TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

Predict the next funnyman to go "serious"...

I don't think anybody is going to accept 50 Cent or Busta Rhymes or Ja Rule in a serious dramatic role ever.

People once thought Ludacris wouldn't but he manage to counter that assumption. Busta has already done dramatic roles with modest success. Ja Rule makes for a decent action movie actor. 50 Cent couldn't act worth a crap in his own docu-drama, whilst Eminem was servicable.

Go back to your Dane Cook myspace.

Cedric the Entertainer needs to be in the autobiography film of Barry White.

Cedric the Entertainer needs to be in the autobiography film of Luther Vandross, eat himself into a coma and then die.

I don't think anybody is going to accept 50 Cent or Busta Rhymes or Ja Rule in a serious dramatic role ever.

People once thought Ludacris wouldn't but he manage to counter that assumption. Busta has already done dramatic roles with modest success. Ja Rule makes for a decent action movie actor. 50 Cent couldn't act worth a crap in his own docu-drama, whilst Eminem was servicable.

How's 50 in that new movie with Jessica Biel?

How's 50 in that new movie with Jessica Biel?

Hilarious. (But not on purpose)

Anybody who picked Adam Sandler should check out the trailer for his new movie "Reign Over Me". With Don Cheadle. Hilarious, it's not.

Guest NYankees
Cedric the Entertainer needs to be in the autobiography film of Barry White.

Cedric the Entertainer needs to be in the autobiography film of Luther Vandross, eat himself into a coma and then die.

Cedric is too busy making horrible black remakes to white comedies. He already pissed on the grave of The Honeymooners and now he is pissing on the grave of Rodney Dangerfield's Back to School.

What about Tyler Perry going serious? I know he is making a mint off of Madea.

In the next year: Will Ferrell. We've seen it begin, and I'd imagine that a significant number of his next roles should be in the same vein. Steve Carrell and Jack Black also seems to be doing a similar thing.

In the next 3-5 years: No one immediate comes to mind, so I'll take a couple of shots in the dark. Jason Lee seems like someone who might try and make a serious run once My Name Is Earl comes to the end of its run - he seems like he could have the acting chops to pull off some more dramatic roles, and I'd guess that he'd want to distance himself from Earl once it ends, so dramatic roles would probably be a good way to do that. The other guess that I'd have is Mike Myers - he's due for a return into the spotlight pretty soon, and I could see him trying to evolve beyond the Austin Powers/Shrek franchises with some more mature, dramatic work. And it'd be really interesting to see if Myers could really act.

Oh, and five bucks says Neil Patrick Harris tries to take a dramatic role at some point in the next couple years to try and shed the Doogie/Harold & Kumar/How I Met Your Mother stuff, and it absolutely bombs.

wasn't Jason Lee in that shitty Sci-Fi movie with Thomas Jane, Timothy Olyphant and Morgan Freeman from a few years back? The one based off of a Stephen King story?

Mike Myers did Studio 54...while the character was certainly beyond eccentric, it's still a dramatic movie role.

He was in the Departed.

and he was a villain on a season of The Shield. From what I've heard, he was amazing in the role.

No offense, but anybody who picked Adam Sandler is an idiot. Punch Drunk Love came out like five years ago and it was the best thing he's ever done.

Go back to your Dane Cook myspace.

Crash did not make any money because Ludacris and Lorenzo Tate were in the commercials promoting the film.

I thought the question meant serious for good, as Sandler and Anderson are still making funny movies. I know what they've done.

Nah, I think the topic is about funny actors going serious for a role.

Besides, there are very few comedic actors that go serious for good. I could count them on one hand (Jamie Foxx, Will Smith for the most part). Though Robin Williams seems to alternate, doing a serious movie and then a funny one.

wasn't Jason Lee in that shitty Sci-Fi movie with Thomas Jane, Timothy Olyphant and Morgan Freeman from a few years back? The one based off of a Stephen King story?

Mike Myers did Studio 54...while the character was certainly beyond eccentric, it's still a dramatic movie role.

Yes, Jason Lee gets himself killed trying to grab a toothpick from the floor in "Dreamcatcher". It also starred Donnie Wahlberg as the retarded alien hero Duddits who likes to quote Scooby-Doo.

Lee was also in Vanilla Sky, though most people like to pretend that movie never happened.

As for Myers, he has "See Me Feel Me: Keith Moon story" apparently in the future.