TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

2007 NFL Playoffs

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

That's an interesting question. Would you rather have a team that hasn't won since your great-great-grandparents were alive, and has done nothing but trample the hearts of its loyal unwavering fans year after year after year, after year after year after year after year, after year after year (credit to Steve Goodman)? Or is it better to have a team that's sort of an afterthought and hasn't done much of anything at all but fill a spot in the division and have Nolan Ryan for a while?

I'd say it's better to be a Knicks fan than a Nets fan. It's better to root for the Cubs than the Devil Rays. I'd rather support the Jets than the Texans. Winning recently is great, but winning at all, even if it a long time ago is definitely better than being a perennial doormat or even worse a team with no support even when you win (NJ Devils).

You have a point. As bad as things have been for the Cubs, I'd rather be them than the Texas Rangers.

Ah, the Seattle Seahawks of MLB

As much as the new age cynical fuckwad sports fan

Oh, come on. Don't do this. This is like when vivalaultra and Banky will be music snobs like the rest of us until someone rips on Justin Timberlake or the Arcade Fire or whoever-the-fuck and they go right to "you're all such elitists! Have some fun! Listen with your balls!" and all that laughably transparent populist bullshit. We're all cynical fuckwads here, don't kid yourself.

It's one thing to do the usual shitting all over everything, I expect that. Shitting on a team because of things that are completely out of their control and has lead to massive suffering in the non-sporting world is completely perplexing, to put it in the most diplomatic terms possible.

And, again, renovating the Superdome was for the greater good because the Saints aren't the only thing that ever goes on in there. A lot of that money went towards simply repairing the place and removing the stench of human waste and despair anyway. In order to remain competitive with other similar venues (Georgia Dome, the still pretty new Houston stadium, just to name a couple in the immediate area) for Final Fours and Super Bowls and concerts and party conventions and other events that help keep the city's economy going it had to be done. Besides, it's not like the place was still a spring chicken before the storm. If you relinquish your stadium and only have the arena-sized convention center, you lose a LOT of potential business. A larger venue means more people coming into the city, staying at hotels, eating at restaurants, all that. Also, compared to the BILLIONS needed for reconstucting the whole city, $180 million to fix your primary venue in order to revive the economy is a fair investment.

Guest Princess Leena

Until another hurricane hits within the next 50 years and fucks things up even worse.

y bothr waking ^ im just gonna die n e way am i rite

Back on the team that prompted the above exchanges, I'm picking them over Chicago, but I'm not as confident in that pick as I am with Indy over New England. Ideally the Hoosier Dome would spontaneously implode and suck itself into another universe during that game, but whatever.

I just wanted to say congratulations New Orleans, you took advantage of the Return of Andy Reid as Shitty Offensive Playcaller and Scott fucking dipshit Young and you were slightly the better team on Saturday, or at least the winning team, and that's what matters.

I guess I'm rooting for the Patriots now because we'll get to hear LT bitch like a little girl some more.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Wow, I just realized three out of the four games (read: the good games) were won by three points. Interesting. I think both NFC games were 27-24.

It was a better weekend of NFL games than we've come to expect. And, I think, the NFC is showing they are more than just the pathetic troglodytes of professional football.

Other than the Ravens-Giants thriller, has the AFC team won any SuperBowls with a blowout during this period of their domination? In the 80s and 90s the massacres seem to happen almost every year.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Didn't the Broncos beat the Falcons comfortably? Even by the generous "blowout = 8 points" standards that I learned about today, they've been generally close affairs.

Yeah, the Broncos did dominate the Falcons...but that was after the '98 season, kind of the end of NFC dominance and not quite the beginning of the AFC's since the Rams popped up next. Since then I think the only blowout besides the Ravens game was when the Bucs destroyed the Raiders.

But yeah, the Patriotfans' new "8 points = total blowout" rule changes all of this.

Guest Vitamin X

I usually cheer for whoever the NFC brings into the title game (FOR DA CONFERENCE!) but I used to like the Patriots and I absolutely loathe the Bears being a Packers fan.

So that is why I'd like the Saints to win, and because they're fun. I don't think of teams in a hometown sense in football. Other than the Seahawks, but this is coming from someone who grew up in L.A. and currently lives in Portland. I mean, there were those couple years in Miami, but no one gives a shit about the team there unless they're about to win a championship.

So, Lakermania aside, I don't know the feeling of caring for a hometown team just because they're the hometown team at all.

