TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

NHL Thread: January

Green got a bum rap in Boston last season, but I think he's probably done.

Oh and a fun aside, Boston is still on the hook for half his salary next season. How Green is any worse than the skating corpse of Jeff Hoggan is beyond me.

A 5-0 laugher by the Sens over the Rangers has turned into a 5-4 nailbiter with under 3 minutes left.

EDIT: Phew, Heatley wired one into the empty net to ice it, following a furious rush by the Rangers.

A 5-0 laugher by the Sens over the Rangers has turned into a 5-4 nailbiter with under 3 minutes left.

EDIT: Phew, Heatley wired one into the empty net to ice it, following a furious rush by the Rangers.

Similar story in Carolina. Panthers dominate the first two periods and carry a 3-0 lead into the third period, five goals in ten minutes later and the Hurricanes are on their way to a 6-4 victory.

I do not understand Dave Lewis.

Chara - 29:31 (first game back from injury, too)

Mara - 25:11 (probably his best game in a Bruins sweater)

Stuart - 25:09 (played well)

Alberts - 21:52 (played well)

Lashoff - 10:49 (2 shifts in the third for a whopping 1:38, 0 minutes in OT)

Jurcina - 9:10 (2 shifts in the third for 1:47, 0 minutes in OT)

I completely understand the top four getting big time minutes, especially Alberts who has played very, very well of late. But I think we can figure out now why the Bruins have been having such a terrible time holding leads in the third: THEY'RE EXHAUSTED. How long until Lewis realizes that in order for the rookies to be able to help you out in game situations, THEY NEED TO PLAY IN THOSE SITUATIONS. There is no excuse for Phil Kessel having less playing time than Jeff Hoggan, there is no excuse for not using Kessel on the powerplay either, especially when his one strong suit right now is offense. The thing you need on the powerplay. The thing that Petr Tenkrat and his 4:20 of PP time (0 shots) is not supplying.

Ugh.

That said, it was at least an entertaining game. Miroslav Satan will likely get his next month as well. Don't shoot after the buzzer, chief.

Satan definitely knew what he was doing when he shot that puck at the buzzer. Overtime was great with the end-to-end rushes with Ricky D making a few unbelievable saves, the point blank one on Murray being the best by far. That one Tukoinen (sp) made in the 2nd with his glove was pretty sweet too.

B's had the 1 goal lead 3 times and blew it each time. You are not going to win by doing that. Kozlov had a nice game for the Isles. He's shooting the puck a lot more and had lots of skill.

Bruins v. Rags starts the NHL on NBC tomorrow afternoon.

Thomas will likely make the start for the Bruins, who really need to figure out how to play 60 minutes instead of the usual 45 as well as an excellent defensive showing. Big Z trailing Jagr is more comforting than Ol' Molasses Legs Hal Gill trying to and being embarrassed. No word on whether Jason York is well enough to make the start tomorrow, but I'm sure that no matter who starts on the third pairing they're not going to get more than 11 minutes.

I'm watching the Montreal-Ottawa game right now. I don't think I've seen Montreal look this bad defensively in a long time. Huet gave up 4 goals on 20 shots and didn't have a chance on any of them.

Guest Princess Leena

Sabres with 50% of the starting lineup in the All-Star Game. Good times.

Big Z is Boston's lone rep for the All-Star game. Good thing Lewis isn't making the teams or else he'd've found a way to start Mark Mowers.

What are the requirements to play in the youngstars game? Two years or fewer in the league? I ask because they have Kessel but no Bergeron.

Big Z is Boston's lone rep for the All-Star game. Good thing Lewis isn't making the teams or else he'd've found a way to start Mark Mowers.

What are the requirements to play in the youngstars game? Two years or fewer in the league? I ask because they have Kessel but no Bergeron.

I believe that's correct. Rookies and sophomores only, like the NBA does on all-star weekend.

Fuku's from the E, LaBarbera can't make it through re-call waivers if he gets called up, Garon and Cloutier are on IR, Brust has a black eye that makes it so he can hardly see the puck. Fukufuji really sucks, so he won't be playing much more if it's preventable. It's getting the Kings closer to being able to pick Pat Kane, so I can't say I'm too angry about it. There should be a move made by the Kings before the All Star Game.

Cloutier's out for the year, so that's another positive. Fact is, Garon's the only goalie that should be playing in the AHL that the Kings have right now.

Garon is a good goalie, and its ashame that he's stuck in LA.

God damn you Habs defence. Play half assed, and this what happens when Huet gets shelled.

So can we officially lump L.A. into the bargain bin with Philly for the next six weeks?

No one else is really out of it, are they? Maybe Columbus and St. Louis....anyone know of a listing of player contracts by year? An efficient way? It'd be cool to see who might be available as trade start going.

Baron and I discussed this quite a bit the other night, as to whether a second-line centre or stay-at-home blueline should be atop Montreal's shopping list right now. *pulls into the lead after the 8-3 performance of yesterday.