TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

NHL Thread: January

This game has been nucking futs. The shootout has done nothing to change the status of this game, as a classic IMO.

I'd argue it's added to the status.

Round fucking seven. Jonathon Toews will shoot again for Canada. He's 2 for 2 so far. THREE FOR THREE!

EDIT: Save by Price! Gold medal game, here we come! WHOOOO!

Crosby's also the first to 60 points, netting two goals in a 3-0 win. He's also four goals off the Richard race, behind the 25 currently posted by Ovechkin and St. Louis.

He's actually 6 goals off.

That juniors game was amazing, and I have to agree with King. The shootout made it better, and I like that you can use the same players more than once.

Though I don't know what to expect from the Russians since they steamrolled group B pretty easily.

That juniors game was amazing, and I have to agree with King. The shootout made it better, and I like that you can use the same players more than once.

Though I don't know what to expect from the Russians since they steamrolled group B pretty easily.

Going into today they outscored opponents 20-3 in this year's tourney.

So what's up with Boston?

I guarantee something will happen within the next week that shakes this team up. Whether it's a big trade (not Thornton big), a big demotion or someone being given the axe, something major is going to happen.

10-2 is not only inexcusable and embarrassing against an NHL team, to have what equates to the Marlies beating you 10-2 is so far past embarrassing that it's bordering on criminal. Not only is this team not even close to a playoff team, they are barely an NHL team at this point.

What I would suggest they do:

- Waive/kill Jason York. How this man continues to draw a paycheck and contribute absolutely nothing is simply baffling. I've said it numerous times. Matt Lashoff was up earlier in the season and outside of a few rookie mistakes, he played fine. Same with Mark Stuart, who is coming back from knee surgery and still played better than York. For fuck's sake, we could put Bourque out there in his current physical condition and he'd give more than York. The experiment failed. Move on.

- Bring up some of the kids. I realize that "giving up" in January is not what Chiarelli envisioned happening, but it's obviously not happening this season. While there isn't a wealth of talent on the baby B's, there's certainly more than Hoggan, Mowers, Sauve and York. Send them all down and bring up Krejci, Karsums, Lashoff, Stuart, Versteeg, even Ben Walter. Come on up.

- Begin negotiations with Brad Stuart. If he's not 100% on returning to Boston, dump him. He's the biggest trade chip they have right now. If he wants to resign, package Mara+ to clear salary. Ideally, I'd like them to go forward with Stuart.

Holy shit, did anyone see the ending of the Oilers game? The Oilers were down 5-4, and pulled the goalie. Patrick Stefan has a chance to ice the game, with a clear chance at a wide open net. The puck hops over his stick, and he falls. The Oilers bomb it up the ice and Hemsky proceeds to score with 2 seconds left in the game.

Of course, the Oilers still lost in overtime.

Holy shit, did anyone see the ending of the Oilers game? The Oilers were down 5-4, and pulled the goalie. Patrick Stefan has a chance to ice the game, with a clear chance at a wide open net. The puck hops over his stick, and he falls. The Oilers bomb it up the ice and Hemsky proceeds to score with 2 seconds left in the game.

Ferraro came off as the bigger prick in all of it, but what a crazy play.

Guest Princess Leena
Buffalo should finally get some revenge.

Looks like I was wrong. And I'm glad of it. Heatley looks awesome tonight.

Ugh. Ottawa always dominates the regular season meetings.

Ferraro came off as the bigger prick in all of it, but what a crazy play.

I'm not quite sure what Ferraro was so upset about. I don't think Stefan was really hotdogging it all that much and just caught an unlucky bounce. The worst thing he did was try and poke the puck back in front of the net while he still had a chance at it, when he should have just pushed it behind the net.

Sportsnet really has the worst commentators for just about everything. Ferraro was worse than Joe Buck over the Randy Moss 'mooning' thing a few years ago.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=190846&hubname=nhl

I thought this was funny. Just remember the reason Jason Allison isn't playing in the NHL is because he only wants to play when the money is right. ;)

It's weird, since he had a pretty decent season last year (60 points in 66 games isn't bad), but the Leafs stunk when he was in the line-up. They went on their big run to almost make the playoffs after he was knocked out for the season.

I had forgotten about that shootout, though. I think Quinn even put him back in there once or twice more, maybe he figured he could make ammends by actually looking like he's trying to score.

Fererro is wicked in the studio. He comes on our afternoon show every day and is the best part of the station. I do not live in Alberta, so I have no idea how good of an Color guy is he tho.

My boy Savard scores twice and is in on the other two goals, scored by Boyes and (????). B's win 4-3. I was only half-heartedly listening, but I thought I heard Scott Oake say that both Chara and Bergeron weren't playing?

The Rangers beat a flu-stricken Montreal 4-3 in La Belle Province. I realize there's 40 games to play still, but that could be a huge win three weeks from now when trade talks heat up, as today's victory puts them in sole fifth, five back of the fourth place Habs, instead of what would have been nine. This not only keeps home ice advantage in reach, it gives them breathing room from the handful of teams still in contention. Don't forget that one week ago, this was a team facing a seven game losing streak and was out of the top eight.

I went to the Senators game this afternoon, a 6-1 squash of Philadelphia. The Flyers really have to be seen in person to fully appreciate how wretchedly bad they truly are. Nittymaki gave up 6 goals and really didn't play all that badly.

Big Z is out tonight against Ottawa and Brad Stuart might also miss the game.

Matt Lashoff and Jonathan Sigalet were called up, along with Hannu again.

This could be bad.

This could be bad.

Could be, but Ottawa never seems to play well against Boston for some reason.

Habs beat Atlanta tonight 4-2 after trailing 2-0. Habs at about three posts in the game, and Koivu recorded his 500th career point.

This could be bad.

Could be, but Ottawa never seems to play well against Boston for some reason.

Well, for forty minutes this was true. A five-goal third made things better, though.