I'd also like to see the Saints because it would be intriguing to see how the AFC team plans for that offense. Payton has a couple of big brass ones, so you know he would be throwing everything he could at either NE or Indy, especially with two weeks to prepare.

If the Bears make it to the SuperBowl I will cheer for them due to my History Fetish. I could never root for the Vikings though.

Alot of other people along the Mississppi agree with this.

Holy crap, the original telecast of Super Bowl XXII (Redskins/Broncos) is on the NFL Network right now. Ya okay it was a blow out but this is the first time ever that I've seen them finally show an old game.

Now looking at their schedule Super Bowl XXXII (Packers/Broncos) was on earlier today. On Thursday Super Bowl XXXVI (Rams/Patriots) will be on.

NICE! I watched a bit of XXXII earlier, but didn't know Rams/Patriots would be on. I haven't seen the full game since the original broadcast.

The channel has been almost completely useless to me until this moment. Next Monday, they are showing Super Bowl XIII, a true classic. I'm recording that shit.

They'll be replaying XXII at 1:00 AM EST/10:00 PM PST. At least the 35 point second quarter is interesting.

I already gave my response on the "blowout" generalization, Mordecai and Snuff, including mentioning that 4 of the 5 games I "generalized" under the '8 point' scenario were decided by at least 14 points. I merely said more than a TD simply because people were commenting how the Patriots rarely "blew out" their opponents thereby giving me the idea that they were talking about 1 TD or less victories.

Since you two know what a true "blow out" is... what exactly is the point differential accepted?

One could blame the Patriots for the lack of a true blowout game (just for you fellas, let's say 20+ points). Both Super Bowls that didn't feature them had point differentials of 27 and 11 points.

Only 10 Super Bowls met the criteria of a 20 point differential between winner and loser prior to 2001.

Okay here's the remaining schedule for the original Super Bowl broadcasts they'll be showing:

January 18 at 8:00 PM ET

Super Bowl XXXVI

New England Patriots vs. St. Louis Rams

Announcers: Pat Summerall and John Madden (FOX)

January 22 at 8:30 PM ET

Super Bowl XIII

Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Dallas Cowboys

Announcers: Curt Gowdy, John Brodie and Merlin Olsen (NBC)

January 25 at 8:00 PM ET

Super Bowl XXXIV

St. Louis Rams vs. Tennessee Titans

Announcers: Al Michaels and Boomer Esiason (ABC)

February 1 at 8:30 PM ET

Super Bowl XXV

New York Giants vs. Buffalo Bills

Announcers: Al Michaels, Frank Gifford and Dan Dierdorf (ABC)

February 3 at 11:00 AM ET

Super Bowl XXXVIII

New England Patriots vs. Carolina Panthers

Announcers: Greg Gumbel and Phil Simms (CBS)

February 3 at 4:00 PM ET

Super Bowl XXIII

San Francisco 49ers vs. Cincinnati Bengals

Announcers: Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen (NBC)

February 3 at 8:00 PM ET

Super Bowl III

New York Jets vs. Baltimore Colts

Announcers: Curt Gowdy, Al DeRogatis and Kyle Rote (NBC)

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Hahaha, Merlin Olsen. He is NOT a lousy BUTLER!

I don't feel like adding a new post, so I'll say here that Flik missed the joke in the next post.

Jesus fucking Christ Slayer, what is it with you and the Seahawks?

Okay, the Florida Panthers of NHL

There. Much better.

As for the games this weekend, I'll be interested in the Saints vs. Bears games the most. I'm kinda tired of seeing Colts vs. Pats, especially considering the Colts will find someway, somehow to lose it.

Okay here's the remaining schedule for the original Super Bowl broadcasts they'll be showing:

February 3 at 11:00 AM ET

Super Bowl XXXVIII

New England Patriots vs. Carolina Panthers

Announcers: Greg Gumbel and Phil Simms (CBS)

February 3 at 4:00 PM ET

Super Bowl XXIII

San Francisco 49ers vs. Cincinnati Bengals

Announcers: Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen (NBC)

February 3 at 8:00 PM ET

Super Bowl III

New York Jets vs. Baltimore Colts

Announcers: Curt Gowdy, Al DeRogatis and Kyle Rote (NBC)

*Splooges*, though the entire SB 38 game is on the 2003 season-in-review DVD that came out. Still....*splooges*

Curt Gowdy did everything for NBC Sports back in the 60-70s, didn't he?