TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

WFAN in NY is reporting that

Guest NYankees

The Denver Nuggets. Just heard it on WFAN in NY.

Joe Smith, Andre Miller and 2 first round draft picks in 2007 for AI.

I can see why the Nuggets made the trade, but at the same time, I don't see how the team falls into place when Smith and Melo come back. Iverson is going to have to do a hell of a lot to create shots for the spot-up shooters at the 2 and 3.

The two first-rounders are supposedly both 2007 picks, which is good news for the Sixers. Get Joe Smith off the books at the end of the season and use that money now.

EDIT: The picks are the pair of first-rounders that the Nuggets had for the upcoming draft.

Guest Princess Leena

Glad the Clippers didn't trade for AI.

Let the Nuggets have the brick artist.

I can see why the Nuggets made the trade, but at the same time, I don't see how the team falls into place when Smith and Melo come back. Iverson is going to have to do a hell of a lot to create shots for the spot-up shooters at the 2 and 3.

The two first-rounders are supposedly both 2007 picks, which is good news for the Sixers. Get Joe Smith off the books at the end of the season and use that money now.

They won't have actual cap flexibility until the end of next year when Webber's contract comes off the books.

I have the same feelings on the trade as Al. With three first round picks in the draft the Sixers should be able to get really good in a couple of years. Especially if they continue to tank and manage to land Oden.

I also like the deal for Denver. Iverson is an amazing player who is going to be in full vengence mode. He might go for 100 one of these games.

Guest Princess Leena

Denver would have been fine without Carmelo. He's only good for scoring points. Championship teams aren't built on players like that.

Good God, Eskin is more unbearable than he's ever been on WIP today due to his #1 enemy getting traded.

Another note is that the Sixers now will have 4 of the first 35 picks in the draft this year. If they can luck out into getting Oden and package two of those other picks into moving up for a power forward in the teens, they are basically set for the future.

The Sixers could've done better I think, because the draft picks aren't that good. They are the 21st and 27th, and while the draft is deep, it's not deep on big men, and that's what they'll probably be looking for. With this trade, the only shed like 10 million dollars in salary, so unless they get Oden or Noah, it's not really changing much.

Agreed

However the Clippers need to trade Maggette for someone like Ben Gordon or Mike Miller. They need a 3pt shooter desperately

But the Bulls dont need a Maggette.

Yeah, this doesn't make the Nuggets contenders by any stretch, let's not kid ourselves. Had the Nuggets not signed Miller the year they drafted Melo, he'd likely still be looking for his first playoff appearance. Miller was the reason that the Nuggets' offensive game was what it was, and now it's all gone. Can't wait to see AI and Melo's non-stop, alternating iso plays for 48 minutes a night. Way to go, Denver.

They sacrificed a hell of a lot in defense. A HELL OF A LOT.

Not to mention that they have a lot of guys that need a lot of touches. This is a recipe for disaster.

The Nuggets? No one needs touches other than Melo and Smith. Boykins, I guess, but he's going to backup Iverson. And Iverson isn't a horrible defender; he also gets a lot of steals.

Nene needs touches to justify his contract. How many shots do you think AI and Melo need, and do you think that either guy is willing to make the sacrifice? I don't think either of them would, that's why I didn't want to see AI with the Lakers.

Let's also not forget that this "have two scoring guards and win" thing has never worked.

He wasn't getting any touches before Iverson, so it won't matter now.

I don't think it will make them the favorites to win the title, but they are improved a little I guess.

The Sixers could've done better I think, because the draft picks aren't that good. They are the 21st and 27th, and while the draft is deep, it's not deep on big men, and that's what they'll probably be looking for. With this trade, the only shed like 10 million dollars in salary, so unless they get Oden or Noah, it's not really changing much.

I thought it would be deeper on big men this year. Oden, Kevin Durant, Brandin Wright, Noah, Al Horford, Aaron Gray, Thabeet from UConn if he leaves early, and some Euros.

