstad

Ryan Tucker

Gaby Hernandez

Brett Sinkbeil

And Taylor Tankersley (current Marlins closer - still ranks as a Prospect in BA rankings)

I think the Yankees can.

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but I agree with CW. The Yanks only have one sure fire pitching sensation (Hughes), but that farm system is just stocked with arms. Half of those guys could shit the bed and they'd still have a few that will crack the majors. I don't think there are any stars there with the one exception, but I guess it comes down a depth versus upside argument.

Cubs signed Cliff Floyd.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sectio...&id=2741448

I'm not surprised that he signed with Chicago, but it is strange to see that he'll probably be relegated to backup duty. Guess it's for the best considering how injury prone he is. Also...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sectio...&id=2741728

Mets agree to a three-year deal with Willie Randolph. I really like this deal, as I think he's a very good coach and will only get better with more experience.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Finally, the Sox have their gritty scrapper who misplays fly balls so he has to run into a wall to make the play really gives it his all and plays the game the right way in center field.

Finally, the Sox have their gritty scrapper who misplays fly balls so he has to run into a wall to make the play really gives it his all and plays the game the right way in center field.

Pfft. They coulda just got Aaron "Gritty" Rowand back.

In Astros' news, super utility man Eric Bruntlett has decided to willingly give up his jersey number, 10, so that, when he makes his glorious return, the great "Hall of Fame" bound veteran Jose Viczaino can return to wearing the number that he wore so proudly during his time in the JuiceBox.

According to the Boston Herald, the JD Drew to Boston deal is finally done and should be announced today or tomorrow. Although it's hard to pin down specifics, it sounds like the Red Sox will have the option to void years 4 and 5 of the contract if Drew gets injured.

EDIT: Deal done. Press conference Friday

The most bizarre thing about all the renovations is that they've somehow transformed the park from a hitter's paradise into a park that is starting to favor pitchers. It doesn't suppress runs because of the sheer amount of doubles that are hit off the monster, but it's the hardest park in the majors to hit a home run. Doesn't really favor triples or walks either.

I don't think Fenway Park changed as much as the other parks caught up to it.

That's partly true, but it also has to do with structural changes that have changed the wind patterns, or so I've heard from those way smarter than me.

It's near impossible to hit one out in Fenway (Drew's PECOTA projects 12 HR this year!), but you can rack up doubles big time. It's plays neutral I guess, if you consider neutral to be one foot in ice water and one on fire.

That's partly true, but it also has to do with structural changes that have changed the wind patterns, or so I've heard from those way smarter than me.

It's near impossible to hit one out in Fenway (Drew's PECOTA projects 12 HR this year!), but you can rack up doubles big time. It's plays neutral I guess, if you consider neutral to be one foot in ice water and one on fire.

Looking at ESPN's park factors, I can see where you are coming from. I would caution however that park factors are extremely susceptible to yearly surges. A lot of the park factor is David Ortiz hitting ten more home runs on the road and Josh Beckett's gopherballing. Looking at three year park factors (2003-05), Fenway Park is a very tough home run park for lefties, but a great home run park for righties.

For those who think it was crazy to give JD Drew a five year, $70 million deal, it's not as bad it sounds. If Drew gets hurt in the third year of the deal (or suffers an injury in the first two that carries over to the third) they can void the final two years of the deal. If he's hurt in the fourth year, they can void the final year. Both sides win (Drew gets more guaranteed money that staying with the Dodgers) and the Sox get the player they want but also have some protection if that shoulder really becomes an issue.

Looking at ESPN's park factors, I can see where you are coming from. I would caution however that park factors are extremely susceptible to yearly surges. A lot of the park factor is David Ortiz hitting ten more home runs on the road and Josh Beckett's gopherballing. Looking at three year park factors (2003-05), Fenway Park is a very tough home run park for lefties, but a great home run park for righties.

I don't know if it's true or not, but my uncle told me once that the Yankees and Red Sox once worked on a Ted Williams for Joe DiMaggio deal, for the lefty advantage in Yankee Stadium and the righty advantage in Fenway.

The Mariners signed Jeff Weaver. 1 yr./$8 milion + $1.4 million in incentives. Instead of focusing on how this will improve the Seattle rotation (incrementally), I'll, instead, mention how this not pretty much leaves the St. Louis rotation in shambles. It's gonna be a weak NL Central.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Actually, I'm pitching for the St. Louis Cardinals this summer, and I'll probably finish the year with a 4.85 ERA. I'll take the #4 spot. Rounding things out at #5 is "Puddles," a stray dog that Tony La Russa picked up on the way to work last June. We're still going to finish 5 games ahead of the Cubs.