TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ravenbomb

Oscar Nominations thread

I just looked over the official list, Pan's Labyrinth got 6 nominations, SIX.

I have to see this movie soon

What EXACTLY about "The Devil wears Prada" said Best Costume Design? So many other movies should have got that nomination.

The Prestige and The Illusionist nailed one down for Cinematography. The Prestige also got a nod for Art Direction, so that's not too bad.

Ok, DreamGirls gets THREE nods for Best Song? Come on now. I mean seriously. And "I need to wake up" from An Inconvenient Truth? That is a horrible, horrible category that DreamGirls cannot lose. Unless you think Rascal Flatts is going to swoop in and rip it away. Which I gotta admit, I would laugh for hours.

Of the big time nods, it got one. That's pretty damn shocking. And since Clint doesn't need another paperweight, they'll give it to the 93 guy because it was such an emotional film. Getting the minor ones may matter to the people who worked on the film, but missing the big ones is damn shocking.

It got 2, they damn sure didn't overlook Jennifer Hudson

Oh yeah, I missed that. I got confused when half the cast of "Babel" was getting a nomination.

ironically, it's a supporting oscar for his role as a former child molester in "Little Children".

Well, when the last role you had before then was a bit part in Maniac Cop 3, I think you take what you can get.

These Oscars look so predictable. You can call pretty much all of the major awards. I'd like to see Scorcese win but they'll probably give best picture and director to Babel.

So how about Mark Walhberg getting an Oscar Nod.

Thats awesome. Though I do think Leo should have gotten the nod for The Departed instead of Blood Diamond.

The one that surprised me the most was RYAN FREAKIN' GOSLING got a best actor nod. I didn't see the movie so I won't judge but it's hard to take the dude seriously after "The Notebook". Eveything else is pretty much what I expected and I'm dissapointed that Children Of Men didn't get jack shit.

I didn't see the movie but Forest Whitaker deserves an Oscar because he's simply awesome, for years he's been my favorite African American actor (yea, Fuck you Denzel and fuck off, Freedman) and it's soothing to hear that he got some recognition.

Though I do think Leo should have gotten the nod for The Departed instead of Blood Diamond.

yeah that seemed a bit odd...of course, I haven't seen either movie so my opinion goes strictly off of trailers and making of specials and what not.

It looks like Eddie will get one and Jennifer Hudson will get one so I am cool.

Dreamgirls, like I said in the thread, shouldn't be up for best picture because it wasn't one of the best movies this year. Tehy adapted a 3 hour stage play into a 2 hour movie and it showed with the lack of character development and pacing.

Also, if the little girl from Little Miss Sunshine wins the best supporting actress award, will she now be the youngest oscar winner ever or do Tatum O' Neil and Anna Paquin own her in that?

Here's a partial list of nominations

Best Motion Picture of the Year

- "Babel"

- "Letters from Iwo Jima"

- "The Queen"

- "The Departed"

- "Little Miss Sunshine"

Achievement in Directing

- Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel"

- Martin Scorsese, "The Departed"

- Stephen Frears, "The Queen"

- Paul Greengrass, "United 93"

- Clint Eastwood, "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

- Leonardo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond"

- Peter O'Toole, "Venus"

- Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland"

- Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness"

- Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson"

Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

- Helen Mirren, "The Queen"

- Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada"

- Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal"

- Kate Winslet, "Little Children"

- Penelope Cruz, "Volver"

Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

- Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls"

- Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine"

- Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed"

- Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children"

- Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"

Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

- Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls"

- Cate Blachett, "Notes on a Scandal"

- Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel"

- Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine"

- Adriana Barraza, "Babel"

Original Screenplay

- Peter Morgan, "The Queen"

- Guillermo Arriaga, "Babel"

- Michael Arndt, "Little Miss Sunshine"

- Guillermo del Toro, "Pan's Labyrinth"

- Iris Yamashita, Paul Haggis, "Letters from Iwo Jima"

Adapted Screenplay

- William Monahan, "The Departed"

- Todd Field and Tom Perrotta, "Little Children"

- Sacha Baron Cohen & Anthony Hines & Peter Baynham & Dan Mazer, "Borat"

- Alfonso Cuaron, Timothy J. Sexton, David Arata, Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, "Children of Men"

- Patrick Marber, "Notes on a Scandal"

Best Foreign Language Feature

- "After the Wedding"

- "Days of Glory"

- "The Lives of Others"

- "Pan's Labyrinth"

- "Water"

Best Animated Feature

- "Cars"

- "Happy Feet"

- "Monster House"

Just curious, but what is Borat adapted from? The character is adapted from the small screen sure, but isn't the movie itself original?

Edited by starvenger

The one that surprised me the most was RYAN FREAKIN' GOSLING got a best actor nod. I didn't see the movie so I won't judge but it's hard to take the dude seriously after "The Notebook". Eveything else is pretty much what I expected and I'm dissapointed that Children Of Men didn't get jack shit.

I didn't see the movie but Forest Whitaker deserves an Oscar because he's simply awesome, for years he's been my favorite African American actor (yea, Fuck you Denzel and fuck off, Freedman) and it's soothing to hear that he got some recognition.

Gosling is a tremendous actor. His work in "The Believer" cemented that status alone but he was really good in "Half Nelson". Don't judge him for a role in a romantic movie. If we're judging people on past performences, look at Smith in" Bad Boys II" and "Wild Wild West", Whitaker in "Light It Up" or "Battlefield Earth" or O Toole in "Phantoms" and who knows what else in his long career. Many great actors have a "bad" mark on their record (and Notebook wasn't really a bad movie).

United 93 getting a best picture snub I don't agree with, and I think there were better candidates then Will Smith and Abigail Breslin.

I'm glad Little Children got some love.

Just curious, but what is Borat adapted from? The character is adapted from the small screen sure, but isn't the movie itself original?

That's what I'm wondering. The most effective scenes of the film surely had to be improvved and made up on the fly -- maybe he wrote down some jokes, but I'm confused about the nod. Maybe they just wanted to squeeze him in somewhere. That's not even worth showing up for, really.

Borat's not an original character, the movie was adapted from the TV show. That's why it's adapted screenplay.

Yuna and I aren't questioning the former. We were just wondering what the criteria for "adapted" was, since there's no real script to adapt, you know? But you're saying that because the character and concept originated somewhere else, then it's not considered "original". So I think we're good.

William Hurt got nominated for what? a whole whopping 10 minutes in "A History of Violence".

That nod still confuses me. Yeah he was great but seriously, he wasn't in it enough to justify that nomination.

Dreamgirls was a victim of its own hype.

I think Mark Wahlberg was in the movie a fair amount.

Plus at the end, his character pays off the whole story.

I'm glad Notes on a Scandal also wasn't ignored.

I doubt I'll even tune in to watch this year. If Children of Men had actually, ya know, been nominated for something I might've but that's a pretty uneven list with some serious omissions and some undeserving nods.

While I think Scorcese deserves to win, Clint did a fantastic job with Letters so it wouldn't be a miscarriage of justice if he won.

And it'd be so funny.

Aside from Will Smith, none of the nominations really bother me all that much.