TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2006-07 MLB Offseason Thread

I think that you could say Posada was the best player on his team in 2003, he had an MVP type season.

He is a 4 time All Star (2000-2003) as well as a 4 time Silver Slugger (2000-2003) Just a .241 hitter in the postseason, but he does have 9 home runs. He hit .444 in the 2001 ALDS vs. Oakland, and if you remember he hit a solo home run in Game 3 (The Jeter game) for the 1-0 win. He also hit .333 in the 1998 World Series, .296 in the 2003 ALCS, and .500 in the 2006 ALDS.

This from baseball-reference.

Edit-> I continue with the Posada love by noting his role in one of the best Yankee game from last year, the big comeback against Texas in May. He blocked the plate on a huge collision with Mark Teixiera when the score was still seemingly out of reach, and then he hit the walk off home run with two outs in the ninth inning.

Guest Princess Leena

There's someone below a .280 average in the playoffs and isn't declared the worst clutch hitter in history?

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

That's a pretty big blow to the Minnesota rotation. What are they down to now? Santana, Silva, and Bonser? I'm worried about this possibly leading to another White Sox run.

Matt Silva and Glen Perkins appear to be the 4th/5th candidates. The Twins rotation honestly isn't in bad shape. In fact, this is exactly why guys like Jason Marquis get oversized deals. People trust the known quantities over the unknown. There's no reason the prospects can't be as good.

Meanwhile, the Phils are close to a deal with Rod Barajas. I don't get it. Barajas has power, but zero plate discipline and a low batting average. He's praised for his defense but both Carlos Ruiz and Chris Coste are good defenders. It's a good move if Barajas' playing time is limited, but I have my doubts about that.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"
Matt Silva and Glen Perkins appear to be the 4th/5th candidates. The Twins rotation honestly isn't in bad shape. In fact, this is exactly why guys like Jason Marquis get oversized deals. People trust the known quantities over the unknown. There's no reason the prospects can't be as good.

I know, I should know better than to doubt the depth of the Minnesota farm system. They probably have more pitching than anyone.

The Cubs have apparently signed Cliff Floyd.

The Braves sign Chris Woodward. Braves fans better pray to God Renteria never gets hurt.

Honestly, how many MLB clubs have really good backup shortstops?

Guest Smues
The Cubs have apparently signed Cliff Floyd.

The Braves sign Chris Woodward. Braves fans better pray to God Renteria never gets hurt.

Honestly, how many MLB clubs have really good backup shortstops?

I read that Woodward will be competing for the job at 2nd.

Link

Story about Miguel Cabrera's potential to be the first $200M man in baseball since A-Rod and the second ever. Basically, without a new stadium, there is a 0% chance that he remains with the team past 2009 despite the fact that the front office does not want to get rid of him in any way, shape, or form. He will be 26 when he enters free agency.

Bud Selig has stepped in and ramped up the efforts to get the Marlins a new stadium, but I still won't believe it until I see it.

It's tough being a fan of such a small market team, especially one with such a terrible local fanbase.

Guest NYankees

Yeah it must be tough being fan of a team that has won 2 World Series in the past decade. I am a Jets fan who have won one time in 1969, a Rangers fan who have won one time in the past 66 years and I am a Knicks fan and they haven't won anything since 1973. God it must be really tough being a fan of a team with 2 championships in the past decade.

Anyone who pays Cabrera $22-29 million per year deserves to have their head examined. Unless you're talking about Pujols no one in baseball right now deserves that kind of money.

The following is a list of the ten most statiscally similar players to Miguel Cabrera through their age 23 season. The list contains six Hall of Famers and a couple others who have excellent shots at getting in.

1. Hank Aaron (959) *

2. Orlando Cepeda (931) *

3. Frank Robinson (925) *

4. Joe Medwick (920) *

5. Mickey Mantle (914) *

6. Andruw Jones (907)

7. Ken Griffey (906)

8. Hal Trosky (905)

9. Vladimir Guerrero (900)

10. Al Kaline (900) *

With the current contracts being handed out to mediocre players ($100+ to Soriano and Lee), I have no problem with Cabrera getting $200 million. We are talking about a potentially historic talent. He's already one of the elite players in the game and I have little doubt that he will be the best player in the game by the time he reaches free agency in 2009.

The Marlins might want to consider trading him this offseason or next. He's starting to get expensive and will definitely leave in free agency. If they traded him now while he is still under control for several seasons, they could get a king's ransom.

Cabrera plays in a no pressure environment. He's not going to get $200 million from any team and be allowed to live in that bubble anymore. I'm not saying he will fail, but no one knows how he'd handle the daily grind in a New York, Boston, Chicago etc., and even if he gets the money from a smaller market team looking to make a huge splash there's no guarantee he makes them a championship contender. Just look at A-Rod and how $252 million and all of the baggage that came with it damaged his psyche, his game and has essentially made one of the greatest talents in the history of the sport appear to have a shitty year when he "only" puts up top 10-15 MVP stats instead of top 3 MVP stats.

Guest NYankees

If Soriano can get a huge deal, Cabrera can get even more. \

What is the deal with the Mets? Are they going to get Zito or Suppan ???

What's the point of that move for the Reds? They have like...15 outfielders. Then again, at the end of this past season, they had like...15 guys in the bullpen.

Sorry if this has been brought up, but big story here in Wisconsin is the Brewers going after Jeff Suppan. Would definitely be a solid addition to the rotation. Pirates and Mets are also rumored to be after him, though the Mets seem to have stronger interest in Zito.

Guest NYankees

Especially if Zito doesn't go to the Mets. Why play for the Brewers when you can be pitching in NY during a pennant race.

Guest NYankees

I would take my chances playing with Beltran, Delgado, Wright and Reyes and the Mets bullpen. Plus the Mets are going to draw well over 3 million this year.

Cabrera plays in a no pressure environment. He's not going to get $200 million from any team and be allowed to live in that bubble anymore. I'm not saying he will fail, but no one knows how he'd handle the daily grind in a New York, Boston, Chicago etc., and even if he gets the money from a smaller market team looking to make a huge splash there's no guarantee he makes them a championship contender. Just look at A-Rod and how $252 million and all of the baggage that came with it damaged his psyche, his game and has essentially made one of the greatest talents in the history of the sport appear to have a shitty year when he "only" puts up top 10-15 MVP stats instead of top 3 MVP stats.

Yeah, he was pretty terrible in the '03 NLCS and World Series.