TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenbomb

Oscar Nominations thread

Guest Vitamin X
I'm not just saying this because it was the first prediction that I got wrong, but I am flat out stunned that Pan's Labyrinth didn't win Best Foreign Film. That has to be one of the biggest shocks ever.

how so, the lives of others was fantastic. I've seen both films in the last two days, and the German film definitely deserves it.

While The Lives of Others was great, Pan's Labyrinth has already won a few other awards, so Others' win did kinda seem to come out of nowhere. I think Pan's Labyrinth deserved it more, personally.

Marty finally won. About fucking time.

Also, Forrest Whitaker deserved to win, and damnit, he won.

8 for 9, with one to go... Come on, Babel!

EDIT: Damn. 8 for 10.

Still, I've got the tiebreaker, and am now $15 richer. Hooray!

Edited by chirs3

Overall satisfied with tonight's winners. I don't feel anyone got robbed and Marty finally got his due. It was his time and he deserved it.

HELL YEAH! Best Oscars Ever. Okay, maybe not ever, but ones that I've watched. The only thing I would've changed was I would've given Children of Men the Cinematography award.

Two people I wish would go away after tonight are Jennifer Hudson and Al Gore. Hudson just annoys the crap out of me for some reason and Gore is just Gore. Ethridge winning was typical Hollywood pandering.

Still, MARTY FTW~! And good for Arden winning BSA; he was great as the grandpa.

Edited by KingPK

I love that Forest won and all, but it wasn't a lead role. He was the supporting actor and the Scottish guy was the lead.

This is the third time this has happened, Hopkins in Lambs and Kidman in the Hours.

The opposite happened with The Whale Rider, when the girl playing the main character was nominated for supporting actress.

No, Keisha Castle Hughes was nominated in the lead actress category.

The opposite happened with The Whale Rider, when the girl playing the main character was nominated for supporting actress.

No, Keisha Castle Hughes was nominated in the lead actress category.

Was she? Hrm. Maybe that was at the golden globes, then.

Another change I would've made: Riniko Kikuchi for Best Supporting Actress. Jennifer Hudson was really good when she was singing, but when she was acting, she was average. Kikuchi was much more affecting and consistent in her performance. But I never thought she was gonna win anyways, so w/e.

I just don't understand all the love for The Departed. While it started out slow they finally worked it up and made it pretty good to the point where they whacked Jack and Leo was brought back into the fold. After that it seemed like they couldn't figure out a good way to end things so they just went and killed everybody off. It was a lazy ending in my opinion.

Am I wrong or did Eddie Murphy get up and LEAVE when he lost? I swear Eddie was there until they said Alan Arkin, then Eddie was plain gone for the rest of the night. Did Eddie pull a Bill Murray but without the return?

Also, documentaries are about proven facts.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0096257/

If you're like me and you were intrigued by the Best Short film, "West Bank Story," it's available on iTunes for $2. Dueling falafel stands!

This got the best reaction in the room where I watched the show, aside from the Marty stuff. I'll be seeing it shortly.

Tidbits via IMDB's news feed section:

Little Miss Sunshine Oscar winner Alan Arkin wanted his young co-star Abigail Breslin to lose for Best Supporting Actress because an Academy Award win would ruin her childhood. The 72-year-old played Breslin's grandfather in the film and insists he has the child star's best interests at heart. He told Access Hollywood on the red carpet before the ceremony, "I hope she loses frankly. No, I'm serious. I am not joking. What, next year the Nobel Prize? It's enough. She has had enough attention." Arkin says he just wants the 10-year-old to enjoy her childhood innocence adding, "I love her and I love her family. I feel enough is enough. She is a kid, she needs to have a childhood." Dreamgirls star Jennifer Hudson eventually ended up winning the prize over Breslin.

Director Martin Scorsese is glad he didn't receive an Academy Award for directing earlier in his career, because it might have changed the way he made movies. Scorsese had received six nominations for directing and eight nominations overall in his 40-year career, before winning for The Departed on Sunday night. He explains, "I've just been used to not winning. It's about getting the pictures made. But when you win something, you appreciate it." After making The Aviator, Scorsese says he decided, "To just relax and make the best film we can." He adds, "Good thing I didn't get (the Oscar) before, because maybe it would have changed the kind of movies I would have made. I don't know if I was strong enough. I'm glad it's taken this long. It's been worth it."

And to affirm 2GOLD's observation:

Dreamgirls star Eddie Murphy was so devastated after losing the Best Supporting Actor Academy Award to Alan Arkin he stormed out of the ceremony, according to press reports in the US, including Roger Friedman of FoxNews.com. Murphy was the favorite to win the Oscar, which instead was awarded to Little Miss Sunshine star Arkin. The 45-year-old tried to downplay his disappointment telling American publication Us Weekly, "It's fine. It happens. It's OK." But shortly thereafter, Murphy and girlfriend Tracey Edmonds left the show and didn't return. Murphy missed out on his Dreamgirls cast mates Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Hudson and Anika Noni Rose performing songs from the film, as well as Hudson's win for Best Supporting Actress.