I would much rather have Brandin Wright or Kevin Durant than Noah if they come out this year. I would say Oden first, then Durant, then Wright as preferable options.

They'll also likely have the first or second pick of the second round, so those 3 picks could be used as a package to try and move up.

Yeah those guys will be there, but at the top of the draft. You'll take one of them, and by the time your next pick comes, they'll be gone (maybe Gray drops, but he's not that good anyway). The late-mid to the bottom of the first round, and early 2nd to the end of the draft is filled with talented swingmen. Chances are the picks will be like 22 and 28 or something (The other pick is Dallas' pick).

Anybody else get a real "New Jersey Nets" vibe from the new roster? Reminds me of when Vince Carter was paired with Richard Jefferson and JKidd. Some people thought they were title contenders, I never thought so, and my reasoning was that too much of the firepower was concentrated on the perimeter. Nenad Kristic just isn't good enough. hell I cant even remember who the other frontcourt guy for them was.

The Nuggets are slightly better in that Camby can do some good things on D, and Nene is ok I guess when/IF he's healthy. But I don't see the balanced inside-out attack. And the reason you need a balanced attack is because it STRETCHES the defense across the floor, forcing them to commit to either defending the inside or the outside, and only a great defensive team can adjust quick enough to defend both WELL. It's why only teams like the older Spurs and Pistons could really stand toe to toe with the Shaq/Kobe and Shaq/Wade type teams. It jsut throws the lesser teams for a loop, go one way and you're BURNED on the other end. To take thought slightly further, I really felt the pistons downfall last season was really losing that balance and becoming too perimeter oriented. When they tried to re-adjust in the playoffs, they just couldn't do it. in that last miami series the only inside scouring they could get was TAY, their SF, posting up. AI paired with Elton Brand, or KG, or Dwight, or someone, woulda been a killer. The Nuggz desperately need KMart healthy to even think about doing something serious imo.

I think if they mesh well Denver might, MIGHT, be able to take Phoenix, only because of the high octane offensive style, having Melo and Iverson being able to scorch out and score like crazy may work against a team like Phoenix, but they'll hit a brick wall in the face of the Spurs and the walking mismatch Dirk Nowitski and the Mavs.

My prediction is a semi-final exit to Dallas or SA.

I think they're still a one-and-done. Judging by the way Phoenix is playing right now, the Nuggets would be lucky to win even one game against them. I don't see them beating the Spurs or Mavs, either, and don't see them getting higher than 6th in the West, which would match them with one of those teams.

The Nuggets won't be a top 4 seed, and without homecourt they won't come close to beating one either. This trade may increase merchandise and ticket sales, but that's about it.

Guest Princess Leena

Agreed

However the Clippers need to trade Maggette for someone like Ben Gordon or Mike Miller. They need a 3pt shooter desperately

No, no. They can never give up Maggette. Few can match his slashing ability.

But, as Livingston gets more time they desperately need another shooter...

Iverson is going to have to do a hell of a lot to create shots for the spot-up shooters at the 2 and 3.
Let's also not forget that this "have two scoring guards and win" thing has never worked.

Anthony isn't a spot-up shooter and he isn't a guard. He's a prototype 3 who can score inside or out. He gets a lot of layups and trips to the line. His favorite move seems to be the mid-post face up where he can either drive or shoot his fadeaway jumper. He's not a spot up shooter at all, I'd venture to say 90% of his perimeter shots he creates himself.

I don't know, it should be interesting to see how this team meshes on the court. On paper they're very good, but it's dependent on them avoiding the "alternating isolations for 48 minutes" like Alfdogg said. JR Smith should be ok as he's a spot up shooter who'll get a ton of kickouts from Iverson just like Kyle Korver did in Philly. Personally, I think the combination of Iverson/Melo w/ Smith on the wing and Camby cleaning up scraps will put up a ton of points, and between George Karl coaching, Iverson wanting to stick it to the man, and Melo knowing his reputation just took a huge blow I think they'll make it work and be one of the better teams in the second